cannastop

Best Original Song 2016

27 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Would that count? I feel like The Academy might have a little issue if someone takes their own song from their play and puts it in their movie, even if it's technically still original.

If it's from a play, it's not original. He'd have to make a new song for a movie version of Hamilton to be eligible for an Oscar.

10 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The recent Les Miserables movie with Hugh Jackman made up a new bullshit song just so they could be nominated for best ORIGINAL song.

so did chicago, dreamgirls, nine, the phantom of the opera, evita etc. it's a tradition for musical adaptations at this point.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

just saw the new La La Land trailer and I think it's pretty much safe to say that this movie just cannot lose this category with its awards season momentum being a great musical film. It's so damn good and emotive and uplifting that if its main song that they're gonna push, be it Audition or not, is playing a big part in the film to its emotional core then it'll be a hands down win. LMM will always have another chance for that EGOT. I honestly have less faith in the chance of How Far I'll Go winning

annnnd I flipped my mind yet again, I think "How Far I'll Go" still does stand a good chance. (starts at 00:55 mark)

It is a standalone contender from Moana and Lin's EGOT narrative would be still very attractive to the industry people.

LLL has two great songs, "City of Stars" and "Audition", and while I don't believe in the split-voting-hurts-the-chance-of-winning theory cause it wasn't actually proven to be,

but with a strong single competition like HFIG it actually might.. maybe I'm just having wishful thinking in favor of Moana. hahaha

• Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 1:28 AM, yjs said:

I hope this is an durring credits song, it's way to poppy and modern for my taste and doesn't sound like they put much thought into the instrumental part of it. the girl's voice is very pretty, but definitely not the best Disney song I've heard. It might work better in the context of the film though.

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

I hope this is an durring credits song, it's way to poppy and modern for my taste and doesn't sound like they put much thought into the instrumental part of it. the girl's voice is very pretty, but definitely not the best Disney song I've heard. It might work better in the context of the film though.

That is a pop version for the ending credit. The original movie cut is up there in the video that I posted at 0:55 mark. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

The quoted version isn't the film version, it's the pop version, similar to the end credits version of Let It Go. I'm looking forward to the film version, I think it'll be great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i could see 2 songs from la la land + 2 songs from moana + rando 5th song. right now leaning towards the Common song from 13th which is better than the common song from Selma.

not sure about LLL but Disney might strategically submit just one song to prevent split voting just like they did with Let It Go.