baumer

Star Wars Tuesday - 37.3M (Tele/baumer bet for Wednesday drop is on page 24...much to learn one of them still has)

2 minutes ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

Normally, I would agree wholeheartedly. The only issue I see is the portion(lol) that came from the marathons which had to be going on for hours before and cost way more than even the most expensive ticket. That is definitely skewing Friday. I just wish I had hard numbers on how much those marathons did so I could analyze their impact. 

It had way fewer marathons than most Marvel movies, the Hunger Games saga, etc. Those usually had 30-40 shows or more, when I tracked their Thursday previews. Star Wars had 8.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

Normally, I would agree wholeheartedly. The only issue I see is the portion(lol) that came from the marathons which had to be going on for hours before and cost way more than even the most expensive ticket. That is definitely skewing Friday. I just wish I had hard numbers on how much those marathons did so I could analyze their impact. 

THG and AOU had marathons. Do we not count those or does the fuzzy accounting only apply to the TFA?

• Like 2

you know for all this arguing about counting previews, I am pretty sure that if you took them away TFA is still number 1. It fell 1 mill short true friday, and sat, but made up 3 mil sunday. Also if they both just did midnight launches TFA would have benefited more. So I dont see what the argument is. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tau Ceti said:

Geez, thanks Obi-Wan. I hadn't noticed.

Sorry for the blunt obviousness, but it just goes to show how meaningless all of this is. Why should Friday even be counted as a weekend day? It certainly isn't one. Yet for the purposes of counting box-office, at some point it was determined that it should be included, and so it was. Movies didn't used to have midnight shows (the same day as release only as a technicality), and then at some point it was determined that they should be included, and so it was. Now we have preview shows that start on Thursday evening, and it's been decided that they'll be included, and so they are.

Everything else is just nitpicking, and for what real purpose? The only thing all this indicates is how release patterns are changing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Sellouts seem to be picking up here, I think the estimate is going up friends.

Don't worry, by the way, I've got my foot perfectly positioned to go into my mouth as soon as Rth comes back.

It was rough estimate by Rth. It probably goes up since WC has absolutely been killing it from day 1. My guess his next estimate will be 38-40M. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Well, here's how you can:

Friday, December 18, 2015

<<Prev Day <Wk <Mo <Yr

>Yr >Mo >Wk >>Next Day
TD YD Title (Click to View) Studio Daily Gross % +/- YD / LW Theaters / Avg Gross To-Date Day
1 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $119,119,282 - - 4,134 $28,815 $119,119,282 1
2 - Sisters Uni. $4,962,215 - - 2,962 $1,675 $4,962,215 1
3 - Alvin and the Chipmunks The Road Chip Fox $4,126,717 - - 3,653 $1,130 $4,126,717 1
4 1 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 LGF $1,543,423 +76% -53% 2,653 $582 $250,332,197 29
5 3 Creed WB (NL) $1,365,703 +91% -54% 2,433 $561 $84,180,776 24
6 5 Krampus Uni. $1,198,420 +149% -53% 2,371 $505 $32,229,075 15
7 4 The Good Dinosaur BV $1,086,740 +58% -52% 2,755 $394 $93,400,808 24
8 2 In the Heart of the Sea WB $985,429 +35% -74% 3,103 $318 $16,120,524 8
9 11 Dilwale UTV $593,932 +444% - 268 $2,216 $703,052 2
10 - Bajirao Mastani Eros $451,914 - - 304 $1,487 $451,914 1

And the NFL is a non-profit organization too. Also, Fox News Channel is fair and balanced. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

It had way fewer marathons than most Marvel movies, the Hunger Games saga, etc. Those usually had 30-40 shows or more, when I tracked their Thursday previews. Star Wars had 8.

Edited by ecstasy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tokila said:

you know for all this arguing about counting previews, I am pretty sure that if you took them away TFA is still number 1. It fell 1 mill short true friday, and sat, but made up 3 mil sunday. Also if they both just did midnight launches TFA would have benefited more. So I dont see what the argument is. 

Yep.  The two movies opened at the same time and TFA had substantially more demand than JW.  If they had both opened on Friday TFA clearly would have had the higher number, not even really debatable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

THG and AOU had marathons. Do we not count those or does the fuzzy accounting only apply to the TFA?

You really think those two had as much of an impact as Star Wars on the preview numbers???

I can answer that for you: 57m. 

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Sorry for the blunt obviousness, but it just goes to show how meaningless all of this is. Why should Friday even be counted as a weekend day? It certainly isn't one.

And why the heck do all these dang fools on this board keep trying to tell me May is part of Summer?

It's Spring, dammit!!

• Like 3

Just now, DarthArachnid!™ said:

You really think those two had as much of an impact as Star Wars on the preview numbers???

I can answer that for you: 57m. 

Yes, they had more impact. They had more showtimes and since the overall gross was less than SW, they had even more of an impact (in terms of the percentage they contributed to the overall Thursday night gross).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I have sensed a disturbance in the force and its that its post Holiday legs will be not as good we think.

I used ROTK January performance for my model. Which means solid, but not Avatar. 

6 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Yes, they had more impact. They had more showtimes and since the overall gross was less than SW, they had even more of an impact (in terms of the percentage they contributed to the overall Thursday night gross).

Can you show me where this is reported?

image.jpg