Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

On 4/15/2016 at 9:11 AM, Wonka said:

I see this opening around 90.000 adm.

I really wish you are right considering ho bad the box office was in the last 2 weeks. But it's presales are really really weak. It might be because it has an insane amount of shows, but even so. At this point I'm satisfied with anything over 40.000 adm. I just hope it gets there.

Meanwhile, check out the presales for Robinson Crusoe (The Wild Life - It's opening April 29, according to Cinemagia and Cinemacity, but there are showtimes for it starting tomorrow - I thnk they will count as previews). It's insane. It already has a bunch of sellouts and the fact it is an animation makes it even more crazy. I thought that weekend will be awful, but we might see a 30.000+ adm opening for it. In fact, it's presales are way stronger than TJB's on opening day! I don't want to jinx it, especially because Ester is that weekend so on Sunday theaters will be closed, but I think we have a surprise hit coming. It kinda reminds me of The House of Magc back n 2014. That had a small debut (16k adm) but legged it's way to almost 140k.   

Once again Disney breaks the record for the widest release ever, putting The Jungle Book on 189 screens (the previous record was SW7 on 182 screens). TJG opened to a very good 66.531 adm and $385k. No wonder it had no sellouts though. The number of showtimes must've been ridiculous. 

For comparison (in admissions):

Cinderella - 35.588 / 131.929

Maleficent - 57.629 ($364k) / 180.637

Oz: TGAP - 36.869 / 142.304

Alice in Wonderland ($306k) - 41.919 / 222.314

The WOM is good, but the competition up ahead is bigger than any of those titles had. That said, TJB should have good legs and it has an outside shot at beating AiW in admissions. If we talk USD though, Alice's $1.51m is way out of reach. Still, Maleficent's $1.1m should be reachable.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wonka said:

Mediocre weekend, maybe if they start showing more of the original version than the dubb version would be much better, it becomes annoying.

Overall yes, bad weekend. But that is a very good opening for TJB. I wasn't actually expecting it to beat Maleficent. And Disney adaptations always have good legs.

I'm pretty sure a 100.000 adm OW is in the books for Civil War. That would be already the third 100k adm opener this year. It is quite amazing considering in 2013 we only had one, in 2014 we had 2 and last year we had 5. With many huge players still up ahead I imagine 2016 will set a new record.

In other news, CinemaCity just opened the second IMAX screen in the country, in Timisoara, which is the second biggest city for the box office business after Bucharest. They also opened a 4DX theater there. That is great news and Civil War will clearly benefit from it. I think Iasi should be the next one to receive an IMAX screen.

• Like 1

UPDATE: 100.000 adm is sure to happen for Civil War. It's presales are not as good as the ones of Batman v Superman, but Disney will likely put CW on almost double the number of screens, likely setting a new record. Plus, that new cinema in Timisoara is bound to give it a huge boost. It has 17 shows every day there, of which 5 are IMAX 3D and 4 are 4DX. Considering Timisoara always sells at least 60% of the seats in any show, likely even more, that is at roughly 9.000-10.000 adm coming from that theater alone for the weekend. That might be enough to push CW in the BvS/Deadpool 120.000-130.000 adm realm.     

Edited by James
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Quigley said:

So are 100,000+ admission openings quite uncommon in Romania?

Only 11 movies ever opened with more than 100.000 adm of which:

1 in 2012 (the last Twilight)

1 in 2013 (The Hobbit 2)

2 in 2014 (The Hobbit 3, 300: Rise of an Empire)

5 in 2015 (Furious 7, Star Wars 7, Fifty Shades, Minions, Spectre) 

2 in 2016 so far (Batman v Superman, Deadpool) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thunder storm said:

87.100 adm. for Cap. and $0.5M OW. 

$495k to be more precise. Disappointing number. Even if it is the biggest opening ever for Marvel, ahead of Ultron's 70.118 adm (and $385k) debut, it is still a far cry from BvS's 128.687 adm or Deadpool's 118.389 adm OW. And to think until this year no other company's CBM movies ever touched the heights of Disney's. The top 5 highest grossing CBMs were all Marvel movies. Now Fox has the top stop and Warner the second (though BvS has a chance of taking that first place from Deadpool). Suicide Squad might also jump in that top. 

