Blankments

Best Picture Might Return to Five Nominees

True, if you look at what was first and most likely second the last few years the more innovative, inspired, and original film lost out.

2014: 1 Birdman, 2 Boyhood

2013: 1 12YAS, 2 Gravity

2012: 1 Argo. 2 Life of Pi

2011: Exception in that everything was equally bland

2010: 1 Kings Speech, 2 The Social Network

Was Life of Pi even really considered a contender for Best Picture? In fact, the uninspired choice would've been Lincoln. Argo, Django, Pi, Playbook, ZDT, all interesting choices in their own ways. Likewise, in 2013 it was Wolf of Wall Street that lost out--in fact, I'm not sure I recall speaking to anybody who thought Gravity was the best picture of the year. And even this year, Boyhood was absolutely the predictable choice and I'd say Birdman is one of the most interesting winners in years.

• Like 1

Lincoln is in many respects a classic awards magnet of a big historical biopic, but ironically it was also as good or better than any other BP nominee of that year (except ZDT). Even with its disappointing ending, I would have easily picked it over Argo and Life of Pi. 

• Like 1

Lincoln is in many respects a classic awards magnet of a big historical biopic, but ironically it was also as good or better than any other BP nominee of that year (except ZDT). Even with its disappointing ending, I would have easily picked it over Argo and Life of Pi.

I think Life of Pi was the best that year, and I would put Lincoln second. Don't really care much for ZDT.

Was Life of Pi even really considered a contender for Best Picture? In fact, the uninspired choice would've been Lincoln. Argo, Django, Pi, Playbook, ZDT, all interesting choices in their own ways. Likewise, in 2013 it was Wolf of Wall Street that lost out--in fact, I'm not sure I recall speaking to anybody who thought Gravity was the best picture of the year. And even this year, Boyhood was absolutely the predictable choice and I'd say Birdman is one of the most interesting winners in years.

It won director as well as the most oscars, chances are it was in second place.