Asyulus

Weekend Actuals | Spy 29.09M, SA 25.84M, Ins3 22.69M, Ent 10.28M, MM 7.83M, PP2 7.57M, TL 7.2M, AoU 6.34M

I didn't say definately though either....Lol. I said "MAYBE". But yeah...I could see Ant-Man doing $217-$225M DOM. Not a "GOTG" breakout..but still a more respectably lucky number.

It won't come close to 200m.

You guys are WAYYYY too confident in Minions. I'm not saying this is the be all end all metric, but trailer views give an idea of comparing interest levels:

DM2: 32.6m trailer views

Minions: 16.9m trailer views

This is going to be exactly like Puss In Boots. They take a popular character and make a spin-off movie that people enjoy, but will not come anywhere close to the franchises numbers, because the reason for the original series gross is all of the elements pulling from many different demographics giving something for each person to enjoy. Minions cuts out Gru and the girls and that will hugely effect the gross from the older crowd. The kids were already completely enamoured with the minions, but that won't be anywhere close to enough to hit 250 let alone 350m. Mark my words.

There is absolutely no comparison between Puss in Boots and the Minions.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

Where the hell is a Minions trailer with 25m views and how the hell do you get data for such a specific timeline?

Yeah and that Minions 16.9m trailer came out 7 MONTHS ago, so it's really not all that different.

Here is the Minions trailer with 25.8M views

Edited by grim22

Here is the Minions trailer with 25.8M views

Can you actually link me to the page? It automatically takes me to the video since I'm on mobile. The only trailer I see is Trailer 1 at 16.924m views.

Where the hell is a Minions trailer with 25m views and how the hell do you get data for such a specific timeline?

Yeah and that Minions 16.9m trailer came out 7 MONTHS ago, so it's really not all that different.

Minions trailer is right here with 26 million views.

And you never heard of the Internet Archive?

Can you actually link me to the page? It automatically takes me to the video since I'm on mobile. The only trailer I see is Trailer 1 at 16.924m views.

The page link is here

and the specific number for DM2 a month before release is here:

hs6ugOe.png

Edited by grim22

It won't come close to 200m.

Um....we can't exactly be sure about it...

People said the same thing about GOTG and yet look how that turned out...

So, I'm sorry but we can't be 100% sure if it misses $200M or not. Marvel will try their best to market it.

But lowest case scenario, it could do $160M if people dont like it as much as GOTG.

This is exactly the same argument people had about Transforners. Sam doesn't matter, he's only a supporting character. All people care about is the Transformers. Result? 100m drop with no change other then Sam and his parents. Gru, the girls and the minions are all equal in character importance. You take away 2 and it's a 100m drop minimum. I think Inside Out will eat into it as well, which is why I have Minions at 215m.

It is not the same thing. Not even the same medium. You say 215? Cool. I think thats way too low, but I don't really care. You shouldn't care so much either if people are predicting higher. I'm personally seeing $330M, maybe more, and I'm sticking with that. I could give 2 shits what Youtube says.

• Like 1

There is absolutely no comparison between Puss in Boots and the Minions.

Ummm the better question is what isn't comparable? It's a spin off movie coming from a popular franchise. It involves one of the most popular characters in the franchise. The spin off takes out two of the other extremely popular characters. What happens? 90m drop from the previous film (which already lost 100m from the one before). That's the minimum it will drop from DM2. 275m is the max it can get, 250 is possible, but it'll be closer to 200 then 300 for sure. Where is the non-comparable aspect? Seriously I want to know.

This is exactly the same argument people had about Transforners. Sam doesn't matter, he's only a supporting character. All people care about is the Transformers. Result? 100m drop with no change other then Sam and his parents. Gru, the girls and the minions are all equal in character importance. You take away 2 and it's a 100m drop minimum. I think Inside Out will eat into it as well, which is why I have Minions at 215m.

Transformers was already on a downward slope with two badly received movies. Increasing the gap from 2 years to 3 years between the movies, Transformers was getting much more irrelevant due to franchises like Marvel which have taken over the family audience for big movies.

Inside Out eating into Minions? Monsters University and DM2 were released at the same times as these two.

Ummm the better question is what isn't comparable? It's a spin off movie coming from a popular franchise. It involves one of the most popular characters in the franchise. The spin off takes out two of the other extremely popular characters. What happens? 90m drop from the previous film (which already lost 100m from the one before). That's the minimum it will drop from DM2. 275m is the max it can get, 250 is possible, but it'll be closer to 200 then 300 for sure. Where is the non-comparable aspect? Seriously I want to know.

How about the fact that PIB never had 1/10th the merchandising success and pop culture relevance that the Minions have? Was he ever on rolls of Bounty in every grocery and big box store in the country and every box Amazon.com ships out for weeks?

• Like 1

Actually it is true. Doesn't change the fact that the Minions themselves are more popular than they have ever been.

HTTYD2 had a better release date, it didn't have to deal with a "“ the return of Pixar" and Minions most likely won't be as well received as HTTYD2

Transformers was already on a downward slope with two badly received movies. Increasing the gap from 2 years to 3 years between the movies, Transformers was getting much more irrelevant due to franchises like Marvel which have taken over the family audience for big movies.

Inside Out eating into Minions? Monsters University and DM2 were released at the same times as these two.

The lack of Sam definitely hurt AoE; most people love Dark of the Moon.

• Like 1

How about the fact that PIB never had 1/10th the merchandising success and pop culture relevance that the Minions have? Was he ever on rolls of Bounty in every grocery and big box store in the country and every box Amazon.com ships out for weeks?

The marketing push for this is titanic. Minions are sprawling over posters, billboards, TV ads, cinema ads, in several different brands that have nothing to do with Minions.

E.g. the biggest TV provider here (like Comcast or Verizon) has teamed up with Universal so all of their ads involve the minions.

HTTYD2 had a better release date, it didn't have to deal with a "“ the return of Pixar" and Minions most likely won't be as well received as HTTYD2

The problem with HTTYD2 though is that some people prefered to see "22 Jump Street" that same weekend.

Don't try to turn the table about that "Oh, Minions is not going to do great numbers" thing.