Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

50 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

My confession. I have not seen Vertigo. My copy is damaged, so never got around to it. 

And speaking of North By Northwest, Cary Grant is a great Hitchcock star. Love him in Suspicion.

Notorious is his best Hitchock film and role and my favorite Hitchcock along with Rear Window

(and Rebecca, North By NorthWest, 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Strangers On A Train ...)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

My confession. I have not seen Vertigo. My copy is damaged, so never got around to it. 

And speaking of North By Northwest, Cary Grant is a great Hitchcock star. Love him in Suspicion.

I know. It's the big one I just haven't been able to. I'm thoroughly ashamed. 

Don't be ashamed. Just watch it as soon as you can. You're in for a great experience. :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Notorious is his best Hitchock film and role and my favorite Hitchcock along with Rear Window

(and Rebecca, North By NorthWest, 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Strangers On A Train ...)

I have not seen Notorious yet either. (It isn't in either of my collections) I have a list of stuff I still need to get around to, 39 Steps, Marnie, Rebecca. Rebecca which isn't apart of the Masterpiece collection, despite being the only Oscar winning film! 

I'll get around to them. May even settle in to watch a few this week since I'm feeling that need this week.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, robertman2 said:

I've seen Birdemic, and they're pretty much the same thing, right?

I would go that far, but yeah if you watch The Birds you will see some resemblance of course, but The Birds is much better regardless.  Unless it doesn't work for you, then it won't matter :P 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 8:03 PM, YourMother said:

Campeau says he has 3 sources that Ben Affleck wants out of playing Batman. 

That would disappoint me.   The idea of Reeves directing and Affleck starring has this as my most anticipated Batman movie ever.   Getting a little antsy that they haven't confirmed Reeves either.   If he turns them down, that could be a bad sign because he has a history of turning down jobs he doesn't feel comfortable with.

On 2/13/2017 at 8:53 PM, RandomJC said:

Agreed.   That's the "scary Cary".   The guy could do everything .....from a goofy nerd (Bringing Up Baby), to a unkempt drunk (Father Goose), to a handsome lover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harpospoke said:

Agreed.   That's the "scary Cary".   The guy could do everything .....

Well, not a British accent. Or at least, that's what I assume he was making sporadic attempts at doing in Gunga Din.

1 hour ago, Orestes said:

Well, not a British accent. Or at least, that's what I assume he was making sporadic attempts at doing in Gunga Din.

Archibald Leach was British.   Born and raised in Bristol to a working class family (and one seriously fucked up horrific childhood)

He re-invented himself as Cary Grant - unique accent included.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Agreed.   That's the "scary Cary".   The guy could do everything .....from a goofy nerd (Bringing Up Baby), to a unkempt drunk (Father Goose), to a handsome lover.

And Arsenic and Old Lace for going insane Cary.

• Like 2

Hm...having just finished. That picture is so apropos.

yeah I thought you would feel that way after seeing the film. :P

but glad you got to finally enjoy it's awesomeness :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 75live said:

yeah I thought you would feel that way after seeing the film. :P

but glad you got to finally enjoy it's awesomeness :) 

Not my favorite, but certainly the latter half is a good pay off for a very slow burn of a first. Ending was just weirdly abrupt. I understand how it works, and of course the narrative point of it. It just happens a bit too fast, and felt like maybe a beat should have followed it.

Because I don't want to spoil a 50 year old movie...

Spoiler

Also Midge's weirdness with the painting then just disappearing from the film just felt off...

11 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Not my favorite, but certainly the latter half is a good pay off for a very slow burn of a first. Ending was just weirdly abrupt. I understand how it works, and of course the narrative point of it. It just happens a bit too fast, and felt like maybe a beat should have followed it.

Because I don't want to spoil a 50 year old movie...

Hide contents

Also Midge's weirdness with the painting then just disappearing from the film just felt off...

yeah I didn't think it would be your #1 or anything, but figured you would like it enough :) 

• Like 1

Just now, 75live said:

yeah I didn't think it would be your #1 or anything, but figured you would like it enough :) 

It's pretty good, I did like it, though was very tired when I watched the first hour, so that might explain my thinking it was slow. I'll give it another watch some point.

Right now I'm deciding between Torn Curtain and Marnie for tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

It's pretty good, I did like it, though was very tired when I watched the first hour, so that might explain my thinking it was slow. I'll give it another watch some point.

Right now I'm deciding between Torn Curtain and Marnie for tonight.

well you are going to watch both, but go for Marnie first.

16 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Connery for night then. Now the question to answer will this movie have more or less uncomfortable attitudes towards women than Goldfinger?

that maybe tough to answer :P 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Archibald Leach was British.   Born and raised in Bristol to a working class family (and one seriously fucked up horrific childhood)

He re-invented himself as Cary Grant - unique accent included.

Still doesn't explain what was going on in Gunga Din, though. He only had an accent for about half the movie. Maybe the half when he used it, he was trying to do a british accent in an american accent.