Stalag 17 (1953)

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Stalag 17 (1953)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Was surprised we didn't have a thread for this! Anyway just watched this yesterday for the first time in years-great film that has held up well. Love the comical duo of Animal and Shapiro. While Holden was fantastic which all leads up to the twist of who the spy was (Which was apparently kept under wraps of who it was)

And Otto Preminger as the Nazi guard-who hated Nazi's in real life and was actually Jewish.

You also know a movie is old when it starts with the fact it is the first POW film lol. (as well as seeing a young Peter Graves)

Anyway very fun film.

A

• Like 1

Yeah it's one of the great POW films. Achieved interesting harmony of outstanding humors and tensions. BTW is it the first POW film? I mean, we can't leave out Jean Renoir's The Grand Illusion (1937).

Edited by bartonfink

It's good, but I didn't like as it much as I was expecting. Partially, this is because I wasn't expecting the tone: veering between goofy hijinks that wouldn't be out of place on Hogan's Heroes and straight drama more typical of a suspense thriller. Still, you can see how influential it's been over the decades.

• Like 1

I absolutely love love love this movie. After Sunset Boulevard this might be my favorite Wilder film. Great performances lead by the always great and (underrated, unappreciated?) William Holden. A