Blankments

Blank's Top 100 Films Of The 21st Century! (FINALLY COMPLETE!)

virgen-a-los-40.jpg

Release Date: August 19, 2005.

Director: Judd Apatow.
Starring: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, and Paul Rudd.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 138.647M
RottenTomatoes: 85%
Average BOT Reviews: 88% (10 votes)

This is the only Judd Apatow film I’ve seen (although I hope to check out Trainwreck before it leaves theaters), and I don’t get the hate. Granted, he didn’t get the hate in 2005, when this was first released. It doesn’t feel too long, it’s consistently hilarious, and has a nice heartfelt side that a lot of comedies these days fail to have. It’s also a great showcase for Carell, Rogen, and Rudd, although I still want a movie starring Romany Malco and David Koechner. Just kidding, but seriously, this movie includes an insane amount of actors who went on to make it big. Also Keener gives a traditionally good performance. The 40-Year-Old Virgin is a surprisingly heartfelt comedy that still has plenty of great laughs.

• Like 3

Wreckitralphposter.jpeg

Release Date: November 2, 2012.

Director: Rich Moore.
Starring: John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, and Jack McBrayer.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 191.290M
RottenTomatoes: 86%
Average BOT Reviews: 94% (32 votes)

Disney’s been in a new animated era, one where they switch off from Pixar-like original CGI fare, and the animated musicals they’ve always been known for. It’s a shame that most people think that the later works, Frozen and Big Hero 6, top the films which codified these new tropes, since frankly, the first entries in them both own them easily. I’m not going to be talking about the latter now though; rather, Wreck-It Ralph out-does Big Hero 6 ridiculously. There’s so much heart to it, the voice-acting by all four main characters is top-notch, and the video game cameos serve the story, rather than the other way around. It’s impossible not to be charmed by the creative world on display, and the unique animation used to show the era of video games despite all characters being computer-generated. It’s a retro fun modern take on Toy Story, and it’s super fun and touching.

• Like 6

fast-5-poster-2.jpg

Release Date: April 29, 2011.

Director: Justin Lin.
Starring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, and Jordana Brewster.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 211.428M
RottenTomatoes: 78%
Average BOT Reviews: 83% (29 votes)

The Fast and Furious franchise is well-storied on film forums throughout the Web, but one thing is agreed by practically everyone; Fast Five revived the franchise by changing it from just car chases to all out action movies. Of the three F+F movies that I’d consider insane action movies, Fast Five is the only one that manages to have a totally cohesive story. This is where I usually talk about the acting, but come on, this is Fast and Furious, there’s nothing to talk about there. Well, I guess I could mention the genius addition of Dwayne Johnson to the franchise, since his humor and badassery totally kicks this one up a notch. The final action scene is balls-to-the-wall great, and Lin proves to be the best filmmaker for this splendid franchise.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 3

worlds-end-poster-2.jpg

Release Date: August 23, 2013.

Director: Edgar Wright.
Starring: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Paddy Considine.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 26.902M
RottenTomatoes: 89%
Average BOT Reviews: 89% (42 votes)

Let’s get this out of the way right now: I need to see the other movies in the Cornetto trilogy. I’ve been a lazy bum about them, so that’s why Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz aren’t on this list. That said, I absolutely love Edgar Wright’s filming style. He takes a whole lot of insanity, mixes it up with dry British humor and wordplay, and tops it off with action better than most action movies out there. The World’s End is anchored by Simon Pegg’s best performance yet, as a recovering alcoholic of which that descriptor might not be the best. Pegg emotes with pathos but yet never manages to stop being hilarious when need be. Frost also gives a typically humorous comedic performance, and the script is sharply funny while being filmed incredibly. The World’s End is an all-around package, a film that tastes as good as the Golden Mile does to Gary King.

• Like 5

I've seen this and Shaun, but not Hot Fuzz. (My brother and both my parents have seen it, my dad and brother recommend it. The one time I tried watching, I fell asleep because it was on at night, and watching TV after about 9 usually makes me drowsy, no matter how engaging the film would be if I were fully awake. I really need to find the time to watch Hot Fuzz.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Mission_impossible_ghost_protocol.jpg

Release Date: December 21, 2011.

Director: Brad Bird.
Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, and Simon Pegg.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 215.893M
RottenTomatoes: 93%
Average BOT Reviews: 89% (55 votes)

To be fair, if I had rewatched MI3 by the time I was making this list, it would’ve probably made it. I’m a sucker for the Mission: Impossible movies, and Ghost Protocol just might be my favorite. Everything is firing on all cylinders: the stunts, which were never so batshit insane; the team, which actually feels like a team and not just people serving Tom Cruise; the cinematography, though to be fair, that’s mostly because of the crazy IMAX cameras; and, of course, the Cruise Missile, who has never been so fully into his stunts as he was in this one. It’s got a decent story, but it’s not like I watch the M:I movies for the story. It’s a great action flick, with an all-timer action scene in the middle. Go go Ghotocol!

