Bonenash

Tuesday Actuals: Jurassic World - 13.13M | Inside Out 13.04M

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JURASSIC WORLD took in $13.13M on Tuesday. Domestic total stands at $427.50M. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/JurassicWorld?src=hash">#JurassicWorld</a></p>&mdash; BoxOffice (@BoxOffice) <a href=" 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • Like 2

Since it seems Jurassic World will be joining this list by the end of next weekend here is a list of all films in the modern "Event Film" era(1975-2015) which adjust to 500M+ from their first runs*(according to BOM):

*"First runs" of films from the mid 80s on were heavily affected/shortened by the emerging home video market, which today includes many different avenues, including piracy.

**Significantly boosted by 3-D up-charges

EDIT: All films are rounded to the nearest $10 and older films are put ahead of newer films since inflation adjustment is not an exact science.

This informative list is very much appreciated. Will Jurassic also warrant a double asterisk?

• Like 1

This informative list is very much appreciated. Will Jurassic also warrant a double asterisk?

Of course. It could beat Avatar and still not come close to Jurassic Park admissions.

Park admissions...heh.

• Like 3

Pretty much every big movie since Avatar has had a good boost from 3D (along with expanded IMAX/PLF). The original JP with Avatar's average ticket price would have grossed around $850m. I'm basing this on Brandon Gray's article at BOM where he said Avatar was around 60.7m admissions after $601m gross. Even using the 3D/IMAX ratios of the current JP4, the original JP is probably in the $775m area.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

I thought IO would have taken the weekdays but JW is showing what a beast it truly is.

Jurassic World has more teens, college kids and older adults going to see it. 

Inside Out depends more on kids; whose parents still have to go to work Monday-Thursday. 

At this point, I'm expecting IO to make a little more than JW over the weekend since JW's burnt off more demand and Universal may want to boost Ted 2's OW gross. 

Edited by mahnamahna

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-ted-2-50-million-opening-1201527047/

Even with such a sizable kick-off, “Ted 2″ may not capture the top slot on the box office charts. In its second weekend of release, “Inside Out” is also expected to generate more than $50 million. That’s a less than a 50% drop from its $91 million debut, a signal that the story of a teenage girl’s emotional life has burrowed into the popular consciousness and won’t let go. Previous Pixar films such as “Toy Story 3″ and “Monsters University” have all shown impressive staying power, and “Inside Out” should benefit from ecstatic reviews.

In its third week of release, “Jurassic World’s” grosses will clock in at roughly $55 million as “Ted 2″ nibbles at its core audience of younger males.

i hope JW retain the top spot again, But i'm confident it will make $50 on it's thrid weekend. $55 more likely. 

I love to see two movies making $13 on a weekday. Remember the Friday of Memorial day, no movie made over $10. How thing change in a few weeks

Jurassic World has more teens, college kids and older adults going to see it. 

Inside Out depends more on kids; whose parents still have to go to work Monday-Thursday. 

At this point, I'm expecting IO to make a little more than JW over the weekend since JW's burnt off more demand and Universal may want to boost Ted 2's OW gross.

People said the same about last weekend once IO's Friday numbers came in.

• Like 1

People said the same about last weekend once IO's Friday numbers came in.

Ted 2 is from Universal and also targets JW's demo more than IO's (college kids/older adults). Inside Out and Ted 2 couldn't be further apart in terms of demographics. 

With how much money JW has made already, I wouldn't be shocked if some of JW's money was 'fudged' over to Ted 2's OW to ensure it opens bigger than the original. 

And no one said that lol. Both made roughly the same minus IO's previews and going off history, it was obvious JW would end up a little higher.

IO is more of a weekend film than this - kids can't drive themselves to the movie theater Mon-Thurs like teens, college kids and older adults (the bulk of JW's audience) can. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

JW doesn't have a demo, it's the epitome of a 4 quadrant film. Ted 2 competing for teens and young adults will be no greater than IO competing for families. Ted 2 also won't need help getting past its predecessor's OW.

• Like 1