CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates (The Grey - 20M; One for the Money - 11.8M; Man on a Ledge - 8.3M)

$12.5M for Underworld Awakening? That's the lowest second weekend drop for the franchise! Awesome!!!!

The WOM is great. It is definitly worth the price of the ticket. Underworld is fun again.

$12.5M for Underworld Awakening? That's the lowest second weekend drop for the franchise! Awesome!!!!

I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't fall with actuals though. I know IMAX generally softens decreases a bit, but they're estimating only a 21.4% drop on Sunday when the other films of the series all fell at least 33.3% on the Sunday of their second weekend (though Lycans' 58% drop is clearly Super Bowl related).

So I just remembered that there was a 30M opener this month (The Devil Inside! remember guys?) and checked BOM to see how much did this weekend...

Jan 27–29 $655,000 -75.5% 722 -1,485 $907 $52,703,000

Is lowest drop was 66.8% last weekend. It won't make 55M DOM total after a 33.7M OW...

Edited by CJohn

Gitesh Pandya @giteshpandya

Will be lots of talk today about 'Oscar bumps' that nominees get. But boosts in gross also due to more scrns & ads.

Good point by Gitesh. Remember people. Yeah it's great Descendants got "Oscar bump" but it also added 1,500 screens so what were we expecting?

Yep, that is why it saw a Oscar bump.

Yes, but, to be fair, there's no way it would have gotten that theater increase (or extra ads) without the Oscar nominations (or at least without the nominations being expected), so it is still perfectly reasonable to call it an Oscar bump. And while The Descendants extreme theater count increase ultimately resulted in a decrease in PTA for the film, the film might well have seen an increase this weekend, albeit a much more sedate one, even if it hadn't added any theaters.

I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't fall with actuals though. I know IMAX generally softens decreases a bit, but they're estimating only a 21.4% drop on Sunday when the other films of the series all fell at least 33.3% on the Sunday of their second weekend (though Lycans' 58% drop is clearly Super Bowl related).

I hope you are right. $12.5 mio seems like a huge Sat jump vs low Sun drop. Something just doesn`t add up.

I hope you are right. $12.5 mio seems like a huge Sat jump vs low Sun drop. Something just doesn`t add up.

It's definitely not a huge Saturday jump -- the estimated Saturday increase of 35% would be the smallest second Saturday increase of the series. And the Friday increase was lower than the other movies as well, which is why it is probably fair to expect that there is some IMAX factor involved, softening both increases and decreases. But a 21.4% Sunday drop still seems a bit optimistic to me. Edited by Chrestomanci

So I just remembered that there was a 30M opener this month (The Devil Inside! remember guys?) and checked BOM to see how much did this weekend...

Jan 27–29 $655,000 -75.5% 722 -1,485 $907 $52,703,000

Is lowest drop was 66.8% last weekend. It won't make 55M DOM total after a 33.7M OW...

Yeah, at the moment the question seems to be whether it ends up with a worse multiplier than Friday the 13th did. It needs a final gross of at least $54,046,386 not to and I definitely wouldn't bet on it getting there.

If Descendants can hold steady through the Oscars it might be able to leg itself to $100m.

At least over $90M, which would make it Alexander Payne's highest grossing adjusted.

I'm more curious where Artist and Hugo end up in the sense that one film already grossed over its tiny budget and the other...well...is it a cheap shot to called such a critically acclaimed movie a bomb? It hasn't even grossed half it's budget internationally!

At least over $90M, which would make it Alexander Payne's highest grossing adjusted.I'm more curious where Artist and Hugo end up in the sense that one film already grossed over its tiny budget and the other...well...is it a cheap shot to called such a critically acclaimed movie a bomb? It hasn't even grossed half it's budget internationally!

No, Hugo is certainly a box office bomb, no matter how acclaimed. Such a shame too. I'd at least be happy if it could hit the $80m mark with the awards season, but I doubt it.

In a more positive development, Mission Impossible has now officially grossed more than $200M and has become the highest grossing film of the franchise internationally. Inflation-wise it won't match the first two but this is still a great accomplishment.Now if only Brad Bird's fellow Pixar mate Andrew Stanton can have as much luck with his live-action debut.

Considering all the hubbub about its release date (some of that courtesy of myself), it's impressive that both it and Sherlock Holmes have somehow come out in the black.

Exactly. I'm still perplexed that the release stragety not only worked but probably contributed to it breaking out like it did. It sold itself as an IMAX event and it worked perfectly. I'm not sure with The Hobbit coming out these two seasons if we'll see another company try the same thing but for what it was, Paramount was right on the money.