Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

Hey James, could you tell me how big is Cinema City in Romania. I remember that they had a huge expansions planned for this market but I'm not sure if they opened all those multiplex cinemas. They wanted Romania to become their second biggest market after Poland if I remember correctly.

Well, it is big. It owns about 70-75% of the marketplace.  :) It has theatres is almost every major city.

Imitation Game, American Sniper and Unbroken were far bigger over here. Wild Card and Blackhat did half of that on OW here, tho. Mortdecai did here in 7 days what it did in Romania in 3 days.

Sniper sold 54000 tickets in the first 4 days over here (IG and Unbroken both sold 32000 tickets each on their respective OWs). 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Great overall weekend, way up from the last year, and that thanks to the newcomers: Jupiter Ascending and SpongeBob.

- Jupiter Ascending made a splash and debuted with a huge 49.358 admissions and $272K. That is way above nearly all comparable titles: 'Transcendence' (39.718), 'Oblivion' (38.709), 'Edge of Tomorrow' (37.926), 'Elysium' (37.453), 'Guardians of the Galaxy' (35.202) 'Pacific Rim' (29.173). In fact, it's the third biggest opening weekend for an original SF movie ever, behind 'Avatar' (67.200) and 'Interstellar' (58.492)!

The great debut can be attributed to a series of factors: first of all, good trailers - everytime I've seen one for it in theatres it got great reactions. Second - good to very good reviews.

And third - it's a SF movie sold as a huge action spectacle. IMAX was sold out for it all weekend.

The WOM seems to be good (currently 8/10 on the biggest movie site here) and if it manages to survive '50 Shades' next weekend it will hold well through the rest of the month. It actually has a decent shot at $1M and a place in the year's Top 10.

- In second, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water opened to a good 35.300 adm and $177K. It's well above what I thought it will do, which means the smaller theatre chains really support it, because CinemaCity pretty much abandoned it (it only had 2-3 shows/day in most locations). With no competition till 'Shaun the Sheep' on Feb 27, it should have good holds and end up with a very good gross. I'm thinking north of $600K.

- The Wedding Ringer was off 45% and reached $241K. Ok for it.

- The Imitation Game had a nice hold (-39%) and now stands at $186K (so-so).

- Wild Card collapsed (-63%). Still, it made $194K which is ok-ish.

- Big Hero 6 fell 49% this weekend. That is not a good drop for an animation. Total: $420K. At least it will go past $500K but not by much. Very very frontloaded.

- American Sniper was down 53%. Cume is at a very nice $358K.

- Mortdecai (-51%) is now at a good $340K. 

- Yellowbird crashlanded in it's second outing (-51%).

- Boyhood closes the top, debuting with a weak 3.076 adm and $15K.

- Outside Top 10, Whiplash bombed with 2.520 tickets sold.

Top 10

H8bkdB4.jpg

Next week's openers:

- 50 Shades of Grey

- Kingsman: The Secret Service

- Wish I Was Here

- Stockholm

And we are finally here! '50 Shades' will be HUGE. That is not even a question. But how huge? Well, that's hard to answer. Presales started at a record breaking pace last weekend, but now they seem to have slowed down quite a bit. Unfortunately, I didin't have the time to follow the sellouts closely (damn exams!), but there are a lot of them. I would say this is locked to open above 100.000 admissions. Let's say 110.000-115.000. It's better to keep my expectations in check, especially since I don't have a clear picture of the release. Either way, anticipation is huge. 

'Kingsman'... I don't know. The marketing for it is nothing to write home about and opening against '50 Shades', even as a couterprogramming, seems like a bad idea. Maybe 20.000 adm?

The other two releases under 10.000.

• Like 4

Wow, you bought how many tickets? :lol:

What's the last numbers & adm for MJ there?

:lol: I actually haven't seen it yet  :(

THG franchise here:

HG - 106.851 admissions ($515K) 

CF - 158.477 admissions ($855K)

MJ - 173.597 admissions ($842K - final; bad exchange rates))

• Like 1

Do you have Divergent, Twilight & Maze Runner numbers also?

Sure:

Twilight - 61.315 adm ($270K) 

New Moon - 140.542 adm ($756K) 

Eclipse - 144.741 adm ($667K)

BD Part 1 - 214.235 adm ($1.03M)

BD Part 2 - 299.022 ($1.38M) 

Divergent - 102.214 adm ($542K)

The Maze Runner - 121.838 adm ($618K)  

• Like 3

Thanks! I hope MJ2 can beat BD2 numbers.

It won't. In admissions it has about 1% chance to do it and in gross it has no chance whatsoever. The exchange rates alone will make sure of that. It would be great if MJ2 would make BD 1 numbers.

Edited by James

Cinema City also exists over here, but NOS dominates the market quite easily (it is a local company). The have by far the biggest TC and are also the biggest distributor (they release the movies of Disney, Paramount, Universal, MGM and Warner Bros, and some independent movies), while Big Pictures releases the movies of FOX and Sony. And we have Pris that only releases independent movies (stuff like The Hunger Games Saga, The Divergent Series, Mortdecai, Dumb and Dumber To and Transcendence was released by them). 

• Like 1

Cinema City also exists over here, but NOS dominates the market quite easily (it is a local company). The have by far the biggest TC and are also the biggest distributor (they release the movies of Disney, Paramount, Universal, MGM and Warner Bros, and some independent movies), while Big Pictures releases the movies of FOX and Sony. And we have Pris that only releases independent movies (stuff like The Hunger Games Saga, The Divergent Series, Mortdecai, Dumb and Dumber To and Transcendence was released by them). 

That is an interesting system. Here every theatre chain releases pretty much everything, except for the really small movies, that are only released by CinemaCity.

Cinema City is in Portugal? That Cinema City that merged with CineWorld last year? I don't remember any info about Cinema City having cinemas in Portugal from their financial reports.

Can Kingsman do more than 150K on opening weekend?

I would think that Europe its going to be the biggest market as a whole.

For it to do that it would require over 30.000 adm I think. It's not impossible, but I doubt it'll go that high with 50 Shades opening. We'll see, haven't really followed it's presales.

• Like 1

Ok. I think I'll raise my prediction for 50 Shades from 110.000-150.000 adm to 130.000+. There are just sooo many showtimes and sellouts for this. CinemaCity did not give it any extra shows yet. If they do I'm thinking this will have no problems breaking The Hobbit's OW record.

• Like 1

UPDATE: '50 Shades' is locked to have the highest OW ever: from 17:00 onwards alone it has over 170 sold out shows and that's only what I've checked out. I'm pretty sure it sold out at least 300 shows today. Basically, from the hundreads of shows I checked less than 10 were not sold out (they were 70% full at least).

• Like 1

Niiice. Do you work in the industry or where did you take the number from? Cinemagia still doesn't have it.

mi-as fi dorit eu  :) .

I took the number from procinema - http://procinema.ro/stiri/fifty-shades-of-grey-cel-mai-bine-primit-film-non-3d-lansat-vreodata-in-romania-cati-romani-au-urmarit-1.html

But I see it's a little difference between procinema numbers and cinemagia numbers. According to cinemagia Fifty Shades of Grey has recorded 145.702 adm. 

• Like 1