Ezen Baklattan

I'm in a moral dilemma!

I'm currently protesting against SOPA, and some of the biggest supporters of the bill are major hollywood studios. Having said that, there's a lot of good stuff to see in theaters right now, and my weekend currently seems very free, so I feel very conflicted.One solution could be to see Tinker Tailor, which was technically produced in the UK...so by seeing it, it wouldn't necessarily be supporting Hollywood films...

• Founder / Operator

My recommendation is to protest by writing your congressional offices. Additionally, you could stipulate to yourself that you protest by no longer purchasing DVDs and/or Blu-Rays until the bills are thrown out (or something along those lines).Or maybe set a specific number of days you will protest instead.The hard part with protesting is that to do so indefinitely creates these types of dilemmas. Similar to strikes, really. Eventually, it becomes detrimental to your own self interests (and others' depending on the circumstances). That's why Google chose to keep its services going (how unrealistic would it be for them to shut down GOOGLE... :lol:) but extend a loud voice in opposition to the bills. Same for Wikipedia...they only protested via inaction for one day. :)

• Founder / Operator

I don't think anyone is boycotting the idea of putting into place more effective means to protect copyright law, but these bills aren't the right way to do it ... and the media conglomerates aren't just supporting the goal of protecting copyright, they're supporting the bills themselves.SOPA and PIPA are just two more ways for the government to fundamentally change our country. I'd be truly afraid for the future of America if they ever passed (but at this point, it looks unlikely that they will).

Edited by ShawnMR

I think a lot of you are right. Thanks for the input, everyone.Besides, SOPA/PIPA probably won't pass anyway in its current state, especially after Wednesday's blackout in several sites. I've encouraged some of my friends to stand against the two acts. I wouldn't even be having this dilemma if the potential results of the acts wcould be so drastic for the internet. And I haven't even considered how bad the film industry has had it lately.If they manage to change SOPA/PIPA to counter piracy, but not harm free speech, I'd be for it, the problem is: How?

Edited by Spaghetti

If they manage to change SOPA/PIPA to counter piracy, but not harm free speech, I'd be for it, the problem is: How?

Well, my thinking is this... the main things that people pirate are music, movies/TV shows and software. I'm sure there is some way that they can be specific enough to cover full, unauthorized versions of just those things. Make it say something about sites making available for free without permission versions of the aforementioned content in its entirety that is/will be for sale by the copyright owner(s) elsewhere.As far as artwork/photographs/articles/short clips of tv shows/films... no one really "pirates" those anyway and copyright law already covers those.

Well, my thinking is this... the main things that people pirate are music, movies/TV shows and software. I'm sure there is some way that they can be specific enough to cover full, unauthorized versions of just those things. Make it say something about sites making available for free without permission versions of the aforementioned content in its entirety that is/will be for sale by the copyright owner(s) elsewhere.As far as artwork/photographs/articles/short clips of tv shows/films... no one really "pirates" those anyway and copyright law already covers those.

I'm pretty sure those laws are already in place. Things like torrent trackers, where the content is not actually stored on the website, but rather on thousands of different computers is the problem.

Well then make it say any website providing any kind of link to those very specific things. However, in the end they're just going to have to do something else. They're never going to be able to come up with any legislation that will accomplish this without peeing on the 1st amendment at the same time.

Well then make it say any website providing any kind of link to those very specific things. However, in the end they're just going to have to do something else. They're never going to be able to come up with any legislation that will accomplish this without peeing on the 1st amendment at the same time.

That's what the bill is about, and that's why people are opposed to it. :rolleyes: Edited by eggplant