kayumanggi

THE CIRCLE | 04.28.17 | STX | final gross ● 20.50M

19 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Both reviews i have read so far are kinda good.Or something between mixed to good.But don't describe it as the disaster some were making it out to be.The ending is being heavily critisised though.

Maybe the reshoots helped?

Haven't seen it yet, my main issue was the quality of the ads and traliers because the premise is interesting enough. The most recent ads are an improvement but may have come too late. The budget is only $18M, with better promo all along (not more, just less boring) the OW should have easily been that high if not more.

Hopefully by the time Valerian comes out STX will learn how to promote a film properly. I'm still salty about the Edge of Seventeen. STX fumbled that one.

The book ending for the Circle was perfect. They should have kept it.

Edited by Harley

11 minutes ago, Harley said:

Hopefully by the time Valerian comes out STX will learn how to promote a film properly. I'm still salty about the Edge of Seventeen. STX fumbled that one.

The book ending for the Circle was perfect. They should have kept it.

They probably kept it if those reactions are legit.

49 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Maybe the reshoots helped?

Haven't seen it yet, my main issue was the quality of the ads and traliers because the premise is interesting enough. The most recent ads are an improvement but may have come too late. The budget is only $18M, with better promo all along (not more, just less boring) the OW should have easily been that high if not more.

The budget was $18M but it was purchased for $8M, so the studio will make a profit once it clears that (plus marketing) from its share of receipts. At least, that is how I understand it.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, trifle said:

The budget was $18M but it was purchased for $8M, so the studio will make a profit once it clears that (plus marketing) from its share of receipts. At least, that is how I understand it.

So the movie needs to make at least $44M (18×2+8) to make a profit right?

40 minutes ago, SaraM said:

I can't straighten it out, I'm afraid. The way the information was written it almost looked like the film was made for $18M and sold complete at $8M, but that doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

It hasn't been reported what STX has in it. Europacorp bought it for $8m before STX partnered up. Earlier reports said the production company had success selling OS rights. Anything over $16m would be a success for STX IMO.

Edited by Harley
  • Like 1

Deadline just wrote this

http://deadline.com/2017/04/fate-of-the-furious-emma-watson-the-circle-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-eugenio-derbez-1202078133/

"EuropaCorp acquired the movie for an estimated $8M after it was financed by Image Nation Abu Dhabi for $18M. STX is handling P&A and receives a distribution fee on the pic."

So based on this both EuropaCorp and STX will make out fine.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Harley said:

Deadline just wrote this

http://deadline.com/2017/04/fate-of-the-furious-emma-watson-the-circle-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-eugenio-derbez-1202078133/

"EuropaCorp acquired the movie for an estimated $8M after it was financed by Image Nation Abu Dhabi for $18M. STX is handling P&A and receives a distribution fee on the pic."

So based on this both EuropaCorp and STX will make out fine.

11-12M OW in +3000 screens with a reported 18M budget,it needs to make 40M on the BO to recover the budget+P&A.I'm not so sure

If europacorp has $8m invested in it that's all they need back to cover cost. STX is just covering promotion and they haven't invested a lot. The production company paid off budget by selling off rights.  Either way the US distributors have a good chance making a profit off it quickly. It's just good business for them to partner.

2 hours ago, SaraM said:

From EuropaCorp USA point of view how much the movie did cost to make are not impacting them, how much they pay for the US distribution (8 million) become the movie budget from their point of view.

How much the movie need to do for them is not easy to estimate, it depend if they got home media at that price (I would imagine so it must be, with Liongates doing the home media distribution for them)

If they give the movie a small 20-25 million domestic release like they seem to be going for, the total cost could be below 33/38.5 million for them. Sound like a safe enough bet.

26 minutes ago, Harley said:

If europacorp has $8m invested in it that's all they need back to cover cost. STX is just covering promotion and they haven't invested a lot. The production company paid off budget by selling off rights.  Either way the US distributors have a good chance making a profit off it quickly. It's just good business for them to partner.

Promotion is the big expense for a movie like that, probably 20-25 will be invested in that domestic release. They were at 13.33m in the US tv spots alone last Sunday.

http://variety.com/2017/more/news/snatched-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202393991/

• Like 1

That's estimated and I can't see how they spent that much. They just started pushing any type of promotion the last two weeks so the 4.27 last week makes sense.  Literally no one knows about this movie. If they are spending money on commercials they are cutting major costs elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Harley said:

That's estimated and I can't see how they spent that much. They just started pushing any type of promotion the last two weeks so the 4.27 last week makes sense.  Literally no one knows about this movie. If they are spending money on commercials they are cutting major costs elsewhere.

I imagine that it is a bit estimated, but how much it cost to buy ads on a channel (and the rating for the price bracket) is pretty standard and how much it play on tv is not difficult to track.

The estimate must be really close it is the easiest estimate to make I would imagine (more than movie budget and others), 20/25 million is pretty standard for small not major studio wide domestic release (it can go 35m+ for popular genre like horror when Screen gem does them)

I can't see how they spent that much

The movie had nearly 3000 national airings for the trailer, a some of those in good expensive live sport even spot, like the NBA playoff. A really big push.

• Like 1