Blankments

Best Picture Might Return to Five Nominees

Lord of the Rings got every film nominated with five slots. Nothing to worry about here. 

The Oscars are the opinions of a league of mainly old white guys, but they're still a fun part of Hollywood culture. I don't see the benefit of getting worked up over Awards Season.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 3

This would actually leave more spots in other categories for other movies. Nightcrawler getting a best screenplay nod is pretty rare. Most major categories get filled with best picture normally.

Edited by Chriss
  • Like 1

GO BACK TO 10! 2009 and 2010 were by far the most interesting years from a diversity point of view. These are the years that gave us Up, District 9 (!), Avatar, Inception, Toy Story 3 as best picture nominees. The '10 rule' so clearly allows academy members to break free from nominating stuffy awards bait and actually take some risks... at the other end of the spectrum I was so pleased that Winter's Bone was nominated in 2010. Going back to 5 will lead us back to the dark days of Miramax-esque awards bait dominance. I mean, I really enjoyed the Theory of Everything this year, and thoroughly believe that Redmayne deserved his Best Actor oscar, but the film it's packaged in is so ridiculously pedestrian that it beggars belief it was nominated above:

The Lego Movie

GOTG

Nightcrawler

Two Days One Night

Gone Girl

Locke

Anyway... the Academy can look forward to continuing its sad decline towards further irrelevance if this news is genuine.

Edited by SolarisSteele
  • Like 3

It's easy to predict what would have been nommed this year if we only got 5 slots. However, the thing gets harder to predict if we ask what would have been nominated this year if the voting sistem would have been the same as 2009 and 2010.

That's the main reason why they should turn back to 2009 and 2010. There's more room for nice surprises.

I prefer this year's Oscars with a 10 list including films like Gone Girl and Nightcrawler (the two I think missed the mark).

• Like 1

It's easy to predict what would have been nommed this year if we only got 5 slots. However, the thing gets harder to predict if we ask what would have been nominated this year if the voting sistem would have been the same as 2009 and 2010.

That's the main reason why they should turn back to 2009 and 2010. There's more room for nice surprises.

I prefer this year's Oscars with a 10 list including films like Gone Girl and Nightcrawler (the two I think missed the mark).

completely agree about this two, in fact I think Nightcrawler should have been nominated if there were only 5. and Theroy of Everything should have not been nominated at all and X-men DOFP. should of in it's place. maybe dawn instead of Imitation game, although I guess I can understand that one more.

• Like 1

Ehh, get rid of Theory and Sniper... replace them with GOTG and LEGO, then it's like 2009/2010.

Sniper may have printed money like crazy, but it's simply a well-done war movie. Lone Survivor was about the same quality and I wouldn't have nominated it either.

1. Nightcrawler
  2. Locke
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. The LEGO Movie
  5. Gone Girl 
  6. Whiplash
  7. Boyhood
  8. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 
  9. Selma
  10. The Grand Budapest Hotel 

That'd be a pretty well-rounded lineup of BP nominees.

6 low-key Oscar baits

1 blockbuster crime drama

3 genuine blockbusters

• Like 1

Guardians is not Avatar, District 9 or Inception. Not even close. Those three not only were huge blockbusters. Thematically and tonally, they had something else.

The Lego Movie is not Up. The Lego Movie is nowhere near Toy Story 3. In fact, TLM is weaker than the first HTTYD, and that one didn't get nommed.

Fact: blockbusters last year weren't anything that special (thematically), saving DotPotA. And we already knew Academy wouldn't route for a sequel of a prequel sci-fi saga.

Like it or not, but American Sniper fills the blockbuster spot perfectly.

I think that with the 2009 rule, the nominees this year would have included the eight already nommed. That wouldn't have changed! So only two spots left. And I think only three films were close enough to race for those, Nightcrawler, Gone girl and Foxcatcher. 

Guardians is not Avatar, District 9 or Inception. Not even close. Those three not only were huge blockbusters. Thematically and tonally, they had something else.

The Lego Movie is not Up. The Lego Movie is nowhere near Toy Story 3. In fact, TLM is weaker than the first HTTYD, and that one didn't get nommed.

Fact: blockbusters last year weren't anything that special (thematically), saving DotPotA. And we already knew Academy wouldn't route for a sequel of a prequel sci-fi saga.

