Impact

Best Actor predictions-2015

Bookmark this: Cranston wins come February. 

It'll be harder for him to get a nomination than a win. It perfectly fits the surprise nomination that builds momentum in the last moments when Leo seems safe. 

It won't be a big deal though, no one will see Leo's performance in The Revenant as the performance that should win him the Oscar. I've seen it, ps. He isn't even the standout. 

Samuel L. Jackson isn't happening. He won't pick up a single precursor, isn't the standout and the film isn't supposed to be that good. Besides, his placement is supposedly borderline. 

The last spot is between Damon and Carrell. Leaning towards Carrell because it looks like the stronger film and they are all hella campaigning. 

Sure it is a weak year but I don't think anyone will watch The Revenant and say "this is the best male leading performance of the year." 

Trumbo happening is awful, but predictable. In fact I was just at guild screening and I heard these two old ladies RAVING about it. Got a huge eye roll from me. 

21 minutes ago, TStechnij said:

Sure it is a weak year but I don't think anyone will watch The Revenant and say "this is the best male leading performance of the year." 

Trumbo happening is awful, but predictable. In fact I was just at guild screening and I heard these two old ladies RAVING about it. Got a huge eye roll from me. 

Did anyone look at Meryl's Margaret Thatcher performance and say she gave the best performance that year and or doubt she was given an overdue third just because she wasn't up against anyone with an actual narrative that year?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Impact said:

A true story...predictable? You don't say ;)

Sorry-didn't mean that in any mean way or anything-I just find it odd when someone calls a film that is a true story predictable!

I meant it playing well for Hollywood was something that was predictable. I don't remember a second of the actual film haha. 

Leo isn't Streep and that was a baity role. This is the opposite of that. 

Besides, Leo is 41 and I don't think anyone in the industry perceives as well as the Internet dies. He's never win an award from LAFCA or NYFCC IIRC. I don't think he is as overdue as others seem to. 

• Like 1

Now while the Oscars do give out there lifetime achievement awards (Don Amechee won for Cocoon of all films), its a little to early to give it to Leo, don't you think?

Edit: With that said-I do think he is the frontrunner still.

10 minutes ago, TStechnij said:

Leo isn't Streep and that was a baity role. This is the opposite of that. 

Besides, Leo is 41 and I don't think anyone in the industry perceives as well as the Internet dies. He's never win an award from LAFCA or NYFCC IIRC. I don't think he is as overdue as others seem to. 

Well of course. Streep sometimes gets nominations just because of her name alone.

Leo's overdue status has mostly become a recurring Internet joke, FYI. Between working almost exclusively with the most respected directors, having a reputation for living an extravagant playboy lifestyle yet still trying to dodge the media at every turn, and often taking on roles that scream "give me an Oscar!", he kind of lends himself to parody. That said, his day will come eventually, and then I imagine he'll go De Niro and enter the official "I don't give a shit" stage of his career by taking on mostly paycheck roles. I look forward to seeing what will be his Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I want a race between Leo and Amy Adams to beat Peter O'Toole.

Or to at least reach Geraldine Page and Al Pacino to have the most nominations in acting before there first win :P

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Di Caprio may not be old but he did receive the first of his nominations over 20 years ago. 

And his few acting credits at the time were mostly in TV, no less. He's been around a long ass time. I just hope when he wins eventually he'll give a shoutout to Critters 3 for getting his foot in the door lolololol.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2015‎ ‎11‎:‎38‎:‎10‎, Impact said:

For some reason I completely forgot about Fassbender-I was trying to remember who the other likely nom was and he slipped from my brain!

For now:
1. DiCaprio

2. Damon

3. Fassbender

4. Redmayne

5. Cranston

My alt for now is Will Smith.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Well of course. Streep sometimes gets nominations just because of her name alone.

Leo's overdue status has mostly become a recurring Internet joke, FYI. Between working almost exclusively with the most respected directors, having a reputation for living an extravagant playboy lifestyle yet still trying to dodge the media at every turn, and often taking on roles that scream "give me an Oscar!", he kind of lends himself to parody. That said, his day will come eventually, and then I imagine he'll go De Niro and enter the official "I don't give a shit" stage of his career by taking on mostly paycheck roles. I look forward to seeing what will be his Rocky & Bullwinkle.

That's bullshit. 

J.Edgar certainly looked like that kind of movie, but Inception?Django? Gatsby? Wolf? Those were desperate give me an oscar choices? I don't think so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joel M said:

That's bullshit. 

J.Edgar certainly looked like that kind of movie, but Inception?Django? Gatsby? Wolf? Those were desperate give me an oscar choices? I don't think so.

Of course not. However, when he signed on to play the villain in Django, is there really any doubt that duplicating Christoph Waltz's win was dancing in the back of his mind? Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know.

His presumed "desperation" comes from the fact he works only with the most accomplished filmmakers more than anything else (directors he's worked with just over the past decade: Scorsese, Zwick, Scott, Mendes, Nolan, Eastwood, Tarantino, Luhrmann, Inarritu). Like, would it kill ya to make some dumb mainstream comedy or appear in a summer blockbuster even in a supporting role, Leo? No actor working today is as picky as he is.

• Like 2