Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

And It's a good total? Where is in the YEC?

Generally speaking, it's a good number a movie, but for a series as popular (the books are mega-sellers here) as this it's disappointing. Especially when you have movies like The Hobbit, that already made almost $2.8M or 300:Rise of an Empire' that made 2x more than it. It's number 19 for 2014. I will probably end up on 18th when all said and done.

Maybe MJ2 will make 1M. It has a better chance than CF and MJ1 since it wont have any mammoth like TH to contend with. SW wont be as big.

• Like 1

Generally speaking, it's a good number a movie, but for a series as popular (the books are mega-sellers here) as this it's disappointing. Especially when you have movies like The Hobbit, that already made almost $2.8M or 300:Rise of an Empire' that made 2x more than it. It's number 19 for 2014. I will probably end up on 18th when all said and done.

Maybe MJ2 will make 1M. It has a better chance than CF and MJ1 since it wont have any mammoth like TH to contend with. SW wont be as big.

#18 is dissapointed :s thanks!

Weekend update:

Nice weekend ahead.

Thanks to a strong TV marketing campaign, 'Blackhat' is doing some impressive job at selling out shows. From a presales POV it looks almost as strong as 'Taken' last weekend. Unfortunately, it has fewer shows. Still, I'm starting to think 40.000+ adm OW will happen.

'The Water Diviner' is doing amazing in limited release. It has only 2-3 shows/day in most locations, but even so, it looks like having a nice chance at ending up with over 20.000 adm for the weekend.

'Big Hero 6' doesn't offically open here till next week, but it has so many preview shows this weekend you can basically say it already opened. Of course, the entire week of previews will be included in it's OW (so, basically, a 10 day OW :lol: ). If it fails to open to at least 50.000 adm next weekend (which would be less than 'The Penguins of Madagascar' made in just 3 days), it should be considered a major disappointment.

Tickets for 'Unbroken' are also selling well. It's having preview shows starting with Wednesday and it should have a good opening next week.

Surprisingly, no more shows were added for 'Mortdecai', depite the fact that the only one it has sold out in a matter of minutes. Maybe they will try a limited release? It remains to be seen.

And finally, the anticipation for '50 Shades' is sky-high. It has much more votes on the offical site of the biggest theatre chain than 'The Hobbit': The Battle of the Five Armies' had before it's OW (and '50 Shades' is 3 weeks away!!). Starting to think it might have a chance at breaking 100.000 admissions.

• Like 5

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

I lack the time to make the usual complete analysis, so here's the chart:

UukQrbp.jpg

Disappointing debuts from Blackhat (21.465 adm and $109K), The Water Diviner (11.797 tickets and $60K) and Birdman (7.720 adm and $39K). I don't really understand what happened. They has full shows all weekend. However, I followed just the main theatre chain, but even so... Either way, considering competition up ahead, they will likely fade fast.

Taken 3 had a strong hold (-49%) and it lead again. It has much better WOM than the previous movie. Total stands at $734K and $1M is locked.

Most of the Top 10 movies had very good drops, except from The Hobbit (-50%). It is probably losing screen like crazy. Still, total stands at an impressive $2.84M and it passed the 500.000 admissions border (507.311).

Next week's openers:

- Unbroken

- Mortdecai

- Big Hero 6

- Mommy

'Unbroken' looks to be doing pretty good in presales, so maybe a 30.000 adm opening. Maybe even a bit more.

'Mortdecai' still didn't add any shows after the sold out one it has in Bucharest. I don't get it.

As for 'Big Hero 6', the main theatre chain is pushing it even harder than it pushed 'The Hobbit', which is crazy. I also see a lot of TV spots. It started having previews since this past Friday. Actually, it had so many shows it was more of a medium sized release than previews. Considering everything will be combined in it's OW, if it fails to touch 50.000 adm (in 10 days) it should be considered a major disappointment.

'Mommy' will likely flop.

• Like 5

Release update: 

'American Sniper' was just pushed a week earlier and it will too open this weekend. So we have 'American Sniper', 'Unbroken', 'Mortdecai' this weekend, followed by 'The Imitation Game', 'The Wedding Ringer', 'Wild Card' next weekend, battling for basically the same audience.

We also have 'Big Hero 6' this weekend, followed by 'Yellowbird' (cute animals animation; and after what 'The House of Magic' did last year I won't underestimate the power of cute animals again :lol: ) next week, followed by 'Spongebob' a week after. 

It's a clusterfuck.

