CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Pixar is no less guilty of whoring itself out for merchandise than any other production studio. Was walking through a mall the other day and the Disney Store had Inside Out merchandise at the front of the store right where everyone could see it even without walking into the store.

Don't you understand that if it's a movie WE enjoy, it's earned the right to be merchandised out the wazoo because WE deem it worthy? Only merchandising for movies we DON'T like deserves utter scorn! :P

This is why I don't care how much movie X is merchandised. When we like a movie we don't complain.

• Like 3

What would be Minions multiplier? 3.5x?

Multipliers of animation movies (released wide & grossed > 50m) in 2014, 2015.

IO 3.87 (if it finishes at 350m)

Home 3.37

Penguins 3.27

Big Hero 6 3.96

Book of Life 2.95

Planes 2 3.37

HTTYD2 3.58

Rio 2 3.34

Peabody & Sherman 3.46

Lego 3.73

Nut Job 3.31

Hope it manages 2.9 of Cars 2.

Edited by a2k

John Lasseter claims otherwise, but he might be a wee bit delusional.

Disney execs were like "there there Lasseter, you can make your highly risky passion project"

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

I don't think merchandising in itself is what annoys people. If the minions were in good films I think people would be very much ok with it.

I don't know, I feel like Frozen backlash has already gotten to a lot of people.

Don't you understand that if it's a movie WE enjoy, it's earned the right to be merchandised out the wazoo because WE deem it worthy? Only merchandising for movies we DON'T like deserves utter scorn! :P

This is why I don't care how much movie X is merchandised. When we like a movie we don't complain.

You say that in jest, but it's true. We want to forget movies we hate, not be constantly reminded of their existence.

• Like 1

I literally have no idea what the plot of Shrek the Third was, I was trying to recall the movies and the first one is the fairytale and Disney sendoff, the second is Meet the Parents and the fourth (which I actually remember liking) had Rumpelstiltskin's plan and the alternate reality but I could not remember a single thing from Shrek 3 - apparently it was the one with Justin Timberlake.

Speaking of Shrek, how the hell did Shrek 2 do 108M weekend from a 20M Wednesday and Thursday total?

• Like 2

I seem to recall Shrek 3 being marketed as some kind of domestic comedy with Shrek having to deal with kids, then finding out that scene plastered all over the trailers was actually just a nightmare sequence?

Shrek 2's 5-day is baffling as hell. I seem to recall reading that it was actually pushed forward two days at the last minute, so a lot of audiences may not have even been aware it was opening on a Wednesday? Also, kids were still in school, it does seem weird to have a family film opening on a Wednesday on a non-holiday week. When else has that happened?

Edited by TServo2049

Where is Empire? I wanna enjoy his suffering :P

Also, that is not a bad number for The Gallows.

All I said is it won't be highest grossing animated movie and animated movie OW. None of those have happened yet, so don't know why you are gloating already. :lol:

I don't know, I feel like Frozen backlash has already gotten to a lot of people.

I think with Frozen the exasperation is aimed more at the obsessed fangirls (or boys) than the actual merchandising. You can't reasonably expect Disney not to exploit its most successful IP in nearly two decades.

I literally have no idea what the plot of Shrek the Third was, I was trying to recall the movies and the first one is the fairytale and Disney sendoff, the second is Meet the Parents and the fourth (which I actually remember liking) had Rumpelstiltskin's plan and the alternate reality but I could not remember a single thing from Shrek 3 - apparently it was the one with Justin Timberlake.

Speaking of Shrek, how the hell did Shrek 2 do 108M weekend from a 20M Wednesday and Thursday total?

Shrek 2's Saturday is still a record for 4th day of release for any film, adjusts to $58.5m. Crazy, insane, however you want to put it.

Does mahamaha not realize all movies are cash grabs? This is a business. Business exists to make money.

Did you even read my response?

I  flat-out said all sequels are cash-grabs. :lol:  But not all movies are. David Lynch, PTA, Kubrick, David Cronenberg, Inarritu, etc... none of them make their movies solely to make money. In fact, most of their films weren't remotely mainstream-friendly. 

But like others have pointed out, just because something is intended to make money doesn't mean you should provide a second-rate product. Pixar is generally first-rate. Minions appears to be bottom-of-the-barrel. 

The original Star Wars trilogy may be a cash-grab, but effort was put into the film to make it compelling. Same goes for Jaws, Raiders, BTTF, E.T., Ghostbusters, Roger Rabbit, JP, T2, Aliens, etc. 

All I was saying is that Minions puts zero effort into actually giving the audience over the age of 7 something remotely enjoyable, while countless other animated films (non-Pixar ones included) bother to give teens/adults something to enjoy. 

It's a 'bad' cash grab because it has no real thematic depth or worth. Other sequels (Pixar or non-Pixar) have more to offer to their respective franchises. 

Baumer aren't you being a little harsh, not all of us “Pixar Loonies" are screaming in rage that Minions is making money.

I'm not screaming in rage about Minions making money.

I was just responding to Baumer's anti-Pixar/pro-Minions remark. I honestly want both to do well. But I'm just trying to point out how Minions is a 'bad' cash grab, while IO is a 'good' cash grab. One has artistic depth/merit, while the other is complete fluff. 

do you realize that some movies at least have a bit of artistic integrity? movies exists to make money true,  but some of them exists solely because of that.

^this.

Just because you're trying to make money doesn't mean to provide mediocre garbage on the pretense that 'audiences will eat it up'. Is it really crazy to expect a half-way decent movie? 

Pixar is no less guilty of whoring itself out for merchandise than any other production studio. Was walking through a mall the other day and the Disney Store had Inside Out merchandise at the front of the store right where everyone could see it even without walking into the store.

No one ever said that. 

I even said multiple times that Pixar does cash-grabs. I was just pointing out how Pixar actually gives the audience something of high-quality or decent quality to back up that 'cash grab'. Minions appears to have zero substance... hence why it's a mediocre 'cash grab'. 

• Like 1