#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

What year had the most movies over 350 m?

This year could have SIX!

F7

AOU

JW

IO

MJ2

SW7

Don't forget Minions. And don't count Bond out either. So we could potentially go as high as 8. In fact I think IO is the one most in danger of not making it, and it has a pretty good shot too.

• Like 1

Star Wars - 700m (or higher, or lower, but still the biggest)

Jurassic - 650m

Avengers - 457m

Mockingjay - 375m

Minions - 360m

Inside Out - 360m

Furious 7 - 355m

SEVEN MOVIES outgrossing 2014's biggest release.

• Like 3

Don't forget Minions. And don't count Bond out either. So we could potentially go as high as 8. In fact I think IO is the one most in danger of not making it, and it has a pretty good shot too.

Forgot about BOND

and it sounds like it's Daniel Craig's last BOND film

So, it could be HUGE

Edited by Mitch

But it made 99% of its box office in 2015

Which contributes to the 2015 calendar yearly and studio grosses, but the film is still a 2014 release. It's how it's always worked.

If an album tanks upon release in December 2015 but then becomes a hit in 2016 it's still a 2015 release.

I do not think Inside Out will drop just because the others have done so.  One thing i have learned this year is that each movie makes their own numbers.

IO isn't getting a 4x multi, that much I know. I don't doubt WOM is great all around, but people need to put its OW in perspective for a moment and also look at the recent trend of animated multis. I don't think any better WOM was even possible for TS3, yet it stopped under a 3.8x multi because it had such a huge OW. IO's OW is going to be less than 15m below TS3's, so they're opening fairly similarly. And as I said, recent trends for animated multis aren't what they once were. Only the very well received ones are hitting 3.5x multis now and 4x is becoming near impossible barring a small OW. Don't even know what the last big animated film to open on a Friday and get a 4x multi was? BH6 came close but still fell short. Even Frozen would have probably just made it with a Friday opening. So 3.5x is more than a high enough goal for IO to shoot for with that massive OW and current animation multis. That's not even taking into account the havoc Minions could wreak on its late legs. People should prepare now for the possibility of IO not going much above 3.2x or so, even with the WOM.

• Like 1

It looks like Home has not hit the dollar theaters yet.  So the 413 theaters it is still playing at are regular ones.  Mostly 20+ screen theater locations that have brought consistent business from Home.  BO.com estimates it having a 50% drop this weekend and an $823 per location average.  Expect this to rise up past 1,000 again once it hits dollar theaters.  Again, it looks like Home still has alot of life left in it.  Its take after this weekend is estimated to be 174.14.  Expect it to be close to 177 by Labor Day.

It's not going to get a bump up to 1000. There aren't that many dollar theaters. There may be a few hundred, at best.

For comparisons:

Rio 2 added 12 theaters in June.

Peabody & Sherman only added single theaters starting in August, and it was under 100 theaters at the time.

The LEGO movie got an obvious bump in May, but even that was only 181 theaters, and just edged it over 400.

The Croods, it never got a theater bump late in its run.

The Lorax got its transition over Memorial Day and added 11 theaters.

If a film is playing strongly for a long time, it may not get a theater bump. Frozen and DM2 had very minor bumps late in their runs. This probably indicates that the film is transitioning from first to second run in phases, so the gains in the latter are offset by the drops in the former.

• Like 1