Blankments

Best Picture Might Return to Five Nominees

Whiplash isn't the movie I had a problem with, it was American Sniper and Theory of Everything that didn't belong there (I didn't care for Imitation Game either, but I accept I'm in the minority). I would've swapped them with Lego Movie and Gone Girl. Boxtrolls didn't deserve to get in either.

Edited by tribefan695

those are the kind of complaints I can never stand really. bemoaning the fact that the oscars don't totally line-up with your opinion. no shit, really?

you can't say they're 'stuck in the past' when nominating american sniper, considering it's 2014's biggest movie. unless everyone who liked it is stuck in the past?

I wonder if they should have more younger voters in the Academy and gradually weed out the older voters either through retirement or death but whether that would have an impact on the type of films nominated remains to be seen. 

=

those are the kind of complaints I can never stand really. bemoaning the fact that the oscars don't totally line-up with your opinion. no shit, really?

you can't say they're 'stuck in the past' when nominating american sniper, considering it's 2014's biggest movie. unless everyone who liked it is stuck in the past?

My point was that for me it's not about big vs. small, it's about them nominating more films that are outside of their comfort zone. A halfway decent Clint Eastwood war movie released in December/January was getting nominated no matter what. Yes, it was a big hit but surely you're not going to use that as a defense.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I'm not. what I'm saying is that saying they're "stuck in the past" is a poor criticism when you single out a film that's very of the moment like American Sniper. I thought that was obvious but ok.

generally, people like what they like. the vast majority of human beings are gonna stick to their comfort zones. No one can be forced to like stuff.

Edited by cooliod1

I'm not. what I'm saying is that saying they're "stuck in the past" is a poor criticism when you single out a film that's very of the moment like American Sniper. I thought that was obvious but ok.

Maybe that wasn't the best phrase to use, but it certainly feels like "the past" when it's continuing a long-running trend. And to be fair to audiences, AS didn't go wide until after the nominees were announced, and I'm sure American Sniper being a part of them had a very significant effect on its haul.

American Sniper was a box office monster for sure, but it probably would've been regardless of nominations. One of the main demographics of its audience (the "Amurrica" segment) probably doesn't give a shit at all about the Oscars to begin with.

I think the Oscars are like Taylor Swift songs; no one will admit to caring about them, but everyone watches (listens to) them. If you were on the fence about seeing American Sniper, it being nominated for BP made it a must-see

Edited by tribefan695

I prefer a 10 wide list of nominees. It was the only way to see great and unusual movies recognized (Amour, District 9, The tree of life, Up, Toy Story 3, True grit, Django, Nebraska, Whiplash...). Neither of those would have been BP contenders in their respective year without this expansion.

I hink the 'at least .... of #1' rule is really hurting the Oscars.

I agree with that. In 2009 and 2010 there was room for odd films like Up, District 9 or Winter's bone because of the mandatory 10wide field and the lack ot that #1 rule

• Like 1

lol why does everyone complain? 

Who the fuck cares!

Blockbusters have no chance of winning, EVERYONE knows this, so it doesn't matter if they get nominated because it's charity. Why you numpties have to fight over the recognition of movies that are there to make up the numbers, I'll never know. 

Who the fuck cares!

Blockbusters have no chance of winning, EVERYONE knows this, so it doesn't matter if they get nominated because it's charity. Why you numpties have to fight over the recognition of movies that are there to make up the numbers, I'll never know. 

Are you sure you are 48?

You miss a lot with jumping as fast to conclusions as you seem to like to do.

If you re-read the posts you might realise that some posts are e.g. not about the typical blockbusters...

Btw, if you do not care, why jumping in and throw around questionable remarks?

Speaking down on others does not make you look as the 'better', IMHO its quite the opposite. And so on...

Who the fuck cares!

If a Blockbuster is great it will be nominated. Blockbuster needs to be great first before being nominated. 

Yeah, I'd say going back to how it was in 09/10 was the best pool of BP noms that we got.  The 5% rule is rather stupid and beats the point of having more than 5 BP noms.

I bet movies like Guardians of the Galaxy would make a lot of top 10 lists, but it probably didn't crack a lot of number 1s which keeps it out.

Edited by The Panda

I prefer a 10 wide list of nominees. It was the only way to see great and unusual movies recognized (Amour, District 9, The tree of life, Up, Toy Story 3, True grit, Django, Nebraska, Whiplash...). Neither of those would have been BP contenders in their respective year without this expansion.

This is why I like 10 nominees, it lets those few interesting choices get recognition whether they be blockbusters or whether they be indies or whether they be fun hybrids of Art House meets Blockbuster.