Noctis

Noctis' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far...TOP TEN BEGINS

Sorry, guys, but things have been hectic. I'm at the hospital now because my grandmother was admitted two hours ago. She's fine, but her blood pressure rose rapidly. But her heart and everything else is fine now.

Add to that, my cousin's grandmother also was admitted because of a stroke. So I have to visit her in the morning before class at 9. I'll be exhausted. So please give me a couple of days to get things back in action.

I'm just so exhausted.

I'm sorry you're going through all that, I hope everything turns out okay. 

• Like 2

Sorry, guys, but things have been hectic. I'm at the hospital now because my grandmother was admitted two hours ago. She's fine, but her blood pressure rose rapidly. But her heart and everything else is fine now.

Add to that, my cousin's grandmother also was admitted because of a stroke. So I have to visit her in the morning before class at 9. I'll be exhausted. So please give me a couple of days to get things back in action.

I'm just so exhausted.

My best to your family, of course that takes priority over a silly list. Hang in there.

• Like 2

50-50-movie.jpg

40. 50/50

"No one wants to fuck me. I look like Voldemort."

Here we have one of the most underrated films of its year, and it's a shame that it didn't manage to be seen by a wide audience in theaters. But I have a feeling it's going to become a cult classic. 50/50 is one of the most poignant, genuine, and heartbreaking films to deal with a person going through cancer. It could have been so easy for the film to be inundated by either becoming way too depressing, or not sincere enough. It's kind of a small miracle that it manages to be both hilarious and heartbreaking without ever being inauthentic, and that's what makes it such a brilliant film. Joseph-Gordon Levitt is so great in this, and I would have loved it if he had been nominated for an Oscar. 

1contagionpaltrow080611.jpg

39. CONTAGION

"Somewhere in the world, the wrong pig met up with the wrong bat."

I adore this movie. I mean, it has snobby Gwyneth Paltrow dying of a seizure! How could you not want to watch that? Honestly, though, Contagion is a disaster film in the best sense. Instead of buildings or cities collapsing, it's humans succumbing to what has always been our greatest and most resilient enemy: viruses. It shows just how devastating these small cells can be to our bodies, and the power it has to wipe out entire populations. Viruses do not discriminate. They don't care who or what you are. Whether you're rich, poor, beautiful, or ugly...you are all equally threatened by it. The cast is fantastic all around, and the script is very intelligent. 

• Like 11

image_001.jpg

38. ARGO

"Argo fuck yourself."

Argo is one of the very few Best Picture winners that I don't have much of a problem with. It's not perfect (nor the best of its year), but it is such a tense and amazingly edited film with great performances. I think it's become easy to dismiss just how hard it would have been to make this film, but that's the beauty of it. Argo is so well made that you don't notice just how much was done in all of its technical and creative aspects. I was immersed in the film from the minute it started, and I was on the edge of my seat right up until the final scene. It's a very potent thriller, and everyone that was a part of this film really seemed to give it their all. 

easy-a-still-1.jpg

37. EASY A

"We've had nine classes together since kindergarten...ten if you count Religion of Other Cultures, which you didn't because you called it science fiction and refused to go."

I fucking adore Easy A with all my heart. I have a feeling if I were to do a list in a few years, this would rank even higher. This film is so fucking hilarious with so many witty one-liners, and Emma Stone is just way too fucking charming. I can never get bored from watching this film, and it's one of the rare comedies that never feel old. Stanley Tucci is also a gem here. Just...please watch it. It's just hard not to love Easy A. 

Plus, the social remarks against fundamental Christians is GOLD.

• Like 10

twelve-years-a-slave-michael-fassbender.

36. 12 YEARS A SLAVE

"I don't want to survive. I want to live."

12 Years a Slave is a very difficult film to watch. It's visceral and doesn't pull its punches, and honestly ranks among the most devastating films ever made. I was emotionally drained by the end. The performances from the entire cast are astonishing (especially by Lupita and Fassbender). The most heartbreaking scene in the film has to be when Patsey begs for Solomon to drown her because of the intense misery she's in and just wants to escape the pain that seemingly has no end in sight. It broke my heart, and it's one of the finest performances by an actress this decade. The film is more powerful because it (wisely) avoids all the saccharine, and that makes it more raw and true. It's such a great film.

itunes-gallery-219_16_51_7_x101_11-8-201

35. TANGLED

"Heal what has been hurt...change the fate's design...save what has been lost...bring back what once was mine...what once was mine."

2010 was such a great year for animation. Three animated films from that year make the list, and the first to appear here is Tangled. I was really, really surprised by how much I loved this film. The animation was absolutely stunning, the characters were engaging and hilarious, and the story flowed extremely well. It was the film to finally put WDAS back on the map. Rapunzel and Ryder have to be my favorite couple in a Disney animated film. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 10

INC-FP-0004.jpg

34. INCEPTION

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."