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 5

mza_4291350728893109716.jpg

Release Date: July 12, 2013.

Director: Ryan Coogler.
Starring: Michael B. Jordan, Melonie Diaz, and Kevin Durand.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 16.669M
RottenTomatoes: 94%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (19 votes)

Don’t let the trailer fool you: this film is not upbeat in anyway. In fact, I think that for a solid third of the running time of Fruitvale Station, I was sobbing, but yet, the film never feels overly melodramatic or manipulative. Coogler’s direction and script is subtle enough for us to realize that Michael B. Jordan’s Oscar is definitely not a perfect being, but he is definitely a martyr. The tragedy of the film only gets bigger and bigger the more similar incidents show up in today’s society. Jordan’s subtle performance is hugely emotionally effective, and overall, it’s a movie that just has to be seen to be believed. Lucky for you, it’s on Netflix. Go watch it right now.

• Like 7

Mission_impossible_ghost_protocol.jpg

Release Date: December 21, 2011.

Director: Brad Bird.

Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, and Simon Pegg.

Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 215.893M

RottenTomatoes: 93%

Average BOT Reviews: 89% (55 votes)

To be fair, if I had rewatched MI3 by the time I was making this list, it would’ve probably made it. I’m a sucker for the Mission: Impossible movies, and Ghost Protocol just might be my favorite. Everything is firing on all cylinders: the stunts, which were never so batshit insane; the team, which actually feels like a team and not just people serving Tom Cruise; the cinematography, though to be fair, that’s mostly because of the crazy IMAX cameras; and, of course, the Cruise Missile, who has never been so fully into his stunts as he was in this one. It’s got a decent story, but it’s not like I watch the M:I movies for the story. It’s a great action flick, with an all-timer action scene in the middle. Go go Ghotocol!

:wub:

• Like 1

Tangled_poster.jpg

Release Date: November 24, 2010.

Director: Nathan Greno and Byron Howard.
Starring: Zachary Levi and Mandy Moore.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 204.408M
RottenTomatoes: 90%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (24 votes)

Holy shit. I forgot how bad that trailer was. Thankfully, the movie is much, much better, with it being the only CGI animated Disney film that films straight out of the Renaissance. All the songs are memorable, and the story is simple enough that it works, but where this film really works is its characters. Rapunzel, Flynn, Mother Gothel, the two animal sidekicks... all of them are really memorable and work together to make this film truly memorable. The animation is also gorgeous; I’d argue it looks better than Frozen as it truly takes advantage of the premise of the story to make a gorgeous world that looks just like a cartoon from the 90s brought to life. Tangled is one of Disney’s best period, and is a charming musical with plenty of great characters.

• Like 5

tju0owvuxbe2zsswfxcp.jpg

Release Date: November 2, 2001.

Director: Pete Docter.
Starring: John Goodman, Billy Crystal, and Mary Gibbs.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 400.761M
RottenTomatoes: 96%
Average BOT Reviews: 95% (23 votes)

One of Pixar’s most imaginative, Monsters Inc. has always had a special place in my heart. I remember seeing it in the cinema, over Thanksgiving, the typical Pixar tradition at that point. Over the years, I still find it astounding just how creative it is. Monsters, reimagined as blue collar workers, harvest screams at a power plant? It’s an idea I just can’t fathom where it came from, but it works oh, so well. Docter’s winning combination of humor and heart works well on this film, although I suppose it’s not like a bit more emotion could’ve hurt the film. Mike and Sulley are Pixar’s second best “Buddies” in both rapport and emotion, and the voice-acting by Crystal and Goodman is pitch perfect. Monsters, Inc. is Pixar’s most underrated work, and is one fantastic animated film.

• Like 6

177-12Yrs-rgb-jpg_172423.jpg

Release Date: November 8, 2013.

Director: Steve McQueen.
Starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, and Benedict Cumberbatch.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 56.672M
RottenTomatoes: 96%
Average BOT Reviews: 92% (44 votes)

When people say a film is “powerful,” 12 Years a Slave is the type of movie they’re referring to. This film is relentless, showing you the sheer horrors of slavery in such brutal context that you will be disgusted and feel horrible that such an atrocity existed, an atrocity that we are still feeling the effects from today. The main three in the cast (Ejiofor, Fassbender, and Nyong’o) all deliver career best performances, and McQueen’s direction is on point throughout the entire film. The ending gives you such sorrow but yet such anger at the way Solomon Northrup’s life turned out. This is the highest placing Best Picture winner on this list for a reason; it’s truly one of the best biopics ever made, and a necessary watch for everyone on the planet.

• Like 2

movieposter.jpg

Release Date: November 21, 2007.

