WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

15 minutes ago, AJG said:

I should have known Hunger Games had such a weak fanbase. 

I imagine it'll turn into another Twilight. Something that was quite popular at one point but never to be seen or heard off again.

Pray for Josh Hutcherson's career, he ain't got shit after this. Baby Thor will probably end up playing a younger Thor in flashbacks for whatever Thor movie is next.

lol no. thg has set way too many records to be forgotten, and Katniss is extremely iconic. Especially compared to Bella. Tbh I don't imagine any other YA franchise making the numbers of the big 3 (HP, Twilight, and THG).

I also find it funny how Twilight is supposedly "never to be seen or heard of again" but here we are talking about it. As bad as the films may be, Twilight broke records too, and is still pretty much beloved by a few people. 

24 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Sooo...what's gonna happen to Lionsgate after losing their only massively successful franchise?

Hopefully they'll get their act together and stop making movies like Last Witch Hunter.`

13 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

As bad as the films may be, Twilight broke records too, and is still pretty much beloved by a few people. 

I think the first two films are the only ones that are really remembered today, the first one because it started the series (the first movie in a big series is almost always the most remembered no matter how good it is compared to later installments - I think Deathly Hallows 2 might be the only exception, maybe Furious 7 will too) and the second one due to all the "Team Edward vs. Team Jacob" marketing.

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hopefully they'll get their act together and stop making movies like Last Witch Hunter.`

You can say that for every studio, though Lionsgate is probably the worst at this.

How many Lionsgate movies are still well remembered today in their 18 years of existence? Other than THG and Twilight there's American Psycho, Saw, Crash, Crank, the first Expendables, Cabin in the Woods...I think that's it.

Edited by department store basement

3 hours ago, The Good Olive said:

The projected three-day worldwide cume is $251M. Of that, Lionsgate is eyeing a $149M offshore haul — better than Catching Fire‘s $146M, but down fromMockingjay – Part 1‘s $154.3M opening last year. 

http://deadline.com/2015/11/mockingjay-part-2-international-box-office-results-1201633323/

25M less than MJ1 WW opening  and MJ1 didn't have China。。

700M WW is dead:ph34r:

MJ2 may end up being the lowest grossing movie of the franchise WW despite the addition of 3D. 

Did MJ1 poison the well that badly?

40 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Sooo...what's gonna happen to Lionsgate after losing their only massively successful franchise?

They'll go back to the little leagues. It was nice while it lasted. I hope they fired whoever greenlite Gods of Egypt and The Last Witch Hunter--talk about throwing money down the drain.

24 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

lol no. thg has set way too many records to be forgotten, and Katniss is extremely iconic. Especially compared to Bella. Tbh I don't imagine any other YA franchise making the numbers of the big 3 (HP, Twilight, and THG).

I also find it funny how Twilight is supposedly "never to be seen or heard of again" but here we are talking about it. As bad as the films may be, Twilight broke records too, and is still pretty much beloved by a few people. 

Disagree, just because there's nothing interesting right now. Doesn't mean that it's going to be like that forever.

50 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

Agree and Twilight still sort of lives with 50 Shades of Grey

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

250-260m dom incoming.

Sub 100m OW.

Sub 600m WW.

Good luck to Lionsgate s CEO with his next shareholder's meeting trying explaining those figures.

MJ1 did 30M in only Friday numbers, 2 years ago Catching Fire did 25.25M in previews alone. This series really fell hard in the past 2 years, the split worked out financially but caused the franchise which was Lionsgate's marquee franchise to go out on a pretty low note.

I'm guessing we get an estimate of just over 100M for tomorrow, and we don't get actuals till 1:30pm pacific on Monday i.e. just after the markets close.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

what makes MJ2's reported overseas performance even worse is that it added 3D. Yet is is apparently still decreasing in even gross.

Cjohn is right, imposing 3d to OS audiences in the last movie of a franchise that never had 3D is a terrible le calculation on Lionsgate' s part.

THG has a rather dark premise. No matter how bleak Potter got there was always a sense of wonder that THG could never have. The grimness can be taxing on some.  It just doesn't lend itself to fan loyalty like the HP series did. Still, even if this makes 250/700, that would mean each and every installment exceeded the expectations of the first film(which was around Twilight, not HP). That in itself is an amazing accomplishment.