Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, The Revenant

Thomas McCarthy, Spotlight

David O. Russell, Joy

Alternates:

Steven Spielberg, Bridge of Spies

Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight

Tom Hooper, The Danish Girl

Edited by Blankments

Boyle is getting some tepid ink, but if he fixes the end I think he could get nominated.

DOR is going to turn it out and Joy looks and sounds like his most inspired film to date. Expecting him to win.

I'm still thinking Son of Saul is going to be top 5 BP and Nemes has a good chance as well.

So, I'd say

DOR

Haynes

Fukunaga

Boyle

Nemes

Innaritu will surely be in there, but I'll wait on that.

lol. A lot has changed since TIFF.

DOR

Innaritu

McCarthy

Boyle

Haynes

Nemes

Miller

Spielberg

Tarantino

Fukunga? Crowley?

Boyle

Haynes

McCarthy

Miller

O. Russell

Boyle and Miller are the two I'm less sure about, but I still believe the latter will win more critics' awards for Best Director than anyone else, and I trust the directors' branch to recognize the huge amount of work that made the movie such an achievement. Early reviews praise Sorkin and Fassbender as the main stars of Steve Jobs, but if it's nominated across the board, Boyle will probably get thrown into the race too. However, I could see Inarritu, Fukunaga or Tarantino in his place if he's not so lucky. 

• Like 1

Danny Boyle, Steve Jobs

Todd Haynes, Carol

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, The Revenant

Thomas McCarthy, Spotlight

David O. Russell, Joy

Alternates:

Steven Spielberg, Bridge of Spies

Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight

Tom Hooper, The Danish Girl

fully agree with above top 5 picks.

Edited by Halba

Ridley Scott

Robert Z.

QT

The dude who did Birdman

Spielberg

Yes 3 winners and 2 multiple nominees

Unlikely I know :P

Well Scott looks likely, if he wins he will break Eastwoods record for the oldest-but not oldest nom as that is still John Huston at the age of 79.

What if Spielberg got in here and not best picture? The fifth spot seems so wide open and Boyle is a weak filler. Nemes or Miller would be such inspired choices and something only the director branch would be capable of doing.

Edited by TStechnij

dont think nemes or miller will get nommed. nemmes belongs in foreign film category. miller's is an action movie and not oscar friendly fare.

noms will be

innaritu

mccarthy

DOR

tarantino

haynes (carol even tho not huge buzz, reviews say its one of the best films of all time)

Edited by Halba

What if Spielberg got in here and not best picture? 

I know Bennett Miller managed it last year, but it still seems like a freak occurence with 5 BD spots and up to 10 BP spots. To me it's a lot more likely Bridge gets in BP and misses this category. Or doesn't get in either.

Right now I think the win is between DOR and McCarthy with Miller (yes) as an extreme dark horse. Don't believe in Inarritu winning twice in a row. Haynes will be like Linklater and Wes Anderson last year, his first-ever nomination would be his win no matter how acclaimed the movie is. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1