Director: Kevin Lima.
Starring: Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey, and James Marsden.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 149.676M
RottenTomatoes: 93%
Average BOT Reviews: 90% (8 votes)

Y’know how everyone credits Tangled and Frozen for Disney’s comeback? Well, even though Enchanted wasn’t done by WDAS, I think it started the trend of Disney meaning something high quality in the new millennium. It’s infinitely better than The Princess and the Frog, and it’s full of charm. I can’t imagine someone watching this movie and really hating it. Spall, Marsden and Dempsey all give admirable performances, making the most of each of their characters, but the true star is Amy Adams. This is a star-making role for her, and I still argue she should’ve been nominated for Best Actress, as her work in slowly evolving Giselle from a two-dimensional princess to a very real woman is astounding. The music in Enchanted is much better than both Frozen and Tangled, and it’s impossible to watch without smiling again and again. It doesn’t quite stick the third act, but everything else is just magical, or – dare I say it – enchanting.

• Like 4

Guardians-of-The-Galaxy-Release-Poster.j

Release Date: August 1, 2014.

Director: James Gunn.
Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 334.353M
RottenTomatoes: 91%
Average BOT Reviews: 92% (127 votes)

I refuse to acknowledge Guardians of the Galaxy as a superhero movie. Nothing anyone does in this movie is superheroic at all. This is Marvel’s take on a space opera through and through, and man, does it entertain. Gunn smartly decides to make all the characters interesting, albeit in different ways. The action is okay, but the character moments more than make up for any misgivings there. All are well cast too, from Pratt’s breakout role to Saldana and Bautista both rising their characters from the page to Diesel’s and Cooper’s excellent voice work. The soundtrack is very nice too, both orchestrated by Tyler Bates and the excellent 70s and 80s pop music used to great effect. The villain is very underdeveloped, but when the movie is this entertaining, it’s a forgivable flaw. Guardians of the Galaxy is the best argument that Marvel Studios is great in all kinds of blockbusters, not just superhero films.

• Like 5

N2gfeu9.jpg

Release Date: May 4, 2012.

Director: Joss Whedon.
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, and Mark Ruffalo.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 623.358M
RottenTomatoes: 92%
Average BOT Reviews: 88% (127 votes)

The culmination of Phase 1 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, The Avengers is still the best release Marvel Studios has ever put out. Everything works, from the playful banter of everyone in the cast, to the action beats that always work because they’re focused on character over coolness (not that they aren’t cool; a lot of the action tag-team moments in this ARE awesome). Whedon’s script is pretty great for the comic book genre, full of good fun quotes and excellent drama. A lot of people don’t like the beginning, but even I’m cool with that, because getting everyone together gives it a sense of accomplishment when they finally do come together. I honestly think AoU is missing something just because we don’t see the Avengers reunite, but that’s beside the point. Hiddleston’s Loki is a cool villain too. All in all, The Avengers is infinitely rewatchable and insanely fun.
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 5

interstellar_alt_artowrk.jpeg

Release Date: November 5, 2014.

Director: Christopher Nolan.
Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, and Jessica Chastain.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 188.020M
RottenTomatoes: 71%
Average BOT Reviews: 87% (146 votes)

MURPHHHHH. Interstellar might be one of Nolan’s most maligned films on this forum, but I still see enough emotional heart in it for it to be considered great. Granted, I haven’t seen it since theaters, but it manages to be emotional, unlike Nolan’s other work, probably due to McConaughey being… well, McConaughey. It also has a bangin’ score by Hans Zimmer, getting his Phillip Glass on. All in all, the thing about Interstellar is it’s not perfect, but it’s one of my favorite directors doing one of my favorite subjects in sci-fi. And it has TARS! And hey, as cheesy as some of Damon’s lines are, it’s still got nothing on “STOP READING MAD MAX AND HUNGER GAMES DOUCHEBAGS” by Hugh Laurie. I guess that’s kinda damning with faint praise though. :lol: It’s hard for me to describe why I like Interstellar I guess; I’ve been defending it on and off since release and also putting it down. Even with its faults, Interstellar is an entertaining, thought-provoking film.

• Like 7

tumblr_m525o3phkw1qm178co1_1280.jpg

Release Date: September 21, 2012.

Director: Stephen Chbosky.
Starring: Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Ezra Miller.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 17.909M
RottenTomatoes: 85%
Average BOT Reviews: 90% (54 votes)

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a movie that instantly takes me back to the melancholy of high school. Everything about it is done pitch perfect to make a feeling of nostalgia for a time when things didn’t make much sense, and life could really suck. The thing is though, with low lows, high school can have some high highs of sheer emotional bliss. This movie captures it all, with brilliant performances by Lerman, Miller, and Watson all around. Watson in particular feels like the perfect “weird” cool girl, while Lerman’s Charlie is one of the more impressively subtle young performances I’ve ever seen. The film breezes by quickly, and it perfectly captures the worry of being a freshman in high school.

• Like 2