HTTYD was nominated for best Animated Picture. Tangled was snubbed that year though. 

• Like 1

GotG is better than Avatar thematically - especially in terms of dialogue/acting/plot. If anyone other than James Cameron's name was attached, Avatar would have been ignored as an average sci-fi film. I agree with District 9 and Inception deserving BP nods over GotG though - both were original efforts with social/philosophical commentary. 

LEGO may not be better than Up/TS3, but it's better than a few of the BP noms from this year (Sniper, Theory, Imitation) and the last few (Artist, Help, Extremely Loud, War Horse, Les Miz, Philomena, etc) 

But American Sniper and Theory of Everything aren't better than LEGO or GotG. Both are above-average dramas... nothing special. LEGO and GotG were a lot more inspired/original. They're better examples of great filmmaking than either of those two Oscar baits. 

Remove Sniper and Theory... expand the rule to 10... you have room for 4 more. Gone Girl, Nightcrawler, LEGO/GotG (one of the two... both would be a little crazy), DotPotA. 

Edited by mahnamahna

GotG is better than Avatar thematically - especially in terms of dialogue/acting/plot. If anyone other than James Cameron's name was attached, Avatar would have been ignored as an average sci-fi film. I agree with District 9 and Inception deserving BP nods over GotG though - both were original efforts with social/philosophical commentary. 

LEGO may not be better than Up/TS3, but it's better than a few of the BP noms from this year (Sniper, Theory, Imitation) and the last few (Artist, Help, Extremely Loud, War Horse, Les Miz, Philomena, etc) 

But American Sniper and Theory of Everything aren't better than LEGO or GotG. Both are above-average dramas... nothing special. LEGO and GotG were a lot more inspired/original. They're better examples of great filmmaking than either of those two Oscar baits. 

Remove Sniper and Theory... expand the rule to 10... you have room for 4 more. Gone Girl, Nightcrawler, LEGO/GotG (one of the two... both would be a little crazy), DotPotA. 

Your preferences (or mine) had nothing to do with my post. You can dream whatever you want, but reality is neither Lego nor GOTG had any chance to be nommed, not this year but in any other year. Avatar would have easily beat both movies this year, and I'm not a particular fan of that film.

• Like 3

Lego movie is far better than UP/TS3

Lego movie is far better than UP/TS3

That's your own opinion, but in this conversation is meaningless, as it's also my own opinion. General consensus: UP/TS3 had more recognition by GA, critics and industry (hence the Oscars recognition). Besides this fact, Lego had a lighter emotional weight and lacked the instant-classic dramatic scenes that Up (Married life) and Toy Story 3 (goodbye) had.

• Like 1

I think that with the 2009 rule, the nominees this year would have included the eight already nommed. That wouldn't have changed! So only two spots left. And I think only three films were close enough to race for those, Nightcrawler, Gone girl and Foxcatcher. 

I don't think Gone Girl was even close, to be honest. Its complete shut-out except for Pike (even in categories that appeared to be sure things for nominations like Adapted Screenplay and Original Score) indicates that there wasn't much support for the movie, and that in a "stronger" Best Actress year, Pike (who likely came in last among the nominees) wouldn't have made it either.

I remember 2010 being a much better field than any since, though with 10 you also get stuff like Avatar and The Blind Side(!) that doesn't belong in there in the first place. But other interesting movies like D9, 127 Hours, and the like get in and make the race a bit more interesting even if people like us know it's down to like two movies and the less interesting choice will probably win--after all, The Social Network loss was pretty much the last time I bothered watching the Awards.

• Like 1

I remember 2010 being a much better field than any since, though with 10 you also get stuff like Avatar and The Blind Side(!) that doesn't belong in there in the first place. But other interesting movies like D9, 127 Hours, and the like get in and make the race a bit more interesting even if people like us know it's down to like two movies and the less interesting choice will probably win--after all, The Social Network loss was pretty much the last time I bothered watching the Awards.

True, if you look at what was first and most likely second the last few years the more innovative, inspired, and original film lost out.

2014: 1 Birdman, 2 Boyhood

2013: 1 12YAS, 2 Gravity

2012: 1 Argo. 2 Life of Pi

2011: Exception in that everything was equally bland

2010: 1 Kings Speech, 2 The Social Network