K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

50 is not old guys :lol: I'm sure a remake of jaws would still do fine, though not numbers like JW.

It'd probably do fine, but it wouldn't do 20m in midnights or something. The fanbase isn't there or dedicated enough.

Regarding IO next weekend, rank doesn't really matter, rather the amount of money it makes does. If it makes $80m next weekend, and still finishes 2nd, who really cares? That being said I still think it has a great shot at opening at #1, as JW will fall quite a bit from a massive OW.

• Like 1

It'd probably do fine, but it wouldn't do 20m in midnights or something. The fanbase isn't there or dedicated enough.

I agree, they are both great movies and classics, but they are so different in term of appeal. Jaws would not be a kid/friendly movie like JP is, and thus wouldn't drive the numbers of a family audience. Jaws I think would act more like a thriller/horror movie type, but a little more on steroids (in box office numbers sense).

I agree, they are both great movies and classics, but they are so different in term of appeal. Jaws would not be a kid/friendly movie like JP is, and thus wouldn't drive the numbers of a family audience. Jaws I think would act more like a thriller/horror movie type, but a little more on steroids (in box office numbers sense).

I think Jaw's original sequels proved that one movie is enough for that concept. They make the JP2+3 look like cinematic masterpieces...
  • Like 1

Regarding IO next weekend, rank doesn't really matter, rather the amount of money it makes does. If it makes $80m next weekend, and still finishes 2nd, who really cares? That being said I still think it has a great shot at opening at #1, as JW will fall quite a bit from a massive OW.

Depends: if this only gets to 130M, predicting a 55% drop would have it at 58.5 next weekend. If this does 160 that puts it at around 72M. I don't think JW's second weekend will fall 60% or higher, think it got a good enough audience love for it to have some good legs.

• Like 1

I have to say, in terms of constant TV spots, brand and marketing tie-ins,promotions, and online media saturation, JW has by far the best marketing campaign I've seen since, well, Godzilla. 

Not really nostalgia considering the trilogy is still fresh peoples minds.

Nostalgia applied to STAR WARS with Episode 1 back in 1999.

Eh, I think for a lot of older people nostalgia's a big factor here, especially with the return of the original Big Three. And even back before the prequels came out, the release of the SEs primed the pump. I think it's the rare franchise that can be both contemporary and nostalgia-fueled.

• Like 6

I don't see how you revive Jaws to make it big again unless you basically turn it into that silly CGI Megalodon extravaganza that's already being developed. (Either that or be faithful and do a straight-up R-rated remake but you might as well try to remake The Godfather). The original may have been the first summer blockbuster, but it was very small scale and an unusually big chunk of its appeal has always been in the human characters and their interactions. It's much more of a New Hollywood '70s movie than even Star Wars. 

• Like 6

Jaws biggest problem would be that it has been ripped off so many times that nothing about would seem fresh or exciting. That's one movie best left alone.

• Like 2

13.9 rating for Game 4 of NBA Final, trumping the previous games again, and it peaked with a 16.0 from 11:15 to 11:30pm EST. So even more impressive figure for JW.

No game 4 and previews are well over $20 million.

The next couple weekends are going to be huge.

Jurassic World doing $140 million+ OW

Inside Out doing $60 million+ OW ($70-80 million possible, too) 

Ted 2 doing $60 million+ OW 

Spy holding up well

Max potentially surprising 

July 2015 looks extremely well-rounded, too. A good summer so far, even if May was a mild setback.