The Dark Knight may have made Nolan a global superstar, but Inception was the one that cemented the fact that he was going to stay and become one of the defining directors of his generation - and rightfully so. I found it hugely impressive how Nolan managed to tackle issues like regret, loss, guilt, and redemption and blend them in so seamlessly into a massive action film. Yes, the story has a lot of exposition in it, but it is genuinely interesting and Nolan has a way of sucking you into his universe and not letting go until it ends. The last thirty minutes of the film is when the film soars, and it has one of the most emotionally satisfying endings I've ever seen. It didn't really matter whether Cobb was in reality or limbo...all that mattered was that he was finally with his kids. He was home. 

emma-stone-new-the-help-stills-04.jpg

33. THE HELP

"No one had ever asked me what it feels like to be me."

The Help is often overshadowed by films like 12YAS and Selma on the internet, but I feel some people don't give it enough credit. The ensemble cast is incredible with stunning performances from Chastain, Davis, Dallas-Howard and Spencer. They owned the film. Everything felt so real and raw, and it was all because you believed in the performances they were playing. They were the characters. It's filled with pathos, and makes you appreciate the struggle and hardship that so many black people had to face on a day to day basis just in order to survive and make a living for themselves and their families. It's amazing to see the huge strides America has made in racism despite the fact that it still exists today on a much larger scale than some would care to admit. 

• Like 6

twelve-years-a-slave-michael-fassbender.

36. 12 YEARS A SLAVE

"I don't want to survive. I want to live."

12 Years a Slave is a very difficult film to watch. It's visceral and doesn't pull its punches, and honestly ranks among the most devastating films ever made. I was emotionally drained by the end. The performances from the entire cast are astonishing (especially by Lupita and Fassbender). The most heartbreaking scene in the film has to be when Patsey begs for Solomon to drown her because of the intense misery she's in and just wants to escape the pain that seemingly has no end in sight. It broke my heart, and it's one of the finest performances by an actress this decade. The film is more powerful because it (wisely) avoids all the saccharine, and that makes it more raw and true. It's such a great film.

itunes-gallery-219_16_51_7_x101_11-8-201

35. TANGLED

"Heal what has been hurt...change the fate's design...save what has been lost...bring back what once was mine...what once was mine."

2010 was such a great year for animation. Three animated films from that year make the list, and the first to appear here is Tangled. I was really, really surprised by how much I loved this film. The animation was absolutely stunning, the characters were engaging and hilarious, and the story flowed extremely well. It was the film to finally put WDAS back on the map. Rapunzel and Ryder have to be my favorite couple in a Disney animated film. 

Tangled  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

.. also I had to write a paper on slavery for college, where I actually had to go into a database and read interviews with farmers slaves that were conducted in the 1930s. and 12 years a Slave has one of the most realistic portrayals of what slavery was like back then that I've seen. it was an really hard film to watch, but it was masterfully crafted. 

Edited by Visor shades Kalo
  • Like 1

Out of the last few the only one I don't like is The Help. :ph34r:

I don't get peoples dislike for that movie. btw I really like the way you're presenting your write ups Noctis. it's very tidy and clean cut looking.  

tumblr_m8t3yx3k9Z1rxqy63o1_1280.png

32. SHUTTER ISLAND

"Which would be worse: to live as a good man, or to die a monster?"

People usually bring up Inception when talking about mind-fuck films, but Shutter Island is the better film for me. I absolutely loved it way more than I ever thought I would. The film is chilling, creepy, and makes your skin crawl at the many awful sights you see at a maximum-security prison. It's brilliantly directed by Scorsese, and I rank this as one of his best films. He's a master at dropping hints and clues throughout the film that could end up being so easy to miss on your first viewing, but it's there. It's all there, and he's so skilled at naturally raising the tension until the big reveal hits you hard. And it features one of Leo's best performances of his career. He's terrific. 

super-8-movies-poster.jpg

31. SUPER 8

"Can we get another order of fries because my friend here is fat..."

Hands down one of the most underrated films of its year. Many people here thought there was a glaring tonal shift between the alien story and the coming of age one, but I have absolutely no problem with the fact that the monster wasn't the main factor. One of the main reasons I love this film so much is because it isn't focused more on the alien. That allowed the film to focus more on the characters and their journeys - which was one of the highlights of 2011. I fell in love with the characters, and they felt like people you knew. It shines as a coming of age story, and there aren't many characters that I enjoyed watching more on screen than these. A touching film that understands the human aspect is always more important than anything else. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 8