kayumanggi

LOGAN LUCKY | 08.18.17 | trailer on page 2

LL was two movies imo.  The first half was not so great, the second was much better.  Riley Keough just exudes sexuality though.  I could watch her in anything.  :ohmygod:

17 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

LL was two movies imo.  The first half was not so great, the second was much better.  Riley Keough just exudes sexuality though.  I could watch her in anything.  :ohmygod:

Even It Comes At Night?

:redcapes:

• Haha 1

This is weird, but Soderbergh strategy actually worked. It made profit on opening day.

The problem is he was expecting much better box office results.

So, he win and lose.

Another weird thing, the number one movie for the last two weekend Hitman's Bodyguard still needs to make $78 million just to break even.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

This is weird, but Soderbergh strategy actually worked. It made profit on opening day.

So, he win and lose.

Another weird thing, the number one movie for the last two weekend Hitman's Bodyguard still needs to make $78 million just to break even.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND, MAN.

• Like 1

Not sure it even need 78m in total at the box office to reach is expected break even point and it is already at 60.9m worldwide sunday.

How do you calculate that 139m break even point for a 30m dollar movie playing heavily domestic ? 4.6x the budget sound quite extreme, why not a break even point between 55 to 65 ?

It made profit on opening day.

What made a profit ? Do you mean he made a profit ? the movie has hole has yet to make a profit for all the party involved.

Edited by Barnack

17 minutes ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

So, he win and lose.

It doesn't need to make that to break even.  LG sold the foreign distribution rights before it was even released.  The film is in the black before there was one ticket bought for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

It doesn't need to make that to break even.  LG sold the foreign distribution rights before it was even released.  The film is in the black before there was one ticket bought for it.

What's your source?

This is my source: 

Finally, not to bury the lede or anything, but The Hitman’s Bodyguard was #1 for a second weekend. While it is headed for a final gross between $55-65 million in the U.S. it currently still needs another $78 million before it finds its way into profit.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/box-office-report-39the-hitman39s-bodyguard39-wins-even-with-challenge-from-harvey/23028?wssac=164&wssaffid=news

• Like 1

Lionsgate always sells off foreign rights to their films. Theyve been doing it for years. THB was just released in Japan on Netflix over the weekend. Its been their business model for a while.

6 hours ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

What's your source?

This is my source: 

Finally, not to bury the lede or anything, but The Hitman’s Bodyguard was #1 for a second weekend. While it is headed for a final gross between $55-65 million in the U.S. it currently still needs another $78 million before it finds its way into profit.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/box-office-report-39the-hitman39s-bodyguard39-wins-even-with-challenge-from-harvey/23028?wssac=164&wssaffid=news

And a site like that isn't reputable.  They are basically using the formula that a film needs 2.00 of gross for every one dollar spent on cost and distribution/marketing.  That's just simply not true anymore.  And if you used that formula then every film would be dead at the theaters.  There's also many other ways for films to make money besides the theater and when discussing its way to profitability, it's usually the cost of the film X2, which is still not entirely accurate.  I don't think it's fair to add in marketing when we have never really done that before.  So for some random website to come out say that THB needs something like 140 million to be profitable, is just plain wrong.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

And a site like that isn't reputable.  They are basically using the formula that a film needs 2.00 of gross for every one dollar spent on cost and distribution/marketing.  That's just simply not true anymore.  And if you used that formula then every film would be dead at the theaters.  There's also many other ways for films to make money besides the theater and when discussing its way to profitability, it's usually the cost of the film X2, which is still not entirely accurate.  I don't think it's fair to add in marketing when we have never really done that before.  So for some random website to come out say that THB needs something like 140 million to be profitable, is just plain wrong.  

I'm just showing you my source, whether it's true or not is a different issue.

So now show me your source?

Edited by HenryMeyers20
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

https://www.lionsgate.com/uploads/assets/2017 Annual Report.pdf

It is Liongates business model, from La la land to Hunger games/power rangers/God of Egypts:

Through our pre-sales and output arrangements, we generally cover the majority of the production budget or acquisition cost of newt heatrical releases which we distribute internationally.

Hitman being a movie with movie stars at 30m and a high concept that they say:

To highlight a few, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, starring Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson and Salma Hayek, is well-positioned for its August 18,2017 release after scoring are sounding hit with exhibitors at this year’s Cinema Con convention.

All is budget (or even more) is maybe a bit optimistic but possible, expect at least 75%+ of it.

Production budget is not necessarily the majority of a total movie expense thought.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

But quoting a website online that has nothing to back up what they are saying is not necessarily quoting a source. I mean you can Google anything online and probably find someone who will back you up on something. But when Lionsgate has actually said that this is what they do and deadline.com has corroborated a and there's other guys on our site that know a lot more about film than I do have also said it then that's where I get my information from.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

And a site like that isn't reputable.  They are basically using the formula that a film needs 2.00 of gross for every one dollar spent on cost and distribution/marketing.

When did that strange phenomenon started, Batman V Superman ? is the first time I remember seeing those strange number.

Funny things we went from the very funny MoS paid for all is budget/made money before playing in theater because of the product placement in the movies in 2013, to that strange 4 time the budget / 2x (production+ marketing) in less than 4 year's....

Do these people really think that a movie like moneyball

World P&A: 78.14m

Net production budget: 55m

Needed 266 million a the box office to only break even ? In reality it made a profit doing just 41% of that.

Titanic, Avatar, force awaken, Get Out would be the only kind profitable movie in history....

12 hours ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

What's your source?

This is my source: 

Has a rules of thumbs someone that is not specific were (in term or market) those box office dollar are made in is break even / profit calculation, is probably not really thinking too much about it or ever work in distributions, never seen a break even point calculation from a studio/anyone serious that do not at least specify the dbo/intl configuration. The fact that it needed 78m (and not 78 to 88 or something like that) to go into profit when it did 55 or 65 as of now is an other clue.

When you are talking about a Liongates release that tend to pre-sales at least 70% of the movie revenues sources and need deal to distribute everywhere that it didn't fully pre-sales except US/UK, it become more obvious.

But for a very domestic heavy comedy like that (that do usually well on rental/world tv) not small movie with reasonable P&A, double your budget rules of thumb would usually get you close to reality. 143m just to break even sound like madness imo, that is more than what Let's be cops did, close to Ride along and more than Ride Along 2, no one called any of those movie money looser for good reason, they were huge success.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

THB is basically an indies movie, LG only role is to distribute it in NA and the UK. Only the production companies can sell foreign rights. LG didn't produce THB.

The writer said THB needs to make another $78 million to see profit, he wasn't referring to LG. He was talking about the production companies. LG will make a profit for THB, but the producers will see very little if any money. LG will get 50% ticket sell plus a 15% distributor fee before the producers see any thing.

LG probably spent $35-$40 million for P&A, meaning the movie would have to make about what the article says.

This is why Soderbergh retired and then came back to do self distribution. He was tired of directing and producing movies only to see distribution companies make out and he gets very little or no money. The money from Logan Lucky is coming from the theaters straight to the production companies, no middleman.

This is why the big six studios are now distribution companies, that's where the money is.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see LL is making profit, despite it's poor box office number.

I'm sad to see HB is not making profit yet, despite it's good box office numbers. 

This shows that the distribution companies holds all the power and leverage over producers. 

Hopefully more production companies will start doing self distribution.