The Lion King

54 members have voted

1. 1. Rate The Lion King

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I must be one of the few people that really dislikes this film.   And I am a huge Disney animation fan.

I didn't really like the music and I hated the characters and it was hugely predictable. 

Did Simba ever take an action on his own free will?  Everything he did was because someone else told him what to do.  Weakest Disney main character ever.

I actually like the direct to DVD sequels better.

While I think "hate" is a strong word, I do agree that the characters not named Scar don't stand up well compared to the brilliance that was and is Aladdin's insanely delightful ensemble. The pacing is pretty problematic in the middle act as well.

Nevertheless, it has iconic songs and one of the most, if not THE MOST, memorable opening scenes in the history of cinema. Also I can't see how you can call Simba the weakest Disney main character ever when he was immediately succeeded by the terribly bland and insipid Pocahontas, Renaissance Golden Age Killer.

Edited by Spidey Freak

Also I can't see how you can call Simba the weakest Disney main character ever when he was immediately succeeded by the terribly bland and insipid Pocahontas, Renaissance Golden Age Killer.

I've never seen Pocahontas. :ph34r: 

It is the only Disney animated film I've never seen... have the DVD still shrink-wrapped.

I've never seen Pocahontas. :ph34r:

It is the only Disney animated film I've never seen... have the DVD still shrink-wrapped.

You may love the beautiful animation, the music (though some songs are too on the nose) and that may be it. 

I could be wrong though because there are people who adore the movie. But keep your expectations low is all I'm saying.

Don't even care that I posted two posts above this, re-watched for the first time since January 2014 (I like to space things out) and I feel the need to preach about it every single time. 

It's easily my favourite movie of all time. EASILY.

It's probably the only movie where... every time I see it I feel like I'm watching it for the very first time. Listening to it feels like hearing music for the first time. Like even though I know everything that's going to happen it still hits me and makes me feel just as I would do on first viewing. There's just so many new things I notice and love about it each time. It just DOES something to me that nothing else can and it's hard to explain, but I'm so thankful it exists. 

Until next time. 

The Lion King is the greatest animated film ever made. It takes total advantage of the medium in every way, making a truly epic film for all audiences. The short 80-minute runtime, Timon and Pumbaa's brilliant comic relief, an absolutely gorgeous color scheme, and the aesthetic shifts during musical numbers or dramatic highpoints all add up to this maximizing the merits of animation in ways a live-action version of the same story could never dream of.

Ignoring that unfortunate project in development, it's still fantastic, as the pacing packs in so much story into that brief runtime, but it never feels rushed. It's a beautiful film to look at and listen to, featuring some of Disney's best animation and music. The entire voice cast works, and the tonal shifts from drama to comedy are rarely as well done as it's done in this movie.

The Lion King might be Disney's most beloved film, and for good reason. The epic tale of a lion named Simba and his journey to his kingdom resonates with nearly everyone who watches it, and it is high quality in every single aspect. A masterpiece in every way, shape, and form, and a film that I will always take the time to check out on the big screen, no matter how often Disney re-releases it. Remarkable. A+

The older I get, the more I appreciate the messages.

• You are not behaving true to yourself. (I'll be damned if "You are my son, and the one true king." is not my favorite Disney line)
  • Take responsibility for your actions. 

The only downside is Hakuna Matata. I need the live action version to be 3/4ths as good as this. A+