#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Could you please stop using 'fudging'... It VERY rarely happens, in recent years probably ONCE. And never for the end-result.

Arrgh, the Avatar calculation model has nothing to do with drop percentages, SW 7 does not follow Avatar's percentages...

I sense some frustration bud (obviously well placed though -_- ).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mikeymichael said:

I feel like TFA's entire run has had the 1B monkey on its back. Once the expectation shifted from merely beating Avatar to the 1B milestone, the nature of everybody's reaction to the last two weeks of numbers has been a lot less celebratory and more disappointed in nature than it frickin should be. I'm guilty of this myself. Inevitable, I guess.

Wrong, by far. Only bcs a lot members (a high percentage seems to rather newly arrived) were a bit vocal doesn't mean you should forget the members less vocal who either nver expected it even for a moment nor react disappointed in the way you seem to imply

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Sad the holidays are ending, you only get so long to savor the history you are the midst of. 

Wrong, even with under $10m at Monday and the matching following weekdays the run is still amazing and still 'history in the making' if you are inclined to see it that way. It could be called amazing how you constantly manage to get a negative twist into your posts, if it wouldn't get so boring via the ammount of those = has nothing to do with your numbers, only with your added quips.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

just saw Serenity on netflix god was soo good liked the atmosphere the dialogue the action and the fx for a 39m dollars film the fx are dam good :)

When all the money is spend corectly you have a movie called Serenity.

I love the introduction of the crew members scene = only one well hidden cut...

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I sense some frustration bud (obviously well placed though -_- ).

I love numbers, I hate lazy throwing around of 'in' words/terms, especially if not based on reality.

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Wrong, by far. Only bcs a lot members (a high percentage seems to rather newly arrived) were a bit vocal doesn't mean you should forget the members less vocal who either nver expected it even for a moment nor react disappointed in the way you seem to imply

Wrong, even with under $10m at Monday and the matching following weekdays the run is still amazing and still 'history in the making' if you are inclined to see it that way. It could be called amazing how you constantly manage to get a negative twist into your posts, if it wouldn't get so boring via the ammount of those = has nothing to do with your numbers, only with your added quips.

Huh? Pretty surprised that's where you went with that but ok. It was more about living in the moment & how I will miss records the magnitude we've seen on a nightly basis but however you want to take it.

There's just really no way to maintain the sense of awe in a franchise movie's performance more than two weeks into its run. The shock came from the huge opening weekend, and it's basically been performing like a normal holiday blockbuster ever since. There aren't any more surprises to be had.

Here's an interesting table I made, comparing top 10 all-time grossers with and without china.

XCS6gPv.jpg

Furious 7 drops 4 ranks, HP gains 2, Avengers 2 drops 2 ranks, and Star Wars and Frozen climb 2 ranks.

I believe that removing China gives a much better picture of where the movies stand in all markets worldwide in terms of awareness. As we all know, Avengers 2 couldn't quite live to the first one in terms of hype, and it really shows this fact better if you remove china because the first one didn't make a fortune there. If you add China, suddenly it's not quite clear. Also, TA is barely behind Jurassic World without China, and the 2 so close together like this makes much more sense when you compare their numbers in all countries except China.

China's the RNG factor here when you really look at it. And it has benefited mainly movies from the last 2 years only.

Removing it gives a clearer picture of where movies stand, especially compared to movies older than 2012 (not shown on this list). This "modified" top 10 better showcases the "true" hype that those movies got worldwide. Was Furious 7 really as hyped as Avengers and Jurassic World, and more hyped than Harry Potter as well as Frozen? Did it have more, or any, impact than them? Not really, it didn't. It did on the all-time chart only because of China. #9 sounds a lot closer to where it belongs in terms of cultural impact after its run.

It also shows that Star Wars is really killing it worldwide, and should have no problems getting to Titanic's level when both are without China. It's already on JW and TA's level after 3 weeks.

And Avatar is pretty much out of reach, unless China shows up, and pulls a Furious 7 on Star Wars. :ph34r:

Edited by Daxtreme
typo
  • Like 3

When did I say the run wasn't amazing, being critical/a contrarian doesn't always mean negative either but I can see how some would take it that way. Clearly if I didn't love the movies & the numbers I wouldn't bother being on here as much as I am.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Could you please stop using 'fudging'... It VERY rarely happens, in recent years probably ONCE. And never for the end-result.

