CJohn

The Star | 17 NOV 2017 | Sony Pictures Animation | Twerking doves and stealing Lone Ranger jokes in the trailer on pg. 5 | Re-releasing this year on December 7 & 8 (don't ask)

Just now, That One Guy said:

Sausage Party.

That film had a ton of controversy on how it treated its animators. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wow, what was the last animated movie released by a Big 6 studio that was that cheap to make?

I guess with that budget, it's not going to look particularly great animation wise even being outsourced. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I guess with that budget, it's not going to look particularly great animation wise even being outsourced. 

I heard that the Muppets puppeteer was involved in this. That may be why the studio was able to make the film cheaply: cheap animation style.

Just now, slambros said:

I heard that the Muppets puppeteer was involved in this. That may be why the studio was able to make the film cheaply: cheap animation style.

Yes, Jim Henson along with Walden Media is co financing this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wow, what was the last animated movie released by a Big 6 studio that was that cheap to make?

Even Captain Underpants had a $38M budget.

• Like 2

Just now, YourMother said:

I wonder how this and Daddy's Home 2 will co exist OW.

I suspect Daddy's Home 2 and Murder on the Orient Express will do more business than The Star IMHO. A OW similar to Smurfs The Lost Village or to use a November comparison Free Birds wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect Daddy's Home 2 and Murder on the Orient Express will do more business than The Star IMHO. A OW similar to Smurfs The Lost Village or to use a November comparison Free Birds wouldn't surprise me.

Still that $18M budget will work wonders for SPA. I'm surprised now that they keep their budgets between $50M (like Peter Rabbit and Emoji) to $65M (like HT3), and even have an outsourced one under $20M. SPA can keep having $150M-$250M performers and break even. However given The Star and Underpants sub $40M budget, could WAG's 6/1/18 film be CGI with a budget under $40M due to outsourcing.

For The Star I can see anywhere between $50M-$150M.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still that $18M budget will work wonders for SPA. I'm surprised now that they keep their budgets between $50M (like Peter Rabbit and Emoji) to $65M (like HT3), and even have an outsourced one under $20M. SPA can keep having $150M-$250M performers and break even. However given The Star and Underpants sub $40M budget, could WAG's 6/1/18 film be CGI with a budget under $40M due to outsourcing.

For The Star I can see anywhere between $50M-$150M.

$50m seems believable for Peter Rabbit since it's a hybrid, Imageworks moved to Vancouver so all films made there have tax credits. 

I imagine the WAG film if it's DC Super Hero Girls will be 2D so it's consistent with the upcoming TV series. I doubt The Star will do $150m, it would need a HT 1 and 2 OW for that, $50-75m at most seems more likely.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2015 at 3:31 PM, CJohn said:

The list of dates here is hilarious.  Of the 16 films announced here, only 5 stayed in their dates, and of those 5, I believe 3 of them were moved from previous dates before settling there (Shallows ended up moving back and forth, Resident Evil 6 was originally 2014, and Magnificent Seven was originally a 2017 release).  And this isn't including Passengers, which was in development hell for nearly 10 years.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$50m seems believable for Peter Rabbit since it's a hybrid, Imageworks moved to Vancouver so all films made there have tax credits. 

I imagine the WAG film if it's DC Super Hero Girls will be 2D so it's consistent with the upcoming TV series. I doubt The Star will do $150m, it would need a HT 1 and 2 OW for that, $50-75m at most seems more likely.

That makes sense. A lot of animated film companies are outsourcing their films outside of Disney's units and Blue Sky Studios. 

Agreed but an outsourced Bone or $40M CGI Adventure Time wouldn't surprise me either, but I think DC Super Hero Girls is the obvious and likely choice.

I can see strong legs from The Star if it does an $30M OW (which admittedly is best case scenario) and manages to draw in families and Christians and those of faith.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Oh... I guess I haven't rewatched any of them since Voyage came out so maybe I would see it now

If it makes you feel any better, I learned about that this year.

• Like 1