The Breakfast Club

25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Breakfast Club

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The quintessential teen movie. It's a film with no plot. It just listens to kids talking for two hours. I grew up in this era and every one of these characters are people I went to school with. I'm not really sure which one I'd fall into but I could relate to every one of them.John Hughes could make a film about two people stuck in a phone booth and it would be interesting.10/10

What makes Breakfast Club or even Ferris Bueller (I'll leave Sixteen Candles out of this) even more impressive than their terrific screenplays and teenage performances suggest is how no high school movies since have been able to reflect their respective generations this well. The closest this generation has gotten is Mean Girls and Easy A, which are funny but really lightweight movies. Few movies aimed at teens today, and none that are massively popular, are as honest and poignant and revelatory as The Breakfast Club was.Shame.

• Like 4

Not sure why this is looked upon so fondly. It could indeed be the source of genericalness but because I've just seen it this year, it seems awfully generic and is the same old teenage movie, except character development is not anywhere near what the conclusion came up with.

I am not a 80's kid but this movie spoke to me quite well.

I like this movies that focus on young characters and there problems at school..

Also the ending music is iconic and great.

Same with me.

I think this movie can speak to so many generations.  John Hughes knew how to make movies appeal to teens and adults. 

• Like 2

This, imo, is the best film about teens ever made.  Just because there are no cellphones or computers, doesn't make it dated.  This isn't about what you see around them, but how they feel, how they talk, how they hurt, how they deal with peer pressure, parents, school, friends and peers.  There has never been a film like this since and I doubt there ever will be.  

I just saw this for the first time on Netflix like three days ago. It was overall a good movie, thought it dragged a bit in parts. There were times where I didn't get why characters acted a certain way (like, I don't get why early in the film the other kids didn't rat bender (was that the punk's name? Couldn't get a good grip if it was bender or fender) out when he was acting like an ass the whole time. I know I would). Despite that, it's a short decent movie with some good moments. I gave it a B, overall rating 7/10.

John Hughes got an undisputable knack to depict the inner feelings and aspirations of 80's teenagers but what makes Breakfast Club the cult classic it is resides in its universal appeal on which you can project yourself (whether it be present or past).

If you didn't feel empathy and misty-eyed during the confession scene in which all reveal their failures (especially Hall's character aka the "nerd"), you don't know what teenage angst is.

Posted Image

A+.

• Like 2

Saw this for the first time this week, and I enjoyed it, and was surprised actually by how simple/nonexistent the plot is. Funny and decently dramatic, overall it's very good. for now, could go up to A+ whenever I rewatch it in one sitting