AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

8 minutes ago, straggler said:

I think the superhero analogy is perfect. She was an expert fighter and pilot and mechanic and force user and marksman and acrobat and lightsaber duelist and fearless and emotionally detached. I realize that Rey was written to be the "female badass" to show that Star Wars was safe for the 21st Century even though Leia was actually a great character but it was complete overcompensation. Katniss was a strong character because the film didn't keep insisting that she was. It was organic or natural. The film did not keep insisting on this fact and much of her strength came from the fact that she overcame fear and the vulnerability buried deep inside that Lawrence managed to convey. If a movie has to keep telling the audience how strong a character is, the character really isn't.  

Much to learn you still have.  

All you have to do is read through a few pages back and people give plenty of reasons as to why Rey can do what she does.  and it doesn't take a genius to understand that she obviously had jedi training before and she OBVIOUSLY is a Skywalker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Well I guess I'll start with what I liked (which was most everything but particularly):

The New Cast! The New Cast! The New Cast

Kylo Ren and Finn are my MVPs 

Liked that the old characters had been pretty fucked over since the last time we saw them.

visually super impressive

Third act was pretty great (not that the other two weren't good)

Negatives:

No Jar Jar :P

The Kylo Ren being Han's child review was kinda super poorly done

What about Queen Rey? :sarah:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Much to learn you still have.  

All you have to do is read through a few pages back and people give plenty of reasons as to why Rey can do what she does.  and it doesn't take a genius to understand that she obviously had jedi training before and she OBVIOUSLY is a Skywalker.

I saw no evidence in the film that she was trained before, but the fact that this needs to be implied proves my point. I'm sure she is a Skywalker but even Luke needed to be trained by Obi Wan and Yoda and he did not start out like Rey. And Leia is a Skywalker and the best she does is have intuitions. Star Wars was a heroic journey story. TFA just skipped the journey part entirely.  

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I thought she was a good character probably have her in a tie for third place in the film with Han. 

:ohmyzod: 

Ok, it is fine, you liked it, that is all that matters. 

What about that Poe/Finn bromance?

3 minutes ago, straggler said:

I saw no evidence in the film that she was trained before, but the fact that this needs to be implied proves my point. I'm sure she is a Skywalker but even Luke needed to be trained by Obi Wan and Yoda and he did not start out like Rey. And Leia is a Skywalker and the best she does is have intuitions. Star Wars was a heroic journey story. TFA just skipped the journey part entirely.  

If you saw no evidence that she was trained before then you didn't watch the same movie as I did.

Did yours have lightsabers in it?  A white Currelian ship that did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs?

Did yours have a black dude who was once a stormtrooper?

And finally, did you see a giant walking carpet?

If you didn't see any of these pieces in the film, perhaps you saw a bad parody of SW where it wasn't implied that Rey had previous training.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

1. Expert fighter? How? Because she defended herself against a band of thieves that were trying to steal the droid? Because the force happens to pull to her? You have to understand that perhaps the reason why they showed she's tough (not expert lol) and perhaps strong is because she probably had a past of it but doesn't remember.

2. Pilot, so what's your point? Being a pilot makes you super? She can fly a plane (and showed she was nervous doing so, which seems human and natural to me).

3. Force user, again hints are telling us that either she is Luke's kid or the force was drawn to her.

4. Marksman, meaning what? Her shooting the gun? You aim and pull the trigger? Come on now, this is just getting nit picky here.

5. acrobat, ? I don't recall her doing flips or any circus acts. She's athletic, okay is that a big deal?

6. Light saber duelist, first of all LOL at the name, second she had ONE FIGHT with a saber and it was against someone WHO WAS BLEEDING TO DEATH. 

7. Fearless, so I take it you missed the scene where she was freaked out at shit from seeing all the disturbing images from the saber and actually ran away SCARED (no she didn't have to go take a piss). When she was being held captive she was crying, visually and clearly scared. 

8. emotionally detached, okay this is the first and only point where this is just from someone's objective and opinion, so I can't tell you you're wrong in feeling the way you do. However, I 110% disagree vehemently. If anyone was disappointing emotional wise it was Captain Phasma. 

Did you see our girl climbing up and down the walls after magically using the Jedi mind trick to disarm a Stormtrooper? Didn't even have to pass Go. I'm a huge Star Wars fan but talk about being forced fed a heroic character. And she actually shed a single tear while neo-Vader was trying to Force her compliance. (And just how did he get Vader's helmet anyway. Did Luke keep it as a keepsake? Strange).  