• Like 1

Release update: 

'American Sniper' was just pushed a week earlier and it will too open this weekend. So we have 'American Sniper', 'Unbroken', 'Mortdecai' this weekend, followed by 'The Imitation Game', 'The Wedding Ringer', 'Wild Card' next weekend, battling for basically the same audience.

We also have 'Big Hero 6' this weekend, followed by 'Yellowbird' (cute animals animation; and after what 'The House of Magic' did last year I won't underestimate the power of cute animals again :lol: ) next week, followed by 'Spongebob' a week after. 

It's a clusterfuck.

Good. I like clusterfuck.

• Like 1

But their numbers are so off. They say the source is Cinemagia, but when you look at Cinemagia, 300 made $1.7M+, Interstellar is at $1.6M+ and the yearly BO is way above that. Like WAY above. And yeah, TH3 is the highest grossing movie in the last 5 years, but only because 5 years ago Avatar got released. It is also the second highest grossing movie ever.

They likely used this article from Cinemagia:

http://www.cinemagia.ro/stiri/box-office-romania-2014-peste-10-milioane-de-bilete-vandute-27417/

All the datas there are in Euro/RON. Romanian BO made 41.9M euros this year and Hollywood Reporter just converted that into USD using the current exchange rate. But you can't do that. The exchange rate was MUCH better in the spring, summer and most of the fall. They did the same for the BO of those movies.

The yearly BO is at $55.4M.

Edited by James
  • Like 5

But their numbers are so off. They say the source is Cinemagia, but when you look at Cinemagia, 300 made $1.7M+, Interstellar is at $1.6M+ and the yearly BO is way above that. Like WAY above. And yeah, TH3 is the highest grossing movie in the last 5 years, but only because 5 years ago Avatar got released. It is also the second highest grossing movie ever.

They likely used this article from Cinemagia:

http://www.cinemagia.ro/stiri/box-office-romania-2014-peste-10-milioane-de-bilete-vandute-27417/

All the datas there are in Euro/RON. Romanian BO made 41.9M euros this year and Hollywood Reporter just converted that into USD using the current exchange rate. But you can't do that. The exchange rate was MUCH better in the spring, summer and most of the fall. They did the same for the BO of those movies.

The yearly BO is at $55.4M.

That's even better! Awesome! ;)

• Like 1

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Great overall weekend, but that's thanks to the big number of openers.

- Big Hero 6 debuted on top with 45.184 admissions and $230K. That would usually be a very good start for an animation, but there are some factors that weight in here. First of all, this is NOT a typical 3 day opening. 'Big Hero' had previews since the beginning of the last weekend. And 'previews' might be the wrong word since it had so many shows I initially thought I got the release date wrong. So we have a 10 day opening and in that context, the OW is not that great (as a comparison, 'The Penguins of Madagascar' made 54.156 adm in just 3 days). 

The number becomes even less impressive when you conider 'Big Hero 6' has THE WIDEST RELEASE for any movie ever, by far, on 108 screens!! The previous record was held by 'The Hobbit 2 and 3 with 99 screens.

And of course, there's the marketing campaign. I've never seen so much marketing for a movie. Ever. Countless spots on TV, banners, subway posters and of course, there was the fact that the main theatre chain's site was a 'Big Hero' dedicated fanpage :lol: Besically you couldn't buy any tickets without watching a BH6 trailer and there were ads popping up for it on every page.

All in all, it's a decent opening at best and considering BH6 made that in 10 days and it will have animated competition in the next two weekends, expect for it to fade fast. The WOM seems good, like it is for any Disney animation, but that doesn't stop the movies from bombing. In the last years, the only Disney/Pixar animations that had some succes were the princess movies ('Tangled', 'Brave', 'Frozen'). So in that context, 'Big Hero 6' is actually above expectations.

- In second, Mortdecai started with a strong 31.586 admissions and $150K. That is great considering that, aside from a few last day TV spots I haven't seen promotion for it. But it is not surprising. Johnny Depp is probably one of the most reliable draws around and especially the under 25 crowd (which is the main audience for movies here) seems to love him. The number is about on par with 'Horrible Bosses 2' a few months back, which means 'Mortdecai' will likely end above $500K, an excellent result for it.

- American Sniper debuted with 27.407 admissions and $138K. That is a nice number for it and the WOM seems strong (as is the controversy). 

- In face of heavy competition, Taken 3 fell 63%. Still, total stands at a strong $866K and $1M will happen.

- Unbroken failed to impress with a weak 12.931 admissions and $61K,

- Seventh Son and The Hobbit both had good drops. Totals are $753K and $2.9M.

- Blackhat, The Water Diviner and Birdman all dropped ugly.

