Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

I don't know how to describe it but that type of movie (SLP) has to be included in the best picture line-up. There is a large chunk of the Academy that it satisfies, particularly the actors and writers.

But it doesn't invoke lots of passion the way that Les Mis or ZDT will and ergo not too many #1 votes which are key.

The BAFTA nominations? The same 5 as the DGA... boring. At least Hooper didn't get in for director, unless I'm misremembering.And lol @ Ben Affleck's Best Actor nomination.

Spielberg did not get in. Haneke and Tarantino did.

But it doesn't invoke lots of passion the way that Les Mis or ZDT will and ergo not too many #1 votes which are key.

Not as key with 5 nominees. Regardless, it still would get plenty of #1 votes. Like Argo, it's a crowd-pleaser that everyone likes. Pi is perhaps more divisive and doesn't satisfy actors. If SLP gets editing and direction we can assume it's in the 5 right?

The BAFTA nominations? The same 5 as the DGA... boring. At least Hooper didn't get in for director, unless I'm misremembering.And lol @ Ben Affleck's Best Actor nomination.

Spielberg got snubbed!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS :DI would just like to take a moment to thank the BAFTAS for seeing the light and nominating Haneke, Riva, and the Screenplay. I would now however like to take a very long moment to berate you for your egregious choices; Affleck in Actor? No Maggie Smith in Exotic Marigold Hotel? No Amour in Picture? Beasts's screenplay? No Eddie, Barks, or Hooper? And you nominate Affleck instead of Craig?

A few Lincoln snubs are not shocking. It appeals more to an American audience. Britain doesn't have the same connection to Abraham Lincoln.This board must admit that Skyfall's failure to get even a Best Picture nomination doesn't bode well for it's Oscar chances. I only say that because this board seems quite adamant that it's getting in.

Why should Maggie Smith get a nomination for Marigold? She just played a cranky old bitch who turns good in the end. Nothing great.

She's amazing so shut up. :P and she's British in a very well received British film, a nomination should've been a piece of cake. Also surprised that both her and Dench didn't get double nodde in Actress an Sipporting Actress. But I honestly don't care at this point. Haneke!!!!! And Anna Karenina didn't do so well.

A few Lincoln snubs are not shocking. It appeals more to an American audience. Britain doesn't have the same connection to Abraham Lincoln.This board must admit that Skyfall's failure to get even a Best Picture nomination doesn't bode well for it's Oscar chances. I only say that because this board seems quite adamant that it's getting in.

I'm mildly shocked by Lincoln, I definitely thought that if they were to snub someone big it's be Bigelow and ZDT. Edited by riczhang