WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

18 minutes ago, Frozen said:

What would you guys have changed from the books to make it more likeable?

Transforming Katniss into a Wonder woman badass that destroys the entire capitol by herself in her red suit.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

Look at it this way, the mockingjay movies together will do about $600m domestic and $800m overseas on a combined $280m million budget. Solid stolid

^^this 

Even with both underperforming, they'll still make a lot more than what a single Mockingjay film would have done 

15 minutes ago, department store basement said:

grey ghost, there's only and will be only 2 big superhero brands, Marvel and DC.

There's a reason the two jointly hold a trademark on the name "superhero".

I was just pointing out how robust the genre was.

They have a lot of franchises around the same size as Hunger Games.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

What I was trying to say was that Spiderman, Cap etc will be still seen as "Marvel" and Batman, Superman etc will be seen as "DC". THG isn't part of a larger franchise.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Franchises that had two movies that have sold more than 50m tickets un America are pretty rare, I researched this and I think there are around 8.

13 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

^^this 

Even with both underperforming, they'll still make a lot more than what a single Mockingjay film would have done 

Which is fine but with a single movie, it would have gone out with a bang like ROTK instead it's going out with a whimper. Money wise smart move but legacy wise no. 

11 minutes ago, department store basement said:

What I was trying to say was that Spiderman, Cap etc will be still seen as "Marvel" and Batman, Superman etc will be seen as "DC". THG isn't part of a larger franchise.

To some people there all random superhero movies. To the slightly better informed they fall under Marvel and DC. Then the box office nerds know the distinction between Sony, Fox, MCU/Disney and WB superhero movies.

My point is that superheroes is the strongest genre with so many 500+ m franchises. Way more than any other.

33 minutes ago, The Futurist said:
51 minutes ago, Frozen said:

What would you guys have changed from the books to make it more likeable?

Transforming Katniss into a Wonder woman badass that destroys the entire capitol by herself in her red suit.

don't quit your day job

38 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

Look at it this way, the mockingjay movies together will do about $600m domestic and $800m overseas on a combined $280m million budget. Solid stolid

Yes but I think one movie with a longer release gap between CF and the proper marketing could have done $1.1b or so WW on like a $150m budget. So as I said earlier they probably made like maybe an extra $50-100m in the end. Was that really worth it? I guess so if they really just care about any extra profit, but you could make the argument one film would've been a smarter move for their own rep and image. And then again, I  may not have ever liked it as one film as much as I liked MJ2 so I can't personally be upset at them for the split in the end. I do think though that it shows how this finale split is NOT always the easy right choice. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Bummed about The Night Before not breaking out more. Marketing just wasn't there, and I'm feeling like these bro comedies have lost traction of late in favor of the lady-led R-rated movies. 

This is the first year where I'm personally seeing the downfall of movie theaters, not just in so many good movies underperforming, but in how many times I've seen a movie in a theater that was less than packed, and on opening weekend no less. 

Edited by tonytr87