WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

We need a fantastic MLK weekend hold and likely at least a nice re-expansion or re-release and 1b isn't dead. I hope Disney cares enough to try to get it there if it gets anywhere in the 970 area on its own. Still think my May 4th limited engagement (including IMAX) idea would do gangbusters. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

We need a fantastic MLK weekend hold and likely at least a nice re-expansion or re-release and 1b isn't dead. I hope Disney cares enough to try to get it there if it gets anywhere in the 970 area on its own.

And now imagine that you just typed that a movie made 170, and you wonder if the studio might try to push it over 200.

Your immedaite reaction would be that it's way too far away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

We need a fantastic MLK weekend hold and likely at least a nice re-expansion or re-release and 1b isn't dead. I hope Disney cares enough to try to get it there if it gets anywhere in the 970 area on its own. Still think my May 4th limited engagement (including IMAX) idea would do gangbusters. 

If they were going to do it they'd go for an off-period. Wouldn't want it taking away Captain America screens.

27 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Gramercy/Focus’ The Forest also blew away its tracking projections in what looks to be a $13.1M opening in fourth place. Most horror films slide on Saturday, but this Natalie Dormer one did not with an estimated $5.3M on Saturday, +6% over Friday.

go figure, that's kind of unusual

• Like 1

Just now, kitik said:

And now imagine that you just typed that a movie made 170, and you wonder if the studio might try to push it over 200.

Your immedaite reaction would be that it's way too far away.

Of course, but with the right angle and push it's not impossible in this case. If Avatar could gross another 11m after it looked like its interest had been completely exhausted, I would have to think a heavily marketed special 2 day event centered around Star Wars day and seeing the film one last time in theaters/IMAX could bring in huge sellouts and who knows how much. If IMAXs started selling out, it wouldn't take long for the gross on the 4th to start hitting the teens or higher. Of course, an even better way for it to get there would just be a crazy good hold next weekend over the Holiday. Let's see. 

THE REVENANT took in an estimated $38.0M this weekend and has grossed $39.56M to date domestically.

ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS: THE ROAD CHIP took in an estimated $5.50M this weekend and has grossed $75.61M to date domestically.

I hope The Revenant reaches the 100M.

Insane opening for The Forest. I don't care what anybody else says, that is crazy. It is gonna end up with 35M+ on a 10M budget and they basically spent 0 on marketing. And Sony covered part of that budget (or all of it) when they bought the international rights. 

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

If they were going to do it they'd go for an off-period. Wouldn't want it taking away Captain America screens.

It would be a limited engagement mainly centered on the 4th (SW day). It could play through the weekend too, but the IMAX screens in particular would only be that day or before Ctook over. 

Edited by MovieMan89

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I hope The Revenant reaches the 100M.

Insane opening for The Forest. I don't care what anybody else says, that is crazy. It is gonna end up with 35M+ on a 10M budget and they basically spent 0 on marketing. And Sony covered part of that budget (or all of it) when they bought the international rights. 

Revenant will easly reach 100M cmon. 125M at least. Its gonna have long legs with Globes, Oscars. and WOM is good