BoxOfficeZ

Wednesday: Minions 11.1, IO 2.6, JW 2.2

As stunning as JW's run is, to me the most amazing BO story of 2015 is AMERICAN SNIPER. That thing came out of nowhere. At least with JW there was some precedent in the franchise.

I think you mean BO story of 2014. For legal and calendar-related reasons we must no longer associate AS with 2015 in any aspect  :ph34r:

You underestimate how patriotic Americans are, understand that and it wasn't all that surprising. Jurassic World will be the #3 biggest film of all-time soon, most thought it would struggle to get $300M.

Edited by Bishop54

You underestimate how patriotic Americans are, understand that and it wasn't all that surprising. 

Tell me remotely any western coming anywhere close to AS. Not even half. Tell me a comparable movie that did even half what AS did. JW had the precedence of JP and so its not unprecedented.

• Like 1

Tell me remotely any western coming anywhere close to AS. Not even half. Tell me a comparable movie that did even half what AS did. JW had the precedence of JP and so its not unprecedented.

A Western? Why a Western?

You underestimate how patriotic Americans are, understand that and it wasn't all that surprising. Jurassic World will be the #3 biggest film of all-time soon, most thought it would struggle to get $300M.

No it was surprising. It was safe to assume Lone Survivor was the absolute ceiling and AS blew past that in like a week. Like Tele said, JW at least already had a 20 year old fanbase. AS did not, plus it was rated R and was not aided by 3D.

A Western? Why a Western?

A drama may be. Still the genre itself dont do half what AS did. JW did what JP did back in 1993. Franchise broke OW record 3/4. So nothing out of the world. Just that we did not see it coming. I predicted 150m in days before its OW after seeing it considering its a crowd pleaser. But all stars aligned and it broke OW record. But definitely not the story of the year.

Pre-award season, the buzz was that Eastwood had a misfire. WOM was really mixed, most people thought it'd get a limited platform release just to technically qualify for the Oscars and then eke out a 40-50m domestic run. To the extent that someone -- some crazy person -- might've thought that it would break out, they were thinking BLACK HAWK DOWN/LONE SURVIVOR numbers. It basically did that OW.

• Like 1