Noctis

Noctis' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far...TOP TEN BEGINS

The hype needs to be created. Just like movies: first they are announced, then they are made.

Therefore I will lay out my blueprint now:

Top films of  2014:          14/2/15

Top films of 2010-2014:  3/3/15

Great films Nobody else likes: 11/5/15

Best films starring an actor named Tom or Jim: 21/11/15

Best films of 2015:    16/2/16

Best films of the DC Universe: 24/7/18

Best films of 2015-2019: 3/6/20

Best 5D films:   4/7/27

Best films of the reanimated corpse of Tom Hanks: 17/1/31

Best films directed by a citizen of Kalmar 4Z3PX:  11/9/35

There. No nobody can beat me to the punch ever again!

• Like 2

the_dictator-1080p.jpg

50. THE DICTATOR

"I love it when women go to school. It's like seeing a monkey on rollerskates."

I'm sure many members here either haven't watched this film or disliked it, but this is such an underrated comedy to me. Sacha Baron Cohen is the funniest man in Hollywood - no one even comes to close to capturing the creativity and idiocy of the characters he plays. I love both Borat and Bruno, but this was funnier than them. You basically have a scene where he starts jerking off in a Vegan restaurant as Celine Dion's song starts playing...you can't really get weirder than that. And I mean that in the best way possible. 

THE-SKELETON-TWINS_612x380_0.jpg?itok=zh

49. THE SKELETON TWINS

"You're emotionally unstable."

There is not much in this film that is particularly groundbreaking, but it showcases the immense range Kristen Wiig possesses as a dramatic actress, and only solidifies my belief that she has a lot more to showcase in the future. The script is really sharp and surprisingly honest in its depictions of two siblings that are quite fucked up by the choices they've made in their lives. The script is good, but it's the performances from the two leads that really sell the movie and make you wanna root for these characters to finally start being more responsible with their lives.

Oh, and it has the best lip sync scene in cinematic history.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 9

Dawn-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes_apes-on-h

48. DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 

"From humans, Kobe only learned hate. But nothing else."

I have confessed before that while Rise is so far from a bad film, it's still not a particularly good one despite the interesting ideas. But Dawn? It's such a huge improvement over its predecessor in almost every way imaginable. The story is far more compelling, the characters feel more alive and complex, and there is a genuine sense of fear and urgency that very few blockbusters manage to capture so effectively. It's what summer blockbusters should be but rarely are today - intelligent, engaging, and where the audiences feel totally committed to the journey of the characters. Brilliantly done science-fiction film that I have no doubt will be discussed for years to come.

locke_2885177b.jpg

47. LOCKE

"When I left this site just over two hours ago, I had a job, a wife, a home. And now I have none of those things."

An 85 minute film where the camera is focused on a man in a car from start to finish...yea, I didn't really know what to expect from this at all, but I ended up being hugely surprised at how captivating it was from the minute it started until the credits rolled. And that is entirely because of Tom Hardy's utterly mesmerizing performance. He was so damn good that I didn't waste time daydreaming about his gorgeous lips. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 13

the-lego-movie-20.jpg

46. THE LEGO MOVIE

"Come with me if you wanna not die."

Rarely do you ever find films like The Lego Movie that are bursting with huge amounts of creativity and fun. It has amazing characters (and great voice actors - particularly by Pratt and Banks), terrific animation, and a powerful message about the dangers of conformity and how important it is for someone to be themselves. And it's hilarious. I just love so much of this film. But not all of it...if it were not for the grating switch to live action at the end, this film would have ended up being an all-timer for me. Yet that scene ruined it. All in all, it still doesn't take away (I refuse to let it) from the brilliance of the film preceding that scene. 

StillSB04.jpg

45. SPRING BREAKERS

"Everybody's miserable here because everybody sees the same things."

Spring Breakers is a film that has gradually grown on me over the past year. It's such a fascinating look (as a foreigner) at how the American Dream has changed so dramatically over the past couple of decades (largely due to income inequality and tax evasion by the rich/corporations) that it makes you wonder why these people even still believe in something called the American Dream. And somehow...the film manages to make you believe in the American Dream in the most fucked up, gruesome, and violent way possible. You know these girls are fucking up their lives and putting themselves into situations they eventually can't run away from...yet you still root for them to "succeed." A twisted coming of age film that's intent on showing the gradual moral and ethical destruction money can have. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 8

The 8 Potters are the Top 8. Noah and The Perks of Being a Wallflower complete the top 10.

My guess is Cloud Atlas. :huh:

DH1.

Edited by Inner CJohn
  • Like 1

Do people think the filmmakers coud have conveyed the main message of the movie, Lego Movie, without the live action scene ?

Frankly, the switch to live action is foreshadowed so much that I was waiting for it, so many clues lead to that scene.

I dunno why people think the scene brings the movie down because I think it s essential to convey the main message but that s just me.

• Like 2

Do people think the filmmakers coud have conveyed the main message of the movie, Lego Movie, without the live action scene ?

Frankly, the switch to live action is foreshadowed so much that I was waiting for it, so many clues lead to that scene.

I dunno why people think the scene brings the movie down because I think it s essential to convey the main message but that s just me.

Yeah, I don't think the movie would be as great as it is if the live action scene was taken out.