Edited by straggler

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

If you saw no evidence that she was trained before then you didn't watch the same movie as I did.

Did yours have lightsabers in it?  A white Currelian ship that did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs?

Did yours have a black dude who was once a stormtrooper?

And finally, did you see a giant walking carpet?

If you didn't see any of these pieces in the film, perhaps you saw a bad parody of SW where it wasn't implied that Rey had previous training.

In other words you are scrambling to come up with an explanation. She had a flashback that didn't show it either. But alrighty then. The Force is indeed strong with the need to love this movie. 

1 minute ago, straggler said:

Did you see our girl climbing up and down the walls after magically using the Jedi mind trick to disarm a Stormtrooper? Didn't even have to pass Go. I'm a huge Star Wars fan but talk about being forced fed a heroic character. And she actually shed a single tear while neo-Vader was trying to Force her compliance.  

Again, she's athletic. So was Katniss......and again hint has it that she's able to use the mind trick because in her past she more than likely got training.

Just now, straggler said:

In other words you are scrambling to come up with an explanation. She had a flashback that didn't show it either. But alrighty then. The Force is indeed strong with the need to love this movie. 

I know the thread is huge, but I have explained this three different times.  I'm not going to do it again. Nothing personal, but it's too time consuming.

17 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

I've explained this several times, I realize it's a big thread...so one more time.

Luke trains a new breed of Jedi.

Leia wants Ben trained.

Luke, assuming he has a child, wants her trained too.

Ben turns to the dark side, seduced by Vader's memory

He forms the Knights of Ren.

He takes out all the Jedi, with the exception of Rey and obviously Luke

Luke holds himself responsible, thinking he could train Jedi like Yoda, fails and decides that like Yoda and ObI Wan, he must seek exile.

He fears for his daughters life and that she too might have her grandfather's tendencies.

He erases her memory.  How?  I have no idea, I'm not Lawrence Kasdan.

He takes her to Jakku and drops her with Plutt.  He helps raise her and keeps an eye on her.

She is also probably watched over by Tekka.....he tells Poe that he has seen too much, he is also on Jakku and he obviously knew Ben as a young boy.

Plutt is the one holding her hand when she is young.  She looks to be about 4 or 5, which is old enough to have Jedi training.

Kylo/Ben would be strong with the force no doubt, but if Rey had any training as a youngster, she would probably have more natural ability because of who her father is.

Also, the awakening is her ability with the force.

When Kylo tries getting the map from her head, he awakens it in her.  He can't get it out and she can now get into his head and realize that he is a scared, petulant kid who so desperately wants to be Vader, but isn't that strong and probably won't be until he kills his dad.

She has been using elements of the force all through the movie, like maneuvering the Falcon, like Anakin did in the pod race.

When she is in Maz's basement, that sabre calls to her.  Also, Kenobi's voice does say something like follow your father's footsteps.

Maz asks Han, "Who's the girl?"  I think she has an idea who she is.

And Luke, according to Snokes is the last Jedi left.  So if that is true, then she has to be someone's kid or kin.  

All roads lead to her being Luke's kid.

Even the look at the end when Luke sees her, it kind of looks like he is shocked that she is there, but he knows her and the force told him that eventually she would complete her destiny.

Here's the post.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, straggler said:

Did you see our girl climbing up and down the walls after magically using the Jedi mind trick to disarm a Stormtrooper? Didn't even have to pass Go. I'm a huge Star Wars fan but talk about being forced fed a heroic character. And she actually shed a single tear while neo-Vader was trying to Force her compliance. (And just how did he get Vader's helmet anyway. Did Luke keep it as a keepsake? Strange).  

How did he get Vader's helmet?  Seriously?  You can't figure that one out on your own?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

How did he get Vader's helmet?  Seriously?  You can't figure that one out on your own?

I promise not to reply again. But COME ON! Luke rescues his father from the Dark Side, culminating with his dad finally seeing him with his own eyes, cremates his body and the sees the Force presence of his pre-Vader father and knows that he has saved him (and no not the freaking new version with what's his name), but then decides that he just needs to keep a token of his father's pain, torture and seduction by the Dark Side for old time's sake? Hell no.