Impact

Best Actor predictions-2015

16 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Even if Di Caprio's performance is short on standard big Oscar moments, the fact that he spent a year shooting the movie in hard conditions could definitely be his advantage. 

If breaking a glass with his bare hands in Django wasn't enough to get him nominated, I doubt the conditions will be enough for him to win.

He are my predictions:

1. Michael Fassbender 

2. Leonardo DiCaprio

3. Samuel L. Jackson

4. Matt Damon

5. Michael B. Jordan

I am not great at predicting Oscar nominations, so I doubt this will actually be the 5. :P

Edited by Empire of Spies

9 hours ago, Empire of Spies said:

He are my predictions:

1. Michael Fassbender 

2. Leonardo DiCaprio

3. Samuel L. Jackson

4. Matt Damon

5. Michael B. Jordan

I am not great at predicting Oscar nominations, so I doubt this will actually be the 5. :P

Nah that's pretty solid. I'd say the last two spots are between Redmayne, Jackson, Smith, and Jordan.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2015, 2:12:55, Omar Blitz said:

Any chance Jake gets a nom for Southpaw ???

Probably not, if only because of the July release and the shaky reviews. If the Weinsteins had released it in November or December, his chances would be significantly stronger.

Honestly, Gyllenhaal has had such an awesome run in the last two years that I feel like at least a few nominations - if not a win, as well - have to be coming up soon.

11 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Honestly, Gyllenhaal has had such an awesome run in the last two years that I feel like at least a few nominations - if not a win, as well - have to be coming up soon.

Especially last year's snub for Nightcrawler was inexcusable. A great performance in an small movie that found critical and boxoffice success without any oscar push

19 hours ago, Joel M said:

Especially last year's snub for Nightcrawler was inexcusable. A great performance in an small movie that found critical and boxoffice success without any oscar push

Eh, there were far better performances that didn't make the cut - Fiennes in GBH being the worst omission.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Eh, there were far better performances that didn't make the cut - Fiennes in GBH being the worst omission.

I would put Gyllenhal and Fiennes over any of the 5 who got nominated. So yeah, Fiennes was amazing too.

Edited by Joel M

I don't think he's ever been the best of the nominees any of the times he lost. so i've never got people acting like he's the new peter o'toole. I guess it's because he does capital A LOOK AT ME ACTING and he works with a lot of cool directors that people like.

I feel like the thing with Di Caprio is that he's a movie star who almost always tries to be method and disappear into his characters, and it rarely works out 100% because you always remember you're watching Di Caprio. But that doesn't mean he can't give an Oscar-worthy performance; I really think he should have won for Wolf because that was the greatest blend of his movie star charisma and the character on the page. His caps lock intensity and desire for showmanship fit Belfort perfectly, he sold the fuck out of every moment without overdoing it, and for the first time in years I never felt distracted by the fact that I knew I was watching Di Caprio act. It felt like he wasn't trying to fight it. IDK how much sense that makes but that's how I explained it to myself.

I'm already doubting he'll be deserving in The Revenant after I saw Vishnevetsky on the AV Club (one of the few remaining critics I really trust) talking about how Glass isn't really a character, the movie keeps trying to get inside his head but there's barely any depth to him, so the physical part of the performance and the suffering is basically the only thing that's left.