K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

This generation's Harrison Ford perhaps? (Ford was in his mid to late 30s when he did Star Wars and Indy)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

• Like 1

The original was a great movie. This one was well timed, placed, marketed.   I liked the big water monster, scientific or not. 

It's also the perfect hook. "The park is open" is the sequel people always wanted to see, not "a small party has to return to the island" which they made twice

• Like 2

Can't believe I'm saying this twice in 3 days, but that's like saying piracy and streaming aren't what tanked album sales and then digital track sales.

Totally different situation. Pirated music has no loss of quality compared to the original (more so now most is average quality digital anyway) and are available in minutes from release. Have you actually seen cinema cams? 99% arent even worth the bandwidth loss for a few hours. BR rips dont affect cinema gross all that much.

It's also the perfect hook. "The park is open" is the sequel people always wanted to see, not "a small party has to return to the island" which they made twice

I agree it's a more logical sequel, but let's get real. After the disastrous events of JP1, there shouldn't have been a sequel to the story. But money talks and bullshit walks.

I like Pratt, but no. There isn't another Ford.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The similarities are there. Big blockbusters in a row, connections to Spielberg, and fame found in mid to late 30s and plays "everyman" roles. I'm not saying he has the same acting chops, just saying that he could impact this generation in a similar way Ford impacted ours.

• Like 1

I like Pratt, but no. There isn't another Ford.

Yep, movie stars of today will never be as big as movie stars of the past

I can already tell you how this is gonna go down: People are gonna build Pratt up as this huge moviestar cuz he's in two popular franchises, he'll star in some less-appealing movie that relies solely on his name, it'll bomb, and people will tear him apart for it

• Like 3

Totally different situation. Pirated music has no loss of quality compared to the original (more so now most is average quality digital anyway) and are available in minutes from release. Have you actually seen cinema cams? 99% arent even worth the bandwidth loss for a few hours. BR rips dont affect cinema gross all that much.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen/heard people post/say they're not going to watch a movie in theaters because they already have/will have it at home for free.

Cinema cams? Why are you ignoring actual leaked films/files?

• Like 1

8dZZTx6.gif

• Like 1

It is kind of weird, but Universal effectively lucked into 2015 being their biggest year. 50 Shades was delayed due to Hunnam, we all know what happened with Furious 7, Jurassic World production was shut down to improve the script (I guess) and all of these came from 2014 into 2015 releases.

Universal was smart though, they made full use of the Superbowl on NBC and promoted them to the largest audience possible as well as running a relentless marketing campaign.

Just shows that it is okay to delay movies or shut down production to take time to get it right. Doesn't always mean that things are screwed.

We already learned that with World War Z.

Luke didn't appear til the end of the movie..

Not to derail this thread, but would you be disappointed if SW7 didn't have all 3 of the old actors, Han Leia and Luke on the screen at the same time??? I only ask this because I read a spoiler awhile back that said

I don't know BKB.  I 'm just glad they are all coming back.  Whatever capacity that is in, then so be it.

• Like 1

I can't tell you how many times I've seen/heard people post/say they're not going to watch a movie in theaters because they already have/will have it at home for free.

Cinema cams? Why are you ignoring actual leaked films/files?

That's like saying the introduction of sound didn't affect silent films.  

The similarities are there. Big blockbusters in a row, connections to Spielberg, and fame found in mid to late 30s and plays "everyman" roles. I'm not saying he has the same acting chops, just saying that he could impact this generation in a similar way Ford impacted ours.

This generation is just as obsessed with Kim Kardashian and other reality TV stars as they are with any movie star. In truth it's more about the concept and big effects that drive movie grosses today.

• Like 1

At the cinemark theater near me the regular theater is filling up fast while the same showtimes in 3d whether large screen or normal screen have 10% as many seats filled at most.  But there's a megaplex theater with a digital imax screen showing JW in 3d that is filling up while the comparable 2d showtimes are about a quarter as full.

Why? Got evidence to the contrary or did you just buy the studios party line? Analysis on torrent tracking numbers proves it.

Yea, I've got evidence.  It's easy evidence.  Attendance is way down.  

Case closed end of story.

Yep, movie stars of today will never be as big as movie stars of the past

I can already tell you how this is gonna go down: People are gonna build Pratt up as this huge moviestar cuz he's in two popular franchises, he'll star in some less-appealing movie that relies solely on his name, it'll bomb, and people will tear him apart for it

You don't think Ford was discounted in the very same manner back in the late 70s/early 80s? "There will never be another Bogart or John Wayne, etc." I think Ford now ranks up with those guys.

This generation is just as obsessed with Kim Kardashian and other reality TV stars as they are with any movie star. In truth it's more about the concept and big effects that drive movie grosses today.

A star people like can help a franchise movie, but people won't go see their favorite actors in anything these days. That's the main difference, I think. Concept comes first