Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Les Mis is not even Oscar bait a this point, it's Oscar's whoring.

If Les Miserables the film hits the same quality as the stage musical then there is no whoring, there is only "HOLYSHITITISTHATGOOD!"Seriously, this film if pulled off will be strong in quality, and that's not whoring. That's being a fucking good movie that deserves some form of recognition.
  • Like 4

I think maybe people here are underestimating Silver Linings Playbook. Guarantee that's the movie that Harvey pushes the most in awards season, since it seems like much more of a crowd pleaser that The Master.

I don't think it'll come close to winning, the other two recent TIFF winners won because they were the ONLY crowd pleasers that were in contention. SLP needs for Les Mis, and Lincoln to fail big time to win, because those two are guaranteed huge crowd pleasers if they succeed. Especially Les Mis, which I'm confident it will.I'm thinking right now:1. Les Miserables2. Lincoln3. Argo (It'll be between these the top 3 for the win I think)4. The Master5. Silver Linings Playbook6. Beasts of the Southern Wild7. Amour (By Virtue of the 1% rule)8. Life of Pi (I'm not confident in this not tanking though)9. Zero Dark Thirty10. Some Crowd Pleaser (Exotic Marigold Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom, or Quartet) or Some really inaccessible movie (a la Tree of Life last year) Edited by riczhang

I don't think SLP needs those other movies to fail, I just think it needs to be better than them. Which could easily happen. People are going crazy for this movie, which also has the virtue of being a Weinstein picture. I'm not saying it's definitely going to win but it needs to be considered as a very strong contender for the win.

I don't think SLP needs those other movies to fail, I just think it needs to be better than them. Which could easily happen. People are going crazy for this movie, which also has the virtue of being a Weinstein picture. I'm not saying it's definitely going to win but it needs to be considered as a very strong contender for the win.

SLP needs to the others to fail to get the exposure it needs to win. Because, if Les Mis, and Lincoln are really as good as they seem, then with the reviews, and the nostalgia factor Academy members will have them way higher on their to watch list than some little film called SLP. The Average 60+ year old While male academy member really only watches a few screeners a year, and SLP needs to be watched by nearly everyone to get that win, and if a bigger crowdpleaser like Les Mis and Lincoln come along, then SLP probably won't be watched by everyone. Enough will watch it or vote for it blindly to get a nomination, but a win would be out of the question.

I think Lincoln is headed the same way as War Horse, probably won't be a critics favorite and every Best Picture winner since The Departed has a RT score up in the 90s. Not sure if Lincoln can pull it off. It looks like too much of a cheesy Oscar wank film. Les Miserables really could go either way. And if anyone's got enough power to make sure Academy members see his movie it's Harvey.

After that trailer, Lincoln looks to be another War Horse. I'm really seeing only best actor as its main nomination. As for Les Mis...I'm kind of on the fence at the moment.

I actually thought Lincoln looked pretty good, and I'm fairly sure regardless of quality it'll get nominated, kinda like War Horse. Les Mis, I'm pretty sure it'll be good, they've done some rough cut screenings without the whole orchestra done, and it's gone down very well. Though I probably shouldn't trust everything Nikki says. Every time I see that teaser trailer, I can see Hathaway walking on stage and collecting that Supporting Actress oscar, it's honestly maddening. But, then I see Les Mis, and Hooper winning again, and everything fine again. :P:lol:

I actually thought Lincoln looked pretty good, and I'm fairly sure regardless of quality it'll get nominated, kinda like War Horse. Les Mis, I'm pretty sure it'll be good, they've done some rough cut screenings without the whole orchestra done, and it's gone down very well. Though I probably shouldn't trust everything Nikki says. Every time I see that teaser trailer, I can see Hathaway walking on stage and collecting that Supporting Actress oscar, it's honestly maddening. But, then I see Les Mis, and Hooper winning again, and everything fine again. :P:lol:

I do get chills every time I see the trailer, so that's a good sign. I'm sure she'll win the Oscar.

I do get chills every time I see the trailer, so that's a good sign. I'm sure she'll win the Oscar.

I'm sure she will too, but I hate her, so it's driving me crazy, especially cus I love everyone else involved with the movie with the only exception of her and Cohen. She's been getting less annoying recently, and she almost made me like her during TDKR press, so maybe I won't hate her by the time the oscars come along. :P

Agreed. Mainly because that category looks thin as shit right now. I've wanted to do predictions but I've really struggled to come up with five names.

Definitely, I have Judi Dench for Exotic Marigold Hotel up at #3 I think, that's how dead that category is.