Noctis

Noctis' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far...TOP TEN BEGINS

127_hours_movie_poster_large_slice_01.jp

44. 127 HOURS

"The minute I was born, every breath I've taken, every action has been leading me to this crack on the earth's surface."

If anyone needs to see a film that shows how our minds and bodies work so hard to preserve us and come out of a life-threatening situation, look no further than 127 Hours. It's a great film with an amazing performance from James Franco as a man that gets his hand stuck under a boulder, and the desperate measures he takes in order to keep himself alive against devastating odds. It brings home the magnitude of the resilience we all carry. 

whiplash-2.jpg

43. WHIPLASH

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "good job."

Whiplash is one giant pointed finger that makes almost everyone (and rightfully so) feel guilty for not doing more with whatever talent they may have. Never before in my life have I ever seen a film that so strongly studies ambition, and the costs some people are willing to take in order to achieve their dreams. It's a fascinating psychological study on what drives us and how different each person is when it comes to fulfilling their life goals (sadly, most do not). The most important thing about the film is that it cautions you about the dangers of measuring yourself up to your mentor. I'm sure everyone here has someone somewhere in the world they really look up to, and that's a good thing to an extent. When you start imitating or trying to achieve what they have achieved, then you're basically becoming a cloned version of that person - which kills all your individuality. If there is one thing the world has taught us about people, it's that the men and women we remember most today never followed the rules. They created and cemented their own path. Yea, you're not doing so great in terms of what you can accomplish. Good. At least this film will make you more aware of it. 

JK Simmons is absolutely phenomenal, and Miles Teller is fantastic. Despite having a face worthy of a punch, he still deserved more recognition.

• Like 10

Noah-2019-HD-screencaps.jpg

42. NOAH

"I'm not alone."

Easily the most polarizing film to come out from 2014. I personally found it to be a very ambitious and unique film, and Aronofsky actually managed to fulfil most of it. It's so rare these days to see a giant-budget film where the director's vision radiates from the screen, and on that alone, it's worthy of praise. The Noah story is a very short fable in the Abrahamic religions where we know little to nothing about what goes on inside the head of the character. And the Noah we get becomes more fundamental and radical as time goes on because of how dutiful he feels towards carrying out God's plan. That is a major theme in all of Aronofsky's films: madness. And Crowe gives a terrifying performance that's among the very best in his career. Emma Watson and Jennifer Connelly were my personal favorites, though, and they gave the film most of its pathos. They were the heart and soul of Noah. It's a film that had people debating for weeks, and that is never a bad thing. And let me ask you...you think it's strange or somehow offensive to depict the man that spared only his family (when he could have saved more) as someone with a dark and very absolute moral compass? 

boyhood-1.jpg?w=470&h=299

41. BOYHOOD 

"You know how everyone's always saying seize the moment? I don't know, I'm kind of thinking it's the other way around, you know...like the moment seizes us."

The high after watching this film for the first time has died down a bit, and it's a film I have come to admire more than I love it. But it's a difficult film to review. I was floored at how it was simultaneously both vast and intimate, and is without a doubt a fantastic achievement in filmmaking and creative storytelling. It's all but impossible to ignore the scale and ambition of what was accomplished.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 5

OMG it's finally started!

The Dictator - it started off fabulously, and I agree that Sacha Baron-Cohen is the best comedy actor. His characters are amazingly funny, and the dictator is better than Borat and Bruno. Unfortunately, after the first act is done and the dictator stops being a dictator, it degenerates into toilet humour - fart gags, pubic hair gags, vomit and sex jokes, etc. It's a shame that so much of the film is crap, because when the movie shines, it REALLY shines.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - awesome choice. Really, really good film, an intelligent blockbuster. This series continues to amaze us all.

Locke - you have a weird obsession with Tom Hardy's lips...

The Lego Movie - yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. I disagree about the live-action bit though, that was easily the best part of the film and is what makes the movie as a whole work so well.

127 Hours - I agree with every word. Franco is surprisingly good in it as well.

Whiplash - is it odd that I didn't feel guilty about not using talent that I have? I love the film but didn't feel that at all.

Noah - thank you for putting this film here. I don't think it's anything special but it's much better than most people give it credit for.

You're a complete dick if TWS didn't make you tear up so in that case you're not a complete dick.

Which bit of TWS was meant to be sad? I didn't have any emotional response to that movie. It was okay, but nothing that moved me (or, incidentally, made me care about the characters).

• Like 1

OMG it's finally started!

The Dictator - it started off fabulously, and I agree that Sacha Baron-Cohen is the best comedy actor. His characters are amazingly funny, and the dictator is better than Borat and Bruno. Unfortunately, after the first act is done and the dictator stops being a dictator, it degenerates into toilet humour - fart gags, pubic hair gags, vomit and sex jokes, etc. It's a shame that so much of the film is crap, because when the movie shines, it REALLY shines.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - awesome choice. Really, really good film, an intelligent blockbuster. This series continues to amaze us all.

Locke - you have a weird obsession with Tom Hardy's lips...

The Lego Movie - yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. I disagree about the live-action bit though, that was easily the best part of the film and is what makes the movie as a whole work so well.

127 Hours - I agree with every word. Franco is surprisingly good in it as well.

Whiplash - is it odd that I didn't feel guilty about not using talent that I have? I love the film but didn't feel that at all.

Noah - thank you for putting this film here. I don't think it's anything special but it's much better than most people give it credit for.

Which bit of TWS was meant to be sad? I didn't have any emotional response to that movie. It was okay, but nothing that moved me (or, incidentally, made me care about the characters).

The moment when Steve tells Bucky “Because I'm with you to the end of the line" is what got me.

Stop talking about TWS, Ethan. It's not gonna be on this list. If you're going to discuss something, let it be about another movie (and NOT FIOS). My thread shouldn't be inundated by you repeating the same thing for two goddamn pages.

We get it. You cried. Congratulations. Now let's move on.

• Like 3

Stop talking about TWS, Ethan. It's not gonna be on this list. If you're going to discuss something, let it be about another movie (and NOT FIOS). My thread shouldn't be inundated by you repeating the same thing for two goddamn pages.

Another individual asked me about it so fuck off Noctis l, I'll talk about whatever the hell I want to talk about.

Transformers?

• Like 1

I might as well start talking about random shit of that well piss him off.

You can. It won't piss me off because nobody takes you seriously. Also, if you're gonna post stuff with the intent on "pissing" me off, then you're gonna get banned from this thread.

Your call, little boy.

• Like 2

This is literally the most ironic thing I've ever read

That's nice.

I'm actually really proud of you for not having any spelling mistakes in your most recent post. A breath of fresh air for us all. Keep it up. <3

EDIT: Spoke too soon.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1