The Breakfast Club

25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Breakfast Club

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Ethan definitely does his homework on the boat.

He always has PB&J with the crusts cut off.

He has fake ID so he can vote.

He love Molliere.

He often has friends weed in his underwear.

He'll never be friends with the prom queen, because after she buries her head in the sand and waits for her fucking prom, she won't be friends with Ethan on Monday.

Ethan wants to put his face into the prom queens underwear, but she would close her legs and cause him to hit his head.

Ethan keeps count of detentions handed out to the criminals.  

He also pats himself on the shoulder after he writes a great essay.

• Like 2

It's OK. Would have resonated a lot more if I'd seen it 5-10 years ago, or if I'd been born in 1970. It's got a lot of charm, it mostly doesn't condescend to its characters or viewers, and the big confession scene works despite itself, because even though I never knew any high schoolers who would ever bare their souls to each other in eloquent monologues like that, I know that at some point many kids want to say all those things, so it's the kind of wish-fulfillment that works.

On the other hand, despite good performances, the characters remain little more than stereotypes even as they're complaining about being seen as stereotypes, and the ending with not one, but two couples being formed all of a sudden comes off as ludicrous more than anything else. And whether you see her as delightfully weird or actually mentally ill, Ally Sheedy's character could hardly end up with a worse fate than basically giving up her identity to get a makeover she neither wanted nor needed and start dating a dull jock because they just got high together. And the fact that the movie pulls that shit while preaching a "be yourself" message... I don't even understand. That's just dispiriting.

Love It - watched it a million times by now & will probably watch it a million more - I just love it!!  I graduated high school in the early 80s - this was usually how kids were defined - Stoners. Jocks. Nerds, etc. - but it was not so severe that you were just stuck with your group - we did intermingle.  John Hughes teen movies all seem to focus on this aspect of adolescent.