BoxOfficeZ

Wednesday: Minions 11.1, IO 2.6, JW 2.2

Minions might get the crown for highest opening week ever if it crosses 10 million tomorrow which it probably will, and in this case it will be the highest ever week 1 opener for an animated film. Pretty significant and not sure if it will be reported on news sites (they tend to care about OWs more than full weeks though).

TS3's week 1 haul is 167.

And that's an interesting point here - Shrek 3 fell pretty hard during weekdays during its first week. Made half of what Minions did.

It is official Minions:11.5 Jurassic World:2.2

Very good for Minions, so it's not a 34% drop after all, more like maybe 31%?

Yeah -31.5%.

Keeps the possibility of 60m 2nd weekend alive.

11.6 Thu,

18m(+55%) + 24.3m(+35%) + 18.22m(-25%) = 60.52m

And that's an interesting point here - Shrek 3 fell pretty hard during weekdays during its first week. Made half of what Minions did.

Shrek 3 opened in May. Minions opened in July.

Not a fair comparison. Like at all...

It is official Minions:11.5 Jurassic World:2.2

Very good for Minions, so it's not a 34% drop after all, more like maybe 31%?

Yeah -31.5%.

Keeps the possibility of 60m 2nd weekend alive.

11.6 Thu,

18m(+55%) + 24.3m(+35%) + 18.22m(-25%) = 60.52m

Shrek 3 opened in May. Minions opened in July.

Not a fair comparison. Like at all...

Still an interesting figure to look at, maybe compared to TS3 which had the July 4 weekend as far as I recall to boost its early figures.

I don't see why IO can't have better late legs than TS3. It held well against Minions and literally have no competition the whole of August.

My post:

Below, average refers to the average of the fourth Mon + Tue + Wed for each movie. (Because one day can be an anomaly, I used the average of 3 days)

TS3 averaged 3.07m and made 66.5m more. 21.66x

DM2 averaged 2.38m and made 53.05m more. 22.28x

Using Wed's 2.6m, IO averages 2.76m and will be on 292.5m on Wed. I don't think it can add 77.5m (28x) more.

DM2's multiplier, 22.28x will give it 61.4m more. ~354m.

24x gives it 66.24m. 358.74m.

25x leads to 361.5m.

So I think ~360m is the ceiling for IO. I would bet on 355m.

(I know IO had started tracking ahead of TS3 and fell back because of Minions. But different movies face competition at different stages and the tracking changes.)

And your reply:

I don't see why IO can't have better late legs than TS3. It held well against Minions and literally have no competition the whole of August.

You concluded from my post that I have given it worse legs than TS3?

Does not make sense. Sorry, it's a stupid reply.

I have given it better legs than both the other movies.

Edited by a2k

Ouch for Minions!! I knew Tuesday drop would be hard, but I was thinking 25-30% for 12-12.5m. 11m is mediocre, to be frank. I hope it recovers a bit to 11.5 or so with actuals.

Thankfully we can now lay to rest those ridiculous 70m 2nd weekend and 450m total predictions now. 400m is the high-end for this I reckon.

Your hope came true:) - 11.55 million today

I don't see it getting a 72.4% jump on Friday. It's loosing IMAX. It jumped 67% last week.

I just figured since we are in sub-$4M daily territory, larger percentage increases were fair game.

But that's a fair point as well.