Neo

Snowpiercer | Now in Theaters and VOD

Radius reveals actual VOD #s :o

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/07/15/snowpiercer-vod-box-office/

based on this weekend’s numbers and the fact that the pic skyrocketed to the No. 1 spot on iTunes and many other digital platforms less than a day after launching

Snowpiercer earning an estimated $1.1 million from VOD this past weekend, nearly twice as much as the $635,000 it earned in theaters. “From a layman’s perspective these numbers are possibly not that interesting,” admits RADiUS-TWC co-president Tom Quinn. “But from an industry perspective, it’s a game changer.”

“That $1.1 million gross is actually worth almost double to me in terms of how it nets out in our bottom line,” says Quinn, who claims that the film’s real-value weekend gross is thus about $2.6 million, enough to land in the box-office top-10.
Also, VOD—with access to 85 million homes—doesn’t have the same drastic theatrical drop-offs from week to week.

Still, a two-week theatrical exclusive is an extremely short window, especially since Snowpiercer opened in only eight theaters and is currently showing at a mere 356 locations. For a movie this buzzy, it’s possible that they’re missing out on some theatrical dollars by making it VOD-available so quickly. “Should we have opened larger [in theaters]?” says Quinn. “Possibly. It’s a fair discussion for us to consider, but I also feel like in some respects we absolutely nailed the timing from our original theatrical launch to our debut on VOD.”

Plus, Quinn teased that they have plans to tie the two platforms together in the next few weeks—with Snowpiercer continuing to expand to about 600 theaters—but he wouldn’t reveal any details on what exactly that meant.

• Like 2

Tiny budget? According to Wikipedia this thing cost 39M.

But I agree, it's a gorgeous looking film.

I meant according to our (US) standards for what to budget for a movie to look and do the things like SNOWPIERCER did. 

Though I wonder how much it would've cost had it been an American production? 

ETA: THOSE VOD NUMBERS. I'm going to watch the hell out of my digital copy again this weekend. (I feel like I need a quality Chris Evans fix in the weeks leading up to CA:TWS digital release!) 

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Can someone describe this

baby eating scene

for me please? It sounds 50 shades of fucked up. Im surprised you people are so nonchalant about it. Like give me graphic detail, dafaq is it?

Edited by Ayy Lmao

baby eating scene

for me please? It sounds 50 shades of fucked up. Im surprised you people are so nonchalant about it. Like give me graphic detail, dafaq is it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry if those are too graphic.

• Like 7

baby eating scene

Nobody is shown eating a baby. It's brought up in a monologue towards the end where Chris' character is describing what it was like trying to survive at the back of the train when they first got onboard

• Like 2

On the other hand, a couple sitting next to me got up and left, almost at the end. I think they thought that the

steaks Willard was frying up

might've been

tasty baby parts.

:rofl:

Everybody knows baby is white meat.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 6

I do agree the film talked about class issues and other themes without becoming preachy (Elysium :ph34r: )

It was a very interesting apocalyptic scenario and world to look into and see.  

The battle in the dark was awesome as well. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

On the other hand, a couple sitting next to me got up and left, almost at the end. I think they thought that the

steaks Willard was frying up

might've been

tasty baby parts.

:rofl:

I actually thought that might have been the case. Leading to some kind of dialogue like "Babies taste better cooked" or something like that.

I wanted the movie to continue for another few minutes 

just to see the Polar bear eat the 2 survivors and finish the human race off.

I seriously thought that was where it was going with the Polar bear.

Edited by grim22

Regarding the polar bear, Bong said

he used it to show life and didn't think of the implication that it would eat the survivors and in hindsight wishes he'd used a reindeer. 

:lol:   I think the polar bear is great though since it leaves you wondering and it's rather poetic justice since they're drowning in the arctic right now as the ice melts due to humans.  Also, after joking that he killed them all he said there might be other people still alive on the train but he couldn't afford to film them coming out so he's hoping some made it. 

• Like 5