Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

BP Nominee Predicts (based on chance of winning):Based on AFI Top 10 list.10 the least, 1 the most.10. Beasts Of The Southern Wild9. Django Unchained8. Moonrise Kingdom7. Life Of Pi6. Silver Linings Playbook5. The Dark Knight Rises4. Zero Dark Thirty3. Les Miserables2. Lincoln1. Argo

BP Nominee Predicts (based on chance of winning):Based on AFI Top 10 list.10 the least, 1 the most.10. Beasts Of The Southern Wild9. Django Unchained8. Moonrise Kingdom7. Life Of Pi6. Silver Linings Playbook5. The Dark Knight Rises4. Zero Dark Thirty3. Les Miserables2. Lincoln1. Argo

TDKR ahead of SLP and Pi because of the AFI list of all things? Jeez.

Thankfully, TDKR has no chance at getting nominated. It's not a case of a film being snubbed, it just isn't good enough.

It isn't good enough? How?You sound like the 60 year-old men in the Academy. The difference between "quality entertainment" and "exciting entertainment" needs to be closed.Like say from last year, The Artist may have had great acting and great direction, but to general audiences it was tremendously boring.From this year, The Dark Knight Rises may not have been the most realistic film, but at least almost everybody who saw it liked it. That is, the other few who didn't are cinephiles who just look for the good acting in their, instead of actually enjoying the film.This year is honestly turning out better...Argo was both quality and exciting entertainment. Same with Silver Linings Playbook and Django Unchained. Maybe not so much Lincoln, but I guess half the U.S. population enjoyed it.I'd like to see Skyfall get nominated for BP too. If I had to take one movie off of my top 10 list, it would be Beasts. I only put it on there because it (somehow) appeared on the AFI Top 10 list. Honestly, that movie was polarizing in my mind. Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1

Beasts seems vulnerable...I think Skyfall could take that spot.And yes, TDKR will be nominated. People are pressuring the Academy to :P

The Academy almost never bends to pressure, TDKR's gonna be nothing but a tiny blip on their radar.

2 horse race between Zero Dark 30 and Lincoln IMO

Not necessarily. AMPAS could still resurrect Argo. It`s thematically similar to ZDT but it also has Hollywood producers as heroes and patriots. And AMPAS supposedly loves movies about Hollywood business. So Argo and ZDT could split votes allowing Linc to win.

And AMPAS supposedly loves movies about Hollywood business. So Argo and ZDT could split votes allowing Linc to win.

This is more of an argument that people use to justify their beliefs without too much basis. I'm sure it is somewhat true, but it's more about the heart. If the Hollywood movie is cold and intellectual it'll still fall flat with the Academy.

I think a more likely reason ZDT is still very vulnerable is that its reviews, while unanimously favorable, praise the movie on its apolitical and clinical approach to the situation; it's all reminding me of TSN a little too much, and if there's one thing we can say about the Academy for certain, it's that they love sentimentality.