As for CW, with X-Men arriving in 10 days (DOFP had quite a healthy run here), followed by Alice (the first movie made an incredible $1.5m), matching AoU's $1.24m would be great.

In other news, this was an excellent weekend, with huge increases for pretty much everything. The Jungle Book is now the highest grossing Disney live-adaptation ever, crossing the $1.5m border. It is really incredible that Summer hasn't even started yet and we already have three $1.5m+ titles and six 1m+ ones! 

Also, Deadpool, Batman v Superman and The Jungle Book all entered the Top 20 Highest Grossing Movies Ever!

Edited by James
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, James said:

$495k to be more precise. Disappointing number. Even if it is the biggest opening ever for Marvel, ahead of Ultron's 70.118 adm (and $385k) debut, it is still a far cry from BvS's 128.687 adm or Deadpool's 118.389 adm OW. And to think until this year no other company's CBM movies ever touched the heights of Disney's. The top 5 highest grossing CBMs were all Marvel movies. Now Fox has the top stop and Warner the second (though BvS has a chance of taking that first place from Deadpool). Suicide Squad might also jump in that top. 

Expected number if you ask me. Yes, we likes superheroes movies, but I guess Marvel is not strong enough here in Romania like DC Comics. Don't forget one thing: BvS was very good marketed on social media, tv, radio, facebook, etc. That word "vs" was a smart move. And of course, Freeman Entertainment did a great job.  

I can't say the same thing about cineforum. Many people didn't even know Sebastian Stan is The Winter Soldier, or Spider-man will show up. Forget about Ant-Man, Black Widow or Hawkeye. 

• Like 1

Superb 43.270 admissions opening for Angry Birds. We are still waiting for the figure in USD.

Mother's Day debuted with a weak 17.282 and $82k.

Captain America: Civil War maintained it's top position (just in USD; in admissions, Angry Birds beat it), but it's 54% drop is the notably bigger than that of any post-Avengers Marvel movie, with the exception of Iron Man 3, which dropped over 70%, but only because it's second weekend was Easter, and most theaters were closed (it rebounded on it's third outing, increasing more than 40%). That being said, through it's sophomore frame it is still leading all MCU films and still has a chance of becoming the highest grossing one (the title being currently held by Thor: The Dark World with $1.47m) if it survives X-Men this week (and Alice the next one).

And speaking of X-Men, the presales for that look solid enough. The biggest debut for the franchise should/will happen (X-Men: Days of Future Past is the highest opener for the franchise, with 36.550 adm - that is if you exclude Deadpool). I'm estimating an opening around 50.000 adm 

2016 is a great year for the Romanian box office till now.

We already have 6 movies that made more than $1m.

- Deadpool (1.63 m) FOX

- The Jungle Book (1.61 m) DIS

- Batman v Superman (1.59 m) WB

- Dirty Grandpa (1.41 m) LGF

- Zootopia (1.27 m) DIS

- Gods of Egypt (1.12 m) LGF

Captain America: Civil War will join the list this week.

In 2015 we had 10 movies grossing over $1m, while 2014 holds the record with 13.

In 2016, a total of 23 titles have the potential to reach the target. Of those, locked to do it for the rest of the year are Rogue One, Ice Age, Alice 2, Warcraft, Independence Day, Fantastic Beasts. 

The other titles that have a chance of doing it are Inferno, X-Men: Apocalypse, Now You See Me 2, The Legend of Tarzan, Jason Bourne, Suicide Squad, The Secret Life of Pets, Ben Hur, Doctor Strange, Moana.

Edited by James
  • Like 3

WEEKEND BOX-OFFICE

X-Men: Apocalypse debuted with 42.286 adm / 53.023 adm (including previews). That translates into $303k. This is the first time I think that Cinemagia reported the previews separately so that makes predicting it's run a bit difficult. Still, considering it's never been done before, we will count the 53.023 adm as the OW figure. Either way, both numbers are up from Days of Future Past's 36.550 adm OW. If it follows DOFP's run, it will end up with over $1m. DOFP had Maleficent to deal with in it's second outing, while X-Men has Alice 2 so I'd say there's a 50/50 chance for $1m.  

