Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Life of Pi trash? Oh wow.

Anyone who can't at the very least appreciate the technical aspects of Life of Pi has no business critiquing movies. It has some of the best cinematography in film history, so that alone means it can never be called "trash." Edited by HobbitMan89

Anyone who can't at the very least appreciate the technical aspects of Life of Pi has no business critiquing movies. It has some of the best cinematography in film history, so that alone means it can never be called "trash."

I don't personally think that the cinematography of Pi is anything very noteworthy, it's great but not spectacular. However the VFX involved, the CGI are absolutely spectacular. I love the film as well.

Argo vs Lincoln. It's a two horse race, ZDT isn't as loved as those two, plus Bigelow recently won. Les Mis and Pi should be lucky to be nominated, both trash. Silver Linings can spoil in a few categories, but it's not in the BP race. Any way I look at it, it's Lincoln vs Argo.

LOP as trash? The hate by some for it, I just don't get. Movie has a strong story, great visuals, very well acted by young and old Pi. Ending is polarizing for some but I loved it. It connected all of the dots and showed human nature in it's truest sense. It deserves the BP nomination, no question about it. Edited by druv10

LOP as trash? The hate by some for it, I just don't get. Movie has a strong story, great visuals, very well acted by young and old Pi. Ending is polarizing for some but I loved it. It connected all of the dots and showed human nature in it's truest sense. It deserves the BP nomination., no question about it.

Definitely, it's one of only 2 movies that are going to be nominated for BP in both the Academy and my personal line-up (Well Skyfall and Moonrise could potentially be nominated as well).I don't see what the problem with the ending is. The book ends in a similar way, it's the way the movie was always meant to end.

So hard to guess the 8-10th spots this year (assuming there's 10, which I really can't see there not being). Here's my final BP nom prediction, in order of most to least likely:1. Lincoln2. Argo3. Zero Dark Thirty4. Les Mis5. Life of Pi6. Silver Linings Playbook7. Moonrise Kingdom (several Academy members have expressed their love for this, I think it's locked)8. Amour9. Beasts of the Southern Wild10. Django Unchained (the Academy is made up too much of old farts for this to be a lock. I guarantee it turned a large chunk of the Academy off, but I think it will still just manage to get in by the skin of its teeth)

Anyone who can't at the very least appreciate the technical aspects of Life of Pi has no business critiquing movies. It has some of the best cinematography in film history, so that alone means it can never be called "trash."

I wasn't impressed by its cinematrography.

It would be SLP, there needs to be a space for the human drama/comedy. Pi doesn't seem to have much heat behind it, a typical also-ran.

Pi is much more of a passion movie than SLP. In the traditional BP 5 maybe it might be SLP, but if we take the top 5 as they are voted upon right now I have no doubt it'd be Pi.

There is quite a large discrepancy between US voters and non-US voters for Zero Dark Thirty. On IMDB the movie currently has a score of 7.4, US voters giving a score of 7.9 and non-US giving 7.1. It also has a large percentage of people giving it zero so it seems to be a love or hate type film. Personally I hated the hurt locker because it was simply boring, not at all suspenseful so I have no interest in seeing Bigelow's latest film.

Pi is much more of a passion movie than SLP. In the traditional BP 5 maybe it might be SLP, but if we take the top 5 as they are voted upon right now I have no doubt it'd be Pi.

I don't know how to describe it but that type of movie (SLP) has to be included in the best picture line-up. There is a large chunk of the Academy that it satisfies, particularly the actors and writers.