Settle down, Francis. My point was that Disney will do what it takes get to $1 billion that means donations to send a Boy & Girls clubs to see TFA, wining and dining to get a BP nomination, etc etc. The cache of having the first movie to do that domestically is enough for Disney to make a real push for it. Which is why I think $950 million means a billion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Huh? Pretty surprised that's where you went with that but ok. It was more about living in the moment & how I will miss records the magnitude we've seen on a nightly basis but however you want to take it.

Ahh, magnitude.. as in per day I assume, see nightly basis (as the cume per day is still worth called magni...something)

I think you might not always be aware about others not having insight into your thought process = clarifications included could avoid being 'misunderstood' / not getting understood in the intended way.

Especially as you seem to enjoy the ride, but your formulations appear to me as you do not enjoy the movie and add that detail a lot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Biph Shmata said:

Settle down, Francis. My point was that Disney will do what it takes get to $1 billion that means donations to send a Boy & Girls clubs to see TFA, wining and dining to get a BP nomination, etc etc. The cache of having the first movie to do that domestically is enough for Disney to make a real push for it. Which is why I think $950 million means a billion.

Nope, I'll not settle down if it is about the wrong use of a term that has started to get out of hand. And my name is not Francis (I assume you use a saying here not existing)

Plus that theory (~ in a way they'll spend $50m worth on tickests for reaching $1b) is one of the most far away from the business reality I've read since some time.

Wine and dine is to a degree normal, and as such IMHO not explicit counting for reaching $1b

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Ahh, magnitude.. as in per day I assume, see nightly basis (as the cume per day is still worth called magni...something)

I think you might not always be aware about others not having insight into your thought process = clarifications included could avoid being 'misunderstood' / not getting understood in the intended way.

Especially as you seem to enjoy the ride, but your formulations appear to me as you do not enjoy the movie and add that detail a lot.

I don't really care how I'm viewed, or I wouldn't be on the opposite side as much as I am. As long as I'm not breaking site rules &/or hurting feelings. You can think whatever you want but I enjoyed TFA. I gave it an 8/10 after seeing it, I just have a lot of problems with the story & it being so similar to ANH which I've been very consistent about. I also have said just as much for forum members to separate their feelings on the quality of films vs the BO run. I've NEVER said I've been disappointed by anything about the run.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

When did I say the run wasn't amazing, being critical/a contrarian doesn't always mean negative either but I can see how some would take it that way. Clearly if I didn't love the movies & the numbers I wouldn't bother being on here as much as I am.

Wow, you see, a few little words here and there might have made that more clear. I am aware my English ability is limited, but I am sure I am not the only one who got another impression (as I already read those the last 2 weeks)

Btw, I do not interpret contrarian automatically as negative, I am one of the ones who points out since the very beginning to expect the patterns of a winter movie, to stay cautious, hence the reason I also added the December release graphs even after a mod meant the top money making movies are now of more interest.... plus added the reasons why = that too can be seen as contrary I guess.

• Like 2

We won't see these numbers again before a long time folks, I guess until inflation does its dirty work.

Star Wars as a brand is gonna get watered down because it won't have any rarity factor anymore, Disney won't even be able to market EP9 as the last Star Wars.

And hoping a surprise movie could do Force Awakens' numbers, well good luck with that since franchises and sequels have completely taken over the Hollywood s landscape so technically Hollywood doesn't even try to create new big brands anymore.

And we know comedies are never giant big.

7 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

My original point was I'm going to miss this holiday period like I did w/ Avatar six years ago. TFA made it very enjoyable.

Holidays are over, but TFA isn't. :)

• Like 3

"Settle down, Francis" is from the 1981 Bill Murray and Harold Ramis comedy classic Stripes.

I don't view the fudging thing as that serious, it's at least half joking, like rooting for your favorite sports team to benefit from a bad call by the ref.

Yes, I think corporations and the people that run them are hyper-competitive and Disney won't blink twice about spending $50 million to be the first movie to hit $1 billion domestic. 

TFA much more than paid for it's budget with licensing and merch before it even opened . It's made plenty of money for Disney with a lot more to come.

So, TFA might break the third weekend record in two days if these estimates hold up?

"The Force... It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

• Like 3