The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 52

Ratatouille (2007)

44 Points (18 Votes, Avg Score 44.7222)

ratatouille.10390.jpg

" If you focus on what you left behind you will never see what lies ahead!"

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (31, -21), 2013 (62, +10), 2012 (51, -1)

Tomatometer: 96%

Box Office: 206.45m (257.46m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: A rat named Remy dreams of becoming a great French chef despite his family's wishes and the obvious problem of being a rat in a decidedly rodent-phobic profession. When fate places Remy in the sewers of Paris, he finds himself ideally situated beneath a restaurant made famous by his culinary hero, Auguste Gusteau. Despite the apparent dangers of being an unlikely - and certainly unwanted - visitor in the kitchen of a fine French restaurant, Remy's passion for cooking soon sets into motion a hilarious and exciting rat race that turns the culinary world of Paris upside down. 

Critic Opinion: "Thus, tolerance is the driving theme underpinning Ratatouille, another winning animated adventure from the good folks at Pixar. Not only funny, engaging and entertaining from beginning to end, but a picture which delivers an abundance of heartwarming messages.

That rare film which can be heartily recommended for the whole family, except maybe for those tykes who might be scared by its super-realistic depiction of rodents." - Kam Williams

User Opinion: "It's beautiful. I loved this magnificent ass movie." - angeldelmito

Personal Comment: Pixar comes in with their second movie on our countdown, and also the fourth animated movie so far.  Ratatouille also marks the 10th movie from the 2000s decade on our countdown, tying the decade with the 80s for the second most amount of movies on our countdown so far.  Ratatouille was one of Pixar's smaller films, and usually not as well remembered as the massive hits like Finding Nemo or Toy Story 3, but the film has garnered a strong fanbase, especially on the internet.  Ratatouille is also Brad Bird's first film to make the countdown, Bird being best known for his strong animated works and hit-or-miss record for live action.  Ratatouille is an intelligent and clean animation that is very hard to not at the very least admire.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

giphy.gif

Oh if you like this one you'll just love number 50.

EDIT: Number 50, oops nearly skipped to soon in glee to get to it.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't care for Ratatouille. But I recognize that a lot of people love it and accept that it would likely be on this list.

See, it's not so hard!

37390533.jpg

• Like 2

Number 51

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

45 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 35.9266)

b70-7814

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more."

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (54, +3), 2013 (63, +12), 2012 (39, -12)

Tomatometer: 99%

Box Office: N/A

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: In this charming film based on the popular L. Frank Baum stories, Dorothy and her dog Toto are caught in a tornado's path and somehow end up in the land of Oz. Here she meets some memorable friends and foes in her journey to meet the Wizard of Oz who everyone says can help her return home and possibly grant her new friends their goals of a brain, heart and courage.

Critic Opinion: "One of Hollywood's quintessential productions, this musical adaptation of L Frank Baum's classic fable is probably the most beloved fantasy film of all time and the ultimate family picture. It has something for everyone: wonderfully strange lands, fun-scary moments, a dazzling assortment of fairy-tale characters, fabulous songs to take us all somewhere over the rainbow, a peerless Judy Garland performance, and meaningful messages in abundance. Continuously enthralling, this is one hardy perennial you can never tire of watching."

User Opinion: "I watched The Wizard of Oz once again last night, and I have to say its one of those movies where you totally understand why it has reached the iconic status it has. The whole movie is just pleasure from start to finish, leaving no dead scenes or awkward, useless moments. Its the real deal. As far as kids movies go it doesn't get much better than The Wizard of Oz: there are likable characters, colorful, detailed environments, fun songs that stay in your head, scary bits and menacing villains and there's always something going on. I bet even the most ADD kid wouldn't be bored watching Oz. 

The effect Wizard of Oz has had on popular culture can't probably be measured. Every scene in the movie has been referenced at least once in some tv show, movie, podcast or cartoon. All the characters have become iconic images of cinematic history, and the songs still hold up and are well remembered by everyone who has seen the film.

Wizard of Oz is actually a movie I'd consider perfect. I cant find a single flaw in it." - Jack Nevada

Personal Comment: Coming in at number 51 is another one of our few musicals, The Wizard of Oz.  The Wizard of Oz is the first film from the 1930s to appear on our countdown and it is well-earned.  This movie is one of my top 5 favorites of all-time, as is it ranked among the top in the hearts of many.  The film has a nostalgic sweetness as it's almost like a tradition, similar to It's a Wonderful Life.  The movie doesn't lose any of its fun and splendor, despite its age, and the musical numbers and quotes are some that are forever ingrained into pop culture.  The movie is one I can never help but to let my heart go and get teary eyed in memory every time I watch it and all of its perfect beauty.  If I was to say a certain movie was the most popular movie in America (looking past all age and ethnic demographics) I'd reckon The Wizard of Oz would be right up there at the top.

• Like 16

On 18/05/2016 at 1:57 AM, Telemachos said:

Going just vaguely off genre here:

Black Swan - try The Red Shoes or Black Narcissus

Gone Girl - try Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, Body Heat, Lady from Shanghai, Chinatown

True Grit - how about The Wild Bunch, Unforgiven, High Noon, or Once Upon a Time in the West

Now You See Me - The Sting

Looper - 12 Monkeys

Spotlight - All the President's Men, Network,

Argo - 3 Days of the Condor, Day of the Jackal, Manchurian Candidate, The Hunt for Red October

Shutter Island - Jacob's Ladder, Seconds

Robin Hood - Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) :P, The Wind and the Lion, The Man Who Would Be King

Winter's Bone - Five Easy Pieces, Paris Texas, The Grapes of Wrath

Thanks for the suggestions, I saw Once Upon a Time in the West and it was excellent, will definitely be on my next list.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 51

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

45 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 35.9266)

b70-7814

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more."