- Mommy debuted outside Top 10 with a middling 1.707 adm from 10 screens.

Top 10

zTkDxkm.jpg

Next week's openers:

- The Imitation Game

- The Wedding Ringer

- Wild Card

- Yellowbird (animation)

I could be wrong, but I see all titles opening above 10.000 admissions.

• Like 7

50 SHADES update:

INSANITY. That's the only way to describe it. Tickets for 50 Shades went on sale for Bucharest alone through the main theatre chain a few hors ago. The first 7 days are sold out!! Like every single show. That means 76 normal shows and 33 VIP very expensive ones.

That is an incredible total of 109 sold out shows in just a couple of hours!! I repeat, that is only for Bucharest and only through the main theatre chain. 'The Hobbit 3', that holds the record for biggest OW and biggest presales didn't even come close to that! If this continues, '50 Shades' will SMASH IT easily.  

• Like 3

It's kind of awesome, but why why why, the hobbit should be the best :(

:D

I know. It's not amazing, it's freaking unbelivable. 'The Hobbit 3's final number of sellouts before the opening day was 195. '50 Shades' has 109 two weeks in advance and after only a couple of hours. And most importantly, that's only for Bucharest. The Hobbit had 195 in the entire country. If it is given enough shows, I'm thinking 50 Shades breaks 200.000 adm OW easily. As of now, it is locked to be the biggest movie of the year.

• Like 1

booo! BoTFA should be #1 inded!

lmao poor PJ! he didnt know he had to add baginshield slash pron to BotFA to get more $$$! :stretcher: Trannies 4 would have gone down!  :D

Haha, well, I highly doubt it will reach BotFA's total, in admissions or gross, even if it opens higher. The Hobbit movies have all had very good/great legs.

• Like 1

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Solid overall weekend, up from last year.

- The Wedding Ringer placed first among the 4 openers this weekend with 24.311 admissions and $119K. That is the weekest no. 1 we had in quite a while, but even so, that doesn't take from the fact this movie overperformed. I expected it to barely make 10.000 adm. Still, with a crowded schedule up ahead, it's long term prostepcts are not that bright.

- Wild Card also opened above expectations, with 21.889 adm and $111K. The Jason Statham vehicle will likely fade fast though. WOM doesn't seem too good for it.

- The Imitation Game debuted with 17.299 tickets and $88K. That is pretty much the same with 'Gone Girl' last year, but 'Gone Girl' had great legs. It remains to be seen if this does too.

- American Sniper held well (-41%). It now stands at $279K and it looks to finish with at least $450K.

- Big Hero 6 crashed and burned in it's second outing (-67%), despite the huge number of screens it is on (94). That is an ugly drop for an ordinary movie, but for an animation it's just horrendous. Total is a middling $334K and with 'Spongebob' opening next weekend and 'Jupiter Ascending' taking away it's IMAX screens, look for another bad drop. At this point, I doubt it can even hit $500K. 

- Mortdecai slides 54% and reaches $265K. Considering the openers, that is an ok drop. In fact, it's in the same ballpark as 'Horrible Bosses 2' last year. Unfortunately, the exchange rates are quite worse now and I doubt 'Mortdecai' can make $500K in the and.

- Yellowbird opened with a weak 12.200 admissions (and $54K). It should do a bit over $150K when all said and done.

- Taken 3 was down 67%. Still, total stands at a very good $912K.

- Seventh Son eased 46% and reached a very nice $789K after 5 weekends.

- Unbroken collapses in it's second outing (-68%).

Top 10

zYqqsoR.jpg

Next week's openers:

- Jupiter Ascending

- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

- Boyhood

- Whiplash

- Le meraviglie

Regarding 'Jupiter Ascending', it's good to look at similar titles' openings: 'Transcendence' (39.718 adm), 'Edge of Tomorrow' (37.926 adm), 'Elysium' (37.453 adm), 'Pacific Rim (29.173 adm), 'Interstellar' (58.492 adm). 'Jupiter Ascending' is the first event movie action spectacle of the year and presales for it look encouraging. I expect an opening in the 40.000 adm area (either a bit below or a bit above it).

'Spongebob' - I don't really know what to expect. Maybe 25.000ish adm? Something like that.

'Boyhood' and 'Whiplash' would both be in good shape over 10.000 adm.

• Like 4

Hey James, could you tell me how big is Cinema City in Romania. I remember that they had a huge expansions planned for this market but I'm not sure if they opened all those multiplex cinemas. They wanted Romania to become their second biggest market after Poland if I remember correctly.

• Like 1