terrestrial

Wednesday 6th, 2016 | SW 7 $6.2M = $764.4 = Officially #1 | DH 1.54 | H8 1.44 | Sisters 1.16 | BigShort 869k | Joy 855k | p.7 chart

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The difference this time is that TFA was an establishment creation, not a Speilberg or Locus creation. Also it would be bad manners to Locus by congratulating the person the director chosen by the "white slavers" who stole his baby.

You're sounding more and more like Kal...."Locust, Locus"

And who cares what Lucas calls Disney, he sold it to them. They didn't force him (ha). James is just in poor taste by not sending a congratulations.

• Like 2

Just now, VenomXXR said:

And who cares what Lucas calls Disney, he sold it to them. They didn't force him (ha). James is just in poor taste by not sending a congratulations.

Why is it, the chain has already been broken and has only existing between speiglberg and Lucast. If anything it's a cute little circlejerk between them both, why do you think it's an important thing to do?

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Why is it, the chain has already been broken and has only existing between speiglberg and Lucast. If anything it's a cute little circlejerk between them both, why do you think it's an important thing to do?

The Avengers did it for Jurassic World when they broke the OW record, and JW did it for TFA. It's become the courtosy when a big record is broken and it's not just between Lucas and Spielberg. Last time I like, it was done for Cameron when Titanic got the domestic record. You reciprocate back what's been afforded to you. Seems like common sense to me.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2016 at 8:19 PM, Jim Shorts said:

I've been meaning to catch a show there as well.  Let me know how it turns out. 

Pretty solid.  They're playing it in auditorium 8, which is a 215 seater (they've got 2 halls with 300 seats both playing TFA).  Front 3 rows are 19 seats, curved like Tysons and are actually adequately distanced from the screen.  Surround setup seemed fine, ambient sounds seemed they were coming from where they should have.  Woofer's a bit weak but no complaints.

Apparently they have a 35mm projector wonder when they pull that out.  They had Battle Royale listed but none of the screens were playing it today.

1 minute ago, spizzer said:

Pretty solid.  They're playing it in auditorium 8, which is a 215 seater (they've got 2 halls with 300 seats both playing TFA).  Front 3 rows are 19 seats, curved like Tysons and are actually adequately distanced from the screen.  Surround setup seemed fine, ambient sounds seemed they were coming from where they should have.  Woofer's a bit weak but no complaints.

Apparently they have a 35mm projector wonder when they pull that out.  They had Battle Royale listed but none of the screens were playing it today.

Also here's a few notes on the sound from cinematreasures

Sound system is sort of a crapshoot here.

Chef in theater #3 sounded bland, but that had to do with the mix itself.

Snowpiercer in theater #1 was loud and chaotic, but clear.

Guardians of the Galaxy in theater #2 was quieter than Snowpiercer. The theater itself had a noise floor issue, it sounded like the HVAC was pretty audible, and this was throughout the entire film and ruined the quiet moments

I have to give credit to the sound system in auditorium #2 – I saw ‘Jurassic World’ three times in the theater; once in 3D / IMAX-laser – the best in terms of color, black levels and 3D depth, standard 2D / 5.1 sound at Regal Bethesda [the worst presentation] 2D / 7.1 here at the Angelika – and in terms of sound it was actually the best – the 7.1 mix was better than the IMAX-laser presentation by placing a lot of audio cues to the left/right rear center channels to dramatic, scary effect – in one instance a character’s demise is heard directly behind us the viewer to unnerving finesse . Because of the odd aspect ratio of the movie, (2.00:1) the vertical masking (to eliminate the minor black borders above and below the image) was nearly spot on and took up most of the tall screen. My fingers are crossed that maybe auditorium 2 might get upgraded to Atmos, or DTS' new ‘X’ object based sound system, since it seems like a waste of potential with the ceiling speakers already in place… time will tell.

7 hours ago, Biph Shmata said:

The only one I can think of that even comes somewhat close is Paul Newman playing Fast Eddie Felson in The Hustler (1961) and again in The Color of Money (1986) 25 years apart.

you mean like some dude names Rocky?  and he might win an oscar in both rolls..

50 minutes ago, upprdeck said:

you mean like some dude names Rocky?  and he might win an oscar in both rolls..

He didn't win Best Actor for Rocky. He was only nominated. Peter Finch won for Network.

I like Rocky and all, but honestly, Network was robbed of both BP and BD that year. And Best Supporting Actor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

I think both Lucas and Cameron have become bitter in their old age, apparently Spielberg is still pretty easy going.

image.jpg

• Like 1

It's sad, really. Cameron owes so much to Star Wars. If it didn't change the moviegoing landscape for sci-fi fantasy films where would Avatar...a sci-fi fantasy be? 

Plus Cameron got his start working on a low budget Star Wars rip-off film.

image.jpg