Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

Tuesday update:

'The Hobbit' showtimes and sellouts skyrocketed today.

The showtimes went from 410 yesterday to 640 today (+230).

The sellouts went from 109 yesterday to 137 today (+28).

As the 19th release date approaches, I expect sellouts to spike even more in the next 2 days (especially because there are a hell lot of shows that need to sell another 4-5 tickets to be completely full).  

Edited by James
  • Like 5

Wednesday update:

If yesterday was insane, today was batshit crazy!

The showtimes went from 640 yesterday to 1050 today (+410!!!)

The sellouts went from 137 yesterday to 152 today (+15).

The number of showtimes given to 'The Hobbit' is insane. Expect huge drops in theatre counts for the holdovers. There are many locations where TH gets a show every hour. The huge number of shows also explains why the jump in sellouts is so low. Still, that should change tomorrow, the last day of presales before the Friday opening.

A big chunk (around 350) of the new  showtimes came from the main theatre chain, that now own 662 of the 1050 shows across the country. That's around 63% of the marketshare, way less than it usually owns (70%+). That only goes to prove that even the small theatre chains give every screen they've got to this movie. 

Also, a few 2D shows started to appear, but they sell poorly, so Romania is a market very fond of 3D. 

Edited by James
  • Like 6

Lol wow. Romania is making me pumped for this film :P

Could it break the OW record? (and what is the OW record?) 

This is my statement from Monday:

Now, a prediction is hard to make. 'The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2' owns the OW record when it comes to admissions (123.163). The OW record in USD belongs to '300: Rise of an Empire' ($691K). Setting a new OW record in USD should happen easily, despite the current exchange rate and I predict 125.000 admissions so the attendance record will fall too. Of course, things could be different, but I think with all the anticipation there's no way to go but up.

The OW money wise will fall for sure, even with the bad exchange rate and I'm more and more positive TH will not only set a new attendence record, but it will shatter BD2's one. It really sucks we don't have a central database like in SK so you can see the exact number of presales, but my guess is they are over 70.000 right now.

Edited by James
  • Like 3

This is my statement from Monday:

The OW money wise will fall for sure, even with the bad exchange rate and I'm more and more sure TH will not just set a new attendence record, but it will shatter BD2's one. It really suck we don't have a central database like in SK so you can see the exact number of presales, but my guess is they are over 70.000 right now.

Sweet :) and it beats that horrible Twilight film too as part of the bargain. 

• Like 2

Thursday update:

The final update before the weekend.

After 2 days of huge increases in showtimes, the number finally stabilized, understandable after all since there are ony so much shows you can give a movie without pushing the other films completely out of the theatres. The showtimes went from 1050 testerday to 1080 today (+30).

The sellouts went from 152 yesterday to 195 today (+43).

**In these numbers are included the Thursday late shows that are playing right at this moment. 

Buying tickets online is generally possible till there's an hour left to the beginning of the show. So from online sales exclusively (read: no walk-ins included) we had a great Thursday night. From the 10 marathons playing today, 9 were sold out and the last one was about 90% full (it sold out for sure with walk-ins).

Also around 90% of the late night shows were sold out and the other 10% was 80-90% full (again, walk-in business should bring the theatres to full capacity).

• Like 4

UPDATE: After 'Exodus' got pulled out of the theatres by the biggest theatre chain to make room for the final Middle-Earth movie, it looks like the same will happen for 'Night at the Museum 3', that was supposed to open here on Dec 26. It is no wonder though, considering 'The Hobbit' has almost all the 3D screens and sells them out at a rapid pace. So now TBotFA has 2 out of the 3 biggest weeks of the year all to itself. In the third biggest week it will face 'Into the Woods' and 'The Seventh Son' (the books are very popular here)... that is if Cinema City doesn't decide to remove them from schedule also.

Meanwhile, 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' is the Christmas event movie this year on Pro TV, the biggest TV channel in the country, taking the usual place of LOTR. 

• Like 1

UPDATE: After 'Exodus' got pulled out of the theatres by the biggest theatre chain to make room for the final Middle-Earth movie, it looks like the same will happen for 'Night at the Museum 3', that was supposed to open here on Dec 26. It is no wonder though, considering 'The Hobbit' has almost all the 3D screens and sells them out at a rapid pace. So now TBotFA has 2 out of the 3 biggest weeks of the year all to itself. In the third biggest week it will face 'Into the Woods' and 'The Seventh Son' (the books are very popular here)... that is if Cinema City doesn't decide to remove them from schedule also.

Meanwhile, 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' is the Christmas event movie this year on Pro TV, the biggest TV channel in the country, taking the usual place of LOTR. 

Amazing. Romania needs more theatres!

:D at Exodus getting pulled. 

Not sure if this has already been answered but quality-wise are the Hobbit series as well received as LoTR here?

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Amazing. Romania needs more theatres!

:D at Exodus getting pulled. 

Not sure if this has already been answered but quality-wise are the Hobbit series as well received as LoTR here?

Well, the grades on the biggest movie site here look like this:

FOTR - 8.9

TTT - 8.7

ROTK - 8.8

AUJ - 8.6

DOS - 8.7

BOTFA - 9.2

So it's kinda the same. BOTFA has a good chance of ending up the best received of the Middle-Earth movies. And TH vastly outsold LOTR in tickets.

FOTR -  191.035

TTT - 128.721

ROTK - 213.500

AUJ - 409.993

DOS - 388.107

AUJ is the first movie in the last 16 years to make over 400.000 adm. BOTFA is sure to beat that.

• Like 1

Well, the grades on the biggest movie site here look like this:

FOTR - 8.9

TTT - 8.7

ROTK - 8.8

AUJ - 8.6

DOS - 8.7

BOTFA - 9.2

So it's kinda the same. BOTFA has a good chance of ending up the best received of the Middle-Earth movies. And TH vastly outsold LOTR in tickets.

FOTR -  191.035

TTT - 128.721

ROTK - 213.500

AUJ - 409.993

DOS - 388.107

AUJ is the first movie in the last 16 years to make over 400.000 adm. BOTFA is sure to beat that.

Yeah but I'm guessing the box office is much bigger now than when the LoTR series was released as is the case with most international markets. 

Wait Avatar didn't make it to 400,000 admissions?

Edited by Rsyu

Yeah but I'm guessing the box office is much bigger now than when the LoTR series was released as is the case with most international markets. 

Wait Avatar didn't make it to 400,000 admissions?

Yeah, Avatar too. Actually, it's a bit tricky. The level of admissions for the big movies kinda stayed the same. Baiscally, big movies do over 200.000 adm, like back in the 2000s, but lower than 300.000. What really boomed is the medium sized portion of the BO, that was pretty much zero in the past. Today, most "hit movies" end up in that region (150.000-200.000 adm).

I mean, look at this year: '300 2', Noah, Lucy - all are in the 200.000+ adm area. Interstellar will likely make 300.000+ in the end.

Back in 2002, the biggest movies - 'The Mummy Returns' and 'Scary Movie 2' also made 200.000+ adm. 

Nowadays we can have more 200.000+ adm movies, but it's still extremly hard to go beyond that. That's why movies like TH, Ice Age, POTC or Interstellar are so exceptional.

Edited by James
  • Like 2