CaptainJackSparrow

Transformers One | September 20, 2024 | Prequel | Paramount | Animated

42 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Really sad people that saw the live action Transformers films aren't giving this a chance because it is animated. Reminds me of how people wrote off the first Spiderverse because it was animated and not live action Spider-Man.

Tbh spiderverse did a lot better first time round than what TFOne looks like it’ll be doing 

15 minutes ago, filmpalace said:

Do we already know the budget?

Apparently it was 92 million, so a bit more than things like Spiderverse, but nowhere near the crazy nonsense of a lot of Pixar and Disney at least 

9 hours ago, wattage said:

If it hits that 40 mill ish OW number that the trackers were hovering around then I see no reason for it to not get over 120. 

Peeked over in the tracking thread I didn't see that the pace has slowed down. Hopefully it picks up but I thought it was on a fairly boring and steady track to 40ish mill. I want both this and Wild Robot to succeed so I hope it picks up.

Like i said, it's hard for me to gauge as I only have family that I don't see all the time as a barometer. I have 3 little cousins who are excited to go so I'm assuming it's not just them? We'll see and I have my fingers crossed. It can't just rest on Sonic for Paramount for the rest of year that would be so much pressure on it. 

8 minutes ago, wattage said:

Peeked over in the tracking thread I didn't see that the pace has slowed down. Hopefully it picks up but I thought it was on a fairly boring and steady track to 40ish mill. I want both this and Wild Robot to succeed so I hope it picks up.

Like i said, it's hard for me to gauge as I only have family that I don't see all the time as a barometer. I have 3 little cousins who are excited to go so I'm assuming it's not just them? We'll see and I have my fingers crossed. It can't just rest on Sonic for Paramount for the rest of year that would be so much pressure on it. 

Tbf, I think Smile 2 could also be a solid hit for Paramount

9 minutes ago, wattage said:

I think there was an assumption for awhile that the EA interest would translate to bigger opening weekend presales once it was past, and it just hasn't yet. I do feel like people have been putting a bit too much stock in Thursday previews this month though and assuming the weekend would still operate on summer proportions (which we kinda already saw with the fleeting Beetlejuice panic). Historically though Thursday previews have been miniscule for September animations compared to the Fri-Sun frame, so we'll have to see.

• Like 2

I think the biggest problem with this franchise is, general audience really don't give a shit on it. The first three movies worked well cuz they caught the zeitgeist in the era of post-911 with astonishing CGI jobs. Today, you can easily tell they're making pure commercial products. It could be fun at best. But mostly, it's boring and unnecessary.

• Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

In hindsight, keeping this in 2024 after Beasts underperformed was the biggest mistake of all. This should've been kicked all the way to summer 2025 at the earliest, to at least allow Beasts's stench to fade a little.

That honestly would’ve been the smartest decision they could’ve made. Part of the reason Hasbro said ROTB was a success (at least for them, paramount withstanding) was toy sales, and the toy sales for that movie were as high as they were because it was unexpectedly pushed back a whole year, meaning instead of having a relatively crappy toyline out in 2022, and having the toys people actually wanted in 2023, all of those toys came in 2023 when the movie came out.

Doing the same here would’ve meant 2025 would have a shitload more transformers toys on shelves, and actually good ones at that. 

• Like 1

Just now, AniNate said:

I think there was an assumption for awhile that the EA interest would translate to bigger opening weekend presales once it was past, and it just hasn't yet. I do feel like people have been putting a bit too much stock in Thursday previews this month though and assuming the weekend would still operate on summer proportions (which we kinda already saw with the fleeting Beetlejuice panic). Historically though Thursday previews have been miniscule for September animations compared to the Fri-Sun frame, so we'll have to see.

I know that about the previews which is why that wasn't bothering me much, it was the Friday numbers Flip pulled that had me really concerned for the first time about it's pace but until we get closer I'm not gonna write it off as doomed or start to freak out yet. I'd like to just feel more secure in the numbers now I guess instead of being mildly concerned, but it can definitely still do well.

Like you, I was always of the belief that the Wild Robot was in the better position of the two for various reasons. But I did believe, and still do, that they can both still do well. So here's hoping. We just have to wait and see you're right. 

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Tbh aren’t the only points of comparison like, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and Hotel Transylvania, and apart from those, we haven’t really had an animated September movie since before 2020 changed a lot of cinema-going habits?

Kinda feels like we’re flying half blind here atm

9 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Tbh aren’t the only points of comparison like, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and Hotel Transylvania, and apart from those, we haven’t really had an animated September movie since before 2020 changed a lot of cinema-going habits?

Kinda feels like we’re flying half blind here atm

Kung Fu Panda 4 might be the closest thing to a useful comparison. Not September but still opened on a school night Thursday. Previews were $3.8mil on the way to $58mil weekend. To hit $40 mil on that pattern TFOne would just need $2.6mil previews, although I grant the tracking right now isn't looking very promising for even that at the moment.

39 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I think the biggest problem with this franchise is, general audience really don't give a shit on it. The first three movies worked well cuz they caught the zeitgeist in the era of post-911 with astonishing CGI jobs. Today, you can easily tell they're making pure commercial products. It could be fun at best. But mostly, it's boring and unnecessary.

This guy nails it. The brand is done. Why can't Paramount see this?

44 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Exactly

This is an animated movie. In September. And EA burned a lot of demand of franchise's fans.

Now it's time for families to fill theaters, and they wont show in mass in previews. The OW is all about Friday/Saturday walkups.

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

In hindsight, keeping this in 2024 after Beasts underperformed was the biggest mistake of all. This should've been kicked all the way to summer 2025 at the earliest, to at least allow Beasts's stench to fade a little.

Beasts underperformed, though? I remember last year the 61M OW was seen as a surprise. Before that Summer, not many here thoght it would end over 150M DOM, aka 20M over The Last Knight.

18 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If bettlejuice having terrible finish at the presale to the point where people start doubting its 100m, only somehow had a nice come back with that surprise Saturday bump, TFone should have something similar. 

But Beetlejuice had Keaton walkups, what does TFOne have 😭