Impact

February-the best month to release R rated films?

Okay this is from a rather interesting thing I've observed-out of the top 5 February openers (after this weekend that is), only the Lego Movie wont be rated R and every film to break the February OW this century has been rated R!
Which makes you think-could this be the best month to release a R rated film? (Granted there are factors yes-50 Shades for example had Valentines day and a big book following, the sequels will fall but that is another story)

I think this might be a case of reverse causality. The movies aren't doing huge because they're being released in February, they just happen to be big movies that make February look good for this type. The reason R-rated movies are more comfortably placed in studios in February is kids are not really seeing movies, as it is the absolute heart of school time- no spring b reak, no Easter break, no summer, no fall break, no Thanksgiving break, no winter break. So naturally we see films appealing more to a younger audience evacuating the month, leaving a vauum where R-rated films make up the only major films released in this month. They aren't doing better because they're in February, it's just the February offers a circumstance that means they are routinely the only big movies released in this month. 

One thing I have noticed is that films that tend to do pretty good in the first 3 months for example are adult themed thrillers-not major openers or anything, but they tend to have nice runs this time of year.

Just now, Impact said:

One thing I have noticed is that films that tend to do pretty good in the first 3 months for example are adult themed thrillers-not major openers or anything, but they tend to have nice runs this time of year.

Well it helps when kids are in school, and more adults are going to the theaters. Also helps legs a bit. Films released between February and March tend to have pretty good weekend drops.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Well it helps when kids are in school, and more adults are going to the theaters. Also helps legs a bit. Films released between February and March tend to have pretty good weekend drops.

Yeah legs are better then say September. Which I have noticed that time of year its not uncommon for films to have 80% of there weekly grosses to happen on the weekend.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think this might be a case of reverse causality. The movies aren't doing huge because they're being released in February, they just happen to be big movies that make February look good for this type. The reason R-rated movies are more comfortably placed in studios in February is kids are not really seeing movies, as it is the absolute heart of school time- no spring b reak, no Easter break, no summer, no fall break, no Thanksgiving break, no winter break. So naturally we see films appealing more to a younger audience evacuating the month, leaving a vauum where R-rated films make up the only major films released in this month. They aren't doing better because they're in February, it's just the February offers a circumstance that means they are routinely the only big movies released in this month. 

We have a late winter break / early spring break in February and the heart of school for most of us in the mid-west is March - April since that's when the end of the year exams and state mandated tests fly in.  As for February being the best time of the year to release rated R films, I believe it's due to the films and January usually being a dump ground.  After a lackluster January, many movie goers probably want to see a decent and semi-tent-pole film before they save up for the summer releases.  

Edited by CelestialFairyIX

Honestly, I really feel that the month of the year makes virtually no impact on box office - other than holidays.

Deadpool would perform exactly the same any other time of the year (assuming same competition, marketing etc). You can maybe make a case for something like Fifty Shades using Valentine's Day, but even then, I don't think the release date made much impact on that.

I mean, if you're talking about R-rated movies, look at the top ten:

#1 - February

#2 - January

#3 - May

#4 - June

#5 - May

#6 - December

#7 - December

#8 - June

#9 - July

#10 - March

So I don't really see any reason to think February is special. 

Edited by Total Treecall