AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

2 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

Because of course he wasn't dead :kitschjob: Just like Darth Maul wasn't back :kitschjob: 

Also the EU got a huge hard-on for Boba Fett. There was one 9-novel series set 35 years post-ROTJ involving a new civil war and Han and Leia's son going to the Dark Side and all sorts of stuff....and Boba Fett was essentially one of the main characters of 3 of them.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The Futurist said:

JJ & Kasdan have written the main arcs of the characters the trilogy, Force Awakens is pretty obvious about this.

JJ & Kasdan & Kennedy (and her committee) are the show runners.

Johnson wrote the stories of EP 8&9 but that s it, he didn't decide the characters' fates & arcs.

Johnson isn't just sitting at a keyboard with JJ and Kennedy over his shoulders telling him what to type.  He is writing both 8 and 9, he will have significant contributions to the story and to the characters.  

Just now, 4815162342 said:

Also the EU got a huge hard-on for Boba Fett. There was one 9-novel series set 35 years post-ROTJ involving a new civil war and Han and Leia's son going to the Dark Side and all sorts of stuff....and Boba Fett was essentially one of the main characters of 3 of them.

:kitschjob:

The fanboys surely loved Boba Fett. That is why they used him so much in the comics.

• Like 1

Just now, CJ Ren said:

:kitschjob:

The fanboys surely loved Boba Fett. That is why they used him so much in the comics.

The core storyline of one of those novels was Boba Fett training Han and Leia's daughter to be a badass fighter so she could take down her brother, because of course if you need to level up in badass beyond puny Jedi skills, you gotta learn from Boba Fett.

• Like 2

Just now, 4815162342 said:

The core storyline of one of those novels was Boba Fett training Han and Leia's daughter to be a badass fighter so she could take down her brother, because of course if you need to level up in badass beyond puny Jedi skills, you gotta learn from Boba Fett.

:mellow:

What the fuck... That shit had way too much nonsense :lol: 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Johnson isn't just sitting at a keyboard with JJ and Kennedy over his shoulders telling him what to type.  He is writing both 8 and 9, he will have significant contributions to the story and to the characters.  

We ll never know who contributed to what exactly but you don't make big Star Wars decisions without referring to the powers that be that are : 

JJ, Kasdan, Kennedy and all her Lucasfilm's collaborators.

Even Force Awakens was discussed to death with the Lucasfilm's committee so Johnson won't have more power and freedom than JJ's.

Nope.

Ryan Johnson's creativity and his ideas are welcome but they have to be approved in some way. 

He obviously nailed it since he s been hired to write RP 8&9 but he s a hired gun here, not the show runner.

That s why they hire creative people I know, movies don't exist out of vacuum, executives don't know how to write & direct movies contrary to popular belief, they meddle yes, but we never really what happens in the chaos that is making a movie.

13 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

I really really hope this is the case. Let's get some fresh ideas in there.

Don't expect some quirky, original, fresh Star Wars films from Ryan Johnson, these movies have never been about a filmmaker s style or vision.

This is not the Mission Impossible or Alien franchise, this is freaking Star Wars.

Stand alone movies will have a bit more freedom even if they ll still pander to nostalgia.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I really really hope this is the case. Let's get some fresh ideas in there.

Force awakens has plenty of fresh ideas you refuse to see, from a certain point of view.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

:mellow:

What the fuck... That shit had way too much nonsense :lol: 

Honestly compared to the big EU story arcs that came before it and after it, this particular 9-novel series was pretty good. Taken on its own, it was pretty flawed, but still an entertaining read.

But of course there were multiple situations where the punk emo wannabe Sith son of Han and Leia got his ass beat, but because of plot demands either got to escape or even pull a win out of his ass. That got old.

• Like 1

Finn is not Han. Never seen a stormtrooper having second thoughts.

Rey is not Luke. Same-y starting point perhaps but very different arc.

Kylo is not Vader. Not yet.

The big baddie we don't know.

Lupita s character was new.

Characters' interactions are new, fresh, funny, dynamic and exciting more than in any Star Wars movie, there was an energy in this movie that was undeniable and very JJ's.

The last act in the forest was a total surprise to me, if you saw it coming, then you should be a writer.

Did you know that Luke was the McGuffin, I suspected it, but I thought it was a bold move to have a movie with almost no Luke when Hamill was all over the promotion to sell the movie to old timers.

Old characters, Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, R2 are forever changed & damaged, they evolved dramatically.

Plenty of interesting questions are asked in the movie for the future.

But I don't deny it, plenty of scenes and set ups are similar to ANH, even ESB (the set up for Han's death) so the lack of originality issue is valid but they tried some things I thought and succeeded.

And yes a third Death Star is a cop out, it s so expected Han makes a meta joke about it in the freaking movie.

But wanting TOTAL originality from a Star Wars movie is an exercice in futility since ANH 's premise  was that originality in storytelling simply doesn't exist.

Re-read your Joseph Campbell s teachings young Padawan, a lot you have still to learn.

Like SURPISE ME Star Wars, surprise me Hollywood, I command it !

Good luck with that, few movies surprise me, I know how they are gonna pan out 99% of the time, serious dramas, indies whatever included, same old three acts everywhere.

And the last act of the movie in the forest knocked me out and surprised me so Mission Accomplished JJ !

When the lightsaber doesn't come to Kylo & Rey gets it, I have goosebumps just writing about it.

Rey is the new bad ass in the galaxy, get used to it and take a bow !

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Finn is not Han.

Rey is not Luke. Same-y starting point perhaps but very different arc.

Kylo is not Vader. Not yet.

The big baddie we don't know.

Lupita s character was new.

Characters' interactions are new, fresh, funny, dinamic and exciting more than in any Star Wars movie, there was an energy in this movie that was undeniable and very JJ's.

The last act in the forest was a total surprise to me, if you saw it coming, then you should be a writer.

Did you know that Luke was the McGuffin, I suspected it, but I thought it was a bold move to have a movie with almost no Luke when Hamill was all over the promotion to sell the movie to old timers.

Old characters, Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, R2 are forever changed & damaged, they evolved dramatically.

Plenty of interesting questions are asked in the movie for the future.

But I don't deny it, plenty of scenes and set ups are similar to ANH, even ESB (the set up for Han's death) so the lack of originality issue is valid but they tried some things I thought and succeeded.

But wanting TOTAL originality from a Star Wars movie is an exercice in futility since ANH 's premise  was that originality in storytelling simply doesn't exist.

Re-read your Joseph Campbell s teachings young Padawan, a lot you have still to learn.

Like SURPISE ME Star Wars, surprise me Hollywood, I command it !

Good luck with that, few movies surprise me, I know how they are gonna pan out 99% of the time, serious dramas, indies whatever, same old there acts everywhere, included.

And the last act of the movie in the forest knocked me out and surprised me do Mission Accomplished JJ !

When the lightsaber doesn't come to Kylo & Rey gets it, I have goosebumps just writing about it.

Rey is the new bad ass in the galaxy, get used to it and take a bow !

Thanks for taking time to write that out, appreciate it.

• Like 2

I'm having an argument right now with someone who thinks this needed more references to the prequels and its somehow devolved into him calling Star Wars the "Doctor Who of America" even though the only actual comp to that could possibly be Star Trek

send help