MovieGuyKyle17

Dreamworks Execs put ridiculous spin on under performing movies

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/dreamworks-execs-have-an-incredible-reason-for-why-their-films-are-unpopular-114283.html

During a meeting with investment firm analyst Benjamin Mogil of Stifel Nicolaus, DreamWorks explained to him that sometime between 2012 and 2014, kids stopped watching animated films as much as they used to, and now only very small children watch animated films. This sudden shift in moviegoing audiences from young to very young obviously hurt DreamWorks, which specializes in high-brow fare for discerning filmgoers.

I didn't see a thread for this but if there is, mod can delete this one. 

:blink: 

Considering how successful other animated films were in that period like Frozen DM2, The Lego Movie, BH6 and even DWA's own output like HTTYD2, Madagascar 3 and The Croods were hits, I do wonder if the executives just don't want to admit that their other films just weren't that good and also that the market is over-saturated partly due to them releasing 2-3 films in one year.

I think Katzenberg needs to step down and let someone take over the reigns because it's clear he and his execs have lost it.

• Like 2

Obviously that statement is BS, but it's not entirely untrue, insofar as animated films as a whole are not doing as well as they used to - audiences are watching less animated movies.

Maybe they need to realize that making films out of obscure baby products is not a recipe for success.

Boss Baby and  Captain Underpants or whatever are both still on schedule. 

I take it I'm the only person excited for Captain Underpants, then.

Obviously that statement is BS, but it's not entirely untrue, insofar as animated films as a whole are not doing as well as they used to - audiences are watching less animated movies.   Maybe they need to realize that making films out of obscure baby products is not a recipe for success.   Boss Baby and  Captain Underpants or whatever are both still on schedule.  I take it I'm the only person excited for Captain Underpants, then.
No, they're watching the same amount, they just have more to choose from

Considering how successful other animated films were in that period like Frozen DM2, The Lego Movie, BH6 and even DWA's own output like HTTYD2, Madagascar 3 and The Croods were hits, I do wonder if the executives just don't want to admit that their other films just weren't that good and also that the market is over-saturated partly due to them releasing 2-3 films in one year.

I think Katzenberg needs to step down and let someone take over the reigns because it's clear he and his execs have lost it.

Turbo wasn't good but release it a few weeks after MU and DM2 was a very bad choice.

No, they're watching the same amount, they just have more to choose from

Wrong. Look at the total tickets sold for animated films per year, the past few years have been down by quite a considerable amount compared to the years before.

Wrong. Look at the total tickets sold for animated films per year, the past few years have been down by quite a considerable amount compared to the years before.

But that's because up till the early 00's, animated movies used to be a treasured family event. Now there are so many to pick and choose from. Funnily enough, Dreamworks are the biggest reason for overcrowding the market with sub-par movies and sequels. And now they are suffering because of it. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Spidey Freak