Meanwhile, Bad Neighbors 2 opened under the first one (21.703 adm vs. 26.855 adm).

The Jungle Book became the highest grossing movie of the year, dethroning Deadpool ($1.67m vs $1.63m). Deadpool remains the most attended though (354.875 vs 323.971).

And overall, bad to horrible drops for all holdovers. I'm gonna blame it on the nice whether. 

Edited by James
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, snitch said:

I came across information that WarCraft started selling pretty well in Romania with 2 sell outs in a couple of hours.

I expect a huge debut for Warcraft, maybe even close to 100.000 adm. Only Movieplex has tickets on sale for now and yeah, it is doing really well there. CinemaCity, the biggest cinema chain, with about 65-70% of the market share, doesn't have it yet.

• Like 1

PRESALES UPDATE: I had Alice 2 pegged as one of the biggest hits of the year, but so far the presales for it are rather unimpressive. I really hope they pick up soon. 

In other news, we still have no figures for Bacalaureat, the local title by the well known romanian director Cristian Mungiu. It opened this past weekend and it's selling really well on week days. Local titles are never strong, but this might actually make some decent cash. Apparently the movie did make quite an impression at Cannes.

And the Warcraft presales surpassed 1.000 tickets (probably nearing 1.500), according to my calculations, and that is from the only 2 cinemas in the whole country that currently made tickets available. That is a great number considering the movie doesn't open here for another 3 weeks (June 10). Also, expect that figure to explode once CinemaCity puts the movie up for sale. 

Edited by James

PRESALES UPDATE 2: Warcraft was just added on CinemaCity's presales list and it is already doing great. On top of that, Movieplex keeps adding showtimes for it and even previews a week before the opening. We are looking at a huuuuuuge debut. At the beginning of the year I predicted Warcraft to be one of the biggest hits of the year and it is looking to be just that.

Meanwhile, Alice 2 looks more and more like a flop and that is just shocking considering sequels to big movies NEVER flop here. We will see. Maybe walk-ins will save it. 

• Like 3

Disaster for Alice. By far the worst Disney live-action movie adaptation by far when it comes to OW.

Things also look bleak for TMNT2 and Money Monster opening this weekend.

On the bright side, Warcraft, opening next week, has previews this weekend and it is doing insane business everywhere. I am really really curious how much above 100.000 adm it will go for the OW. Right now it seems sky's the limit. Either way, it is locked to have one of the highest opening weekends ever. 

• Like 1

WEEKEND BOX-OFFICE

This should be the last weak weekend before a three weeks box office storm, starting with Warcraft this next weekend and followed by Now You See Me 2 (the first one was huge here) and Finding Dory and after that Independence Day: Resurgence.

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 took the lead, with 19.049 adm and $96k (vs. 19.614 adm and $128k of the first movies). The first movie was very leggy, but with so much competition up ahead I doubt the sequel will fare so well.

- Money Monster opened in second place with an unimpressive 15.467 adm and $77k.

- X-Men: Apocalypse had a nice drop and reached $681k. It is basically the same as DOFP through the same point in USD, even if it is far ahead in admissions (exchange rate).

- Alice Through the Looking Glass continued it's mediocre run, reaching $225k.

- And Angry Birds rounds up Top 5 after a light 16% drop that took it's gross to a very good $553k (it should close with over $700k).

Next week's openers:

- Warcraft

- Ribbit

After having previews this past weekend, Warcraft finally opens wide on Friday (it also has previews on Wednesday and Thursday). I am really curious if the previews will be rolled into the opening weekend. If that is the case, then we should expect a stratospheric debut. If previews were any indication, then all of Warcraft's opening weekend should be packed with sold out shows. For now I will say it opens to around 110.000 admissions. Better be safe. But at this point, the only thing preventing it to reach even higher is the possible screen count. If it opens wide enough, I see no reason why it can't go even as high as 150.000 adm. 

• Like 5