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (54, +3), 2013 (63, +12), 2012 (39, -12)

Tomatometer: 99%

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: In this charming film based on the popular L. Frank Baum stories, Dorothy and her dog Toto are caught in a tornado's path and somehow end up in the land of Oz. Here she meets some memorable friends and foes in her journey to meet the Wizard of Oz who everyone says can help her return home and possibly grant her new friends their goals of a brain, heart and courage.

Critic Opinion: "One of Hollywood's quintessential productions, this musical adaptation of L Frank Baum's classic fable is probably the most beloved fantasy film of all time and the ultimate family picture. It has something for everyone: wonderfully strange lands, fun-scary moments, a dazzling assortment of fairy-tale characters, fabulous songs to take us all somewhere over the rainbow, a peerless Judy Garland performance, and meaningful messages in abundance. Continuously enthralling, this is one hardy perennial you can never tire of watching."

User Opinion: "I watched The Wizard of Oz once again last night, and I have to say its one of those movies where you totally understand why it has reached the iconic status it has. The whole movie is just pleasure from start to finish, leaving no dead scenes or awkward, useless moments. Its the real deal. As far as kids movies go it doesn't get much better than The Wizard of Oz: there are likable characters, colorful, detailed environments, fun songs that stay in your head, scary bits and menacing villains and there's always something going on. I bet even the most ADD kid wouldn't be bored watching Oz. 

The effect Wizard of Oz has had on popular culture can't probably be measured. Every scene in the movie has been referenced at least once in some tv show, movie, podcast or cartoon. All the characters have become iconic images of cinematic history, and the songs still hold up and are well remembered by everyone who has seen the film.

Wizard of Oz is actually a movie I'd consider perfect. I cant find a single flaw in it." - Jack Nevada

Personal Comment: Coming in at number 51 is another one of our few musicals, The Wizard of Oz.  The Wizard of Oz is the first film from the 1930s to appear on our countdown and it is well-earned.  This movie is one of my top 5 favorites of all-time, as is it ranked among the top in the hearts of many.  The film has a nostalgic sweetness as it's almost like a tradition, similar to It's a Wonderful Life.  The movie doesn't lose any of its fun and splendor, despite its age, and the musical numbers and quotes are some that are forever ingrained into pop culture.  The movie is one I can never help but to let my heart go and get teary eyed in memory every time I watch it and all of its perfect beauty.  If I was to say a certain movie was the most popular movie in America (looking past all age and ethnic demographics) I'd reckon The Wizard of Oz would be right up there at the top.

os8WVZ0.gif

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Baumer's favorite movie of all-time is up next.

Kane?  Kane actually made the list?

Colbert-flip-the-bird-flipping-the-bird-

• Like 4

Number 50

Citizen Kane (1941)

45 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 35.1429)

Citizen_Kane-427362774-large.jpg

"Rosebud."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (83, +32), 2013 (64, +14), 2012 (53, +3)

Tomatometer: 100%

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Being hailed the greatest movie of all time by AFI and many critics circles

IMDb Synopsis: A group of reporters are trying to decipher the last word ever spoken by Charles Foster Kane, the millionaire newspaper tycoon: "Rosebud." The film begins with a news reel detailing Kane's life for the masses, and then from there, we are shown flashbacks from Kane's life. As the reporters investigate further, the viewers see a display of a fascinating man's rise to fame, and how he eventually fell off the top of the world.

Critic Opinion: "But check that off to the absorption of Mr. Welles in more visible details. Like the novelist, Thomas Wolfe, his abundance of imagery is so great that it sometimes gets in the way of his logic. And the less critical will probably be content with an undefined Kane, anyhow. After all, nobody understood him. Why should Mr. Welles? Isn't it enough that he presents a theatrical character with consummate theatricality?

We would, indeed, like to say as many nice things as possible about everything else in this film—about the excellent direction of Mr. Welles, about the sure and penetrating performances of literally every member of the cast and about the stunning manner in which the music of Bernard Herrmann has been used. Space, unfortunately, is short. All we can say, in conclusion, is that you shouldn't miss this film. It is cynical, ironic, sometimes oppressive and as realistic as a slap. But it has more vitality than fifteen other films we could name. And, although it may not give a thoroughly clear answer, at least it brings to mind one deeply moral thought: For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? See "Citizen Kane" for further details." - Bosley Crowther

User Opinion: "We judge a movie by its execution of the story. The execution is revolutionary. Because a story had never been told that way in cinema. It's just set a standard in illustrating "The rise and fall of a character". It invented a new cinematographic language most directors use nowadays on daily basis. I mean Nolan built his whole schtick of fragmented narrative puzzle and convoluted temporality on Citizen Kane, 60 years after its release!

What other movies of that era can brag about that? You can't dissociate its story to the way it is narrated. That's what makes Citizen Kane the achievement and the crown jewel it is in movie history." - dashrender44

Personal Comment: Just barely beating out the Wizard of Oz in the the closest the list has come to a tie is the all-time classic Citizen Kane.  Citizen Kane is only the second movie from the 1940s to make the list, and it comes on the countdown higher than it ever has before.  This movie seems to have gathered a small, devoted group of people who are sour of the movie from the over-hype that inevitably comes with being the constantly hailed as the greatest movie ever made, but even then it's hard to argue that the craft that took to make this movie was monumental.  The film has a very interesting legacy of starting with disdain for it, even to the point where the movie was boo'ed when it received its one Oscar.  Since then it was re-discovered and has influenced filmmakers and inspired members of the industry who were able to realize just how revolutionary this movie was, and how far ahead of its time it was in narrative structure and the unbelievable cinematography being pulled